on 21 January 2014
No I didn't mean lovely butt, just to clear that up.

OK this hub is really well made. Very sturdy and solid.

It isn't very heavy though and slides around, so it comes with a handy velcro sticky if you must use it.

The downside, and the reason for 4 stars, is the stupid angle that the main cable enters the device at.

You will be able to see in the pictures. When I got it and set it up, I very nearly sent it back as it is ludicrously stupid to have a cable hanging at such an angle.

Ho hum.

Other than that, please remember it is a bus powered hub so you won't be hanging desktop hard drives off it. Fine for portable drives, flash drives, keyboard, mice etc.

Damn that stupid cable... it's annoying the hell out of me.
review image review image
on 29 January 2015
Excellent staple piece of kit - only criticism is that the connection cable is VERY short!
on 24 December 2013
Wow I was very impressed with the feel, build and functionality of this USB 3 Hub!

I have a Windows Ultrabook and a Apple Macbook air and both laptops are skimping on the amount of USB 3 connections so I desperately needed more for all my peripherals.

After much research, I decided to go with the Anker USB 3.0 4 Port Aluminum hub as it matches my aluminum laptops. And I could not be happier after receiving it, it is super sleek and works great exactly like it should. It has a high quality finish and the ports are angled exactly right for each access to add and remove USB connectors.

Delivery:
Well package and fast delivery! I got my item in 2 days.

Packaging:
Wow the packaging itself is a work of art! It comes in a small high quality cardboard box bound by a nice smooth product paper.
Inside the usb hub, usb 3 cable, velcro straps, and instructions fit snugly but comfortably. The way these items are packed are professional and unpacking is just a wonder!!

Included Items:
USB 3.0 Hub - very nice and sleek aluminum finish. Very compact and well designs. The 4 ports have ample space between them for large bulky connector heads.

USB 3.0 Cable - 2 feet long. Long enough for me to manage the cable on my desk to my laptop so I can place it where I want. Very high quality; Not too thick, just the right thickness

Velcro sticky pads - Very nice addition to add to the item as I can put them on so the hub doesn't move around on my desk but I can easily remove it if I wanted to. I decided not to use it as I usually use double sided mounting tape to mount things to my desk

Performance:
Works very well with USB flash drives, hard drivers, mice, keyboards, webcams. It took everything that I threw at it with no problem or slow down. It was able to handle everything without noticeable lag.
My read and write speeds for the usb hard drive actually increased using this hub than plugging it directly into the computer.
It served my purpose very well as I am able to have more connections for my ultrabooks now and it looks great and blends right in as if it were made for them.

I will definitely recommend this product to friends and family. I will probably need more connections in the future and will be taking a look at the Anker powered 7 port USB 3.0 Hub!
on 19 December 2013
When the USB hub arrived the first thing that really stood out to me was the size it was a lot smaller than I was expecting and a lot smaller than any hub I've had before. The second thing I noticed was the quality! It looks more expensive than the price and wouldn't look out of place in an apple store. The USB hub seems to be an apple like design which fits perfectly with my Mac mini. The hub is very light and comes with Velcro so you can attach it to your desk top. I have mine on a tv stand which is plastic and it grips on there perfectly without the need for the Velcro. As I have already mentioned the first thing that stood out was the size which is about an inch and a half long so is very neat and tidy. I tested the hubs speeds with my SANDISK 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 FLASH DRIVE I pugged it directly into the USB 3.0 port on my Mac mini tested the speed then I did the same but through the USB hub and the speeds were the same. There isn't any driver required it is plug and play not a lot more to say on that very user friendly. From my point a view having a Mac mini you really benefit from the extra USB ports the hub gives you, the Mac mini has four ports and I have an external DVD writer pugged which takes up two of the ports leaving only two that can be used. Now I have the new USB hub not only do I have access to five ports ( one more than I had originally ) but I can leave the DVD writer plugged in at all times. Obviously most pc or mac users want or need more USB ports but from the point of view go a mac owner like myself I can't recommend the hub highly enough, it has the looks to match a mac and wouldn't look out of place in any office. I was reading another review and that mentioned about the angle at which the cable plugs in, I understand what he means with the angle it plugs in at ( 45 degrees ) but this is just a minor negative in an overall quality product. I would recommend this product to any one ( especially Mac mini users )who are looking for a USB 3.0 hub at a good price.
on 27 December 2013
I am using the hub on a mid 2011 27" iMac which does not have USB 3 - but I needed a hub for plugging in USB memory sticks etc that looked good next to my iMac.

I want the USB 3 because it was the same price as the USB 2 one I had seen elsewhere on Amazon but was 'forward' compatible for when I add USB3 to this iMac or buy a new one. This one is advertised as backwardly compatible with USB2 so saw it as a no brainer.

Couldn't get the hub to work with any of the small pile of memory sticks hard drives, webcams etc.

Then I switch the cable out from another USB3 device, actually I checked it against a few different USB3 cables and everything started working.

Putting the original cable back on it and everything fails again.

So, it looks like the hub works great but the cable is dodgy, even when the hub light comes on.

It may be OK for USB3 all they way through, I have no way of testing it.

For me I have a spare USB3 lead so will continue to use this and will test it again when I get a computer with USB3.

UPDATE 1Jan 2014

I was incredibly surprised to be contacted by the manufacturer/supplier responding to my review. Talk about pro active support!!!!

After a few quick email exchanges these guys put everything right without fuss or drama!,

Excellent.

So now ***** :-)
on 31 January 2014
EDIT: 28 February 2014.
Having given this product one star and written the review below Anker swung into action and gave me excellent customer service so full marks for that. In spite of having returned the hub for a refund they immediately sent me a free hub (the black rectangular version) which I review elsewhere. This is my earlier review of the Anker AH430 USB: -

"I had high hopes of this hub, it looks good and is beautifully packed but unfortunately it did not work on my Mac computer OS X (version 10.8.5). According to the instructions it should have been compatible. I had slight worries when I found that when I plugged the lead into the hub it didn't hold securely and was easily displaced. I tested it out using my card reader but it made no connection. i also tried the usb wireless adaptor which works with my wireless mouse and keyboard. That didn't work either. I wondered whether the loose connection was to blame.

I bought a tiny 4 port Belkin hub at the same time for less than a third of the price to use with my laptop. Ironically this works perfectly on my Mac."
on 20 January 2014
I had been looking for a good USB 3 hub for a while and struggled to find one that was good looking and reasonably priced.

I had looked at the Satechi Aluminium USB hub but the new version which is USB 3 is extremely ugly and was poorly designed.

This one however is perfect, it has a very attractive design and only one cable which is perfect for me. People looking to plugin portable hard drives or looking to use this for charging need to bear in mind that it is bus powered so cannot run too many power hungry devices of it.

Another rather strange thing is that charging and iPad from it with it being the only device plugged into it still does not charge the device properly but I believe this is to be expected as the iPad requires 2A which USB is not designed to output.
on 11 January 2014
I ordered this USB docks after googling for some good USB docks.

The name of Anker came up and although I wasn't familiar with this producer I felt the positive experiences gave it a good reputation.
I ordered this and got it in time as discribed.

Having used this on both a desktop with USB 3.0 and a laptop that only runs USB 2.0. I can say it works excellently.
It's not a very heavy dock yet it feels sturdy and sleek. I used to have other docks that were so light weight that not fully uncoiled cable would pull it back.
It comes with a nice velcro strip which I believe is a nice touch in case you wish to install in permanently.

All in all good experiences and I would recommend this to all who wish to have a 3.0 USB port.
on 11 March 2014
I'm a big fan of Anker products, owning 2 of their external batteries. So when I was in the market for a new USB hub, I thought I'd give this one a go.

Although I don't have a Mac, I do have a Dell laptop which has a brushed aluminium case, and it appeared from the pictures on the Amazon site that this hub would be a good match. I didn't actually need a USB 3.0 HUB since my laptop only has USB 2.0 ports, but I figured it would be worth it in case I upgraded any of my kit in the future.

Whenever you buy an Anker product, the 1st thing you'll notice is the exceptional packaging ... this HUB is no exception. It came in a strong cardboard box, and outer sleeve. Everything inside was well packaged. I usually throw packaging away, but I always keep my Anker boxes as they are so strong and useful for keeping odds and ends in !

The actual hub is in a thing of beauty. It totally matches my laptop. It comes with a cable which is about 50cm long, and is very sturdy. The USB plug fits well into my PC and the other USB 3.0 end also fits well into the hub itself. Other people have commented on the USB 3.0 plug being a bit loose in the Hub, but I've not had that problem.

As it states on the description, this is non powered hub, so you can't really use it for high current items such as external drives. I use it for memory sticks, external keyboard and my USB mouse. This means I can free up my remaining laptop ports for external discs and the like.

And at Christmas time, my USB snowman will be able to run off it too !

All in all, I've very happy with the hub, and would recommend it to all ( Mac or PC users alike ). As with all Anker products, this comes with an 18 month guarantee, and Anker are well known for their exceptional customer service.

My only concern is the Anker logo on the front .... if I leave this item lying around at work, then I'm sure some joker will add an extra letter at the beginning with a permanent marker !!!
on 16 February 2015
I have been using the hub for few months now, and I'm very impressed with the feel, build and functionality of this USB 3 Hub!

I have a Apple Macbook Pro Retina and iMac and it works flawlessly on both Mac's. I tend to use it with the iMac more.

Included Items:

Performance:
Works very well with USB flash drives, hard drivers, mice, keyboards, webcams. It took everything that I threw at it with no problem. Sometimes it did struggle with 2TB portable hard drives.

My read and write speeds were comparable to that of the Mac
It served my purpose very well as I am able to have more connections on my iMac.

I will definitely recommend this product to friends and family.