Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£1.99

on 12 July 2015
very sweet book
on 5 May 2014
As I started to read this book, I found that I was getting more emotionally attached to these characters and the storyline than I have any other book. The main characters of Alison and Darcy were very relatable, likable and their background stories and their personalities were what I connected with emotionally. I love reading books, that are easy to read, flow effortlessly and grab my attention throughout. This certainly was that.
The other characters and their stories fit in well to the story too. The storyline was good and I think, delicately done. Also, to have an alternate ending was a great idea. Both were good endings in their own right. I myself was happy with both of them, but I have a preference for one. (my secret lol)
I will definitely not forget this book. It will stay with me for a while. I finished the book and was a little depressed that it hadn't gone on forever. I will and already have recommended this book to friends.
Please read this book, I really enjoyed it. An excellent read!
on 11 January 2014
I'm fairly new to the LGBT fiction scene, and I've only read a few other works before this.

A basic breakdown of the story is that the main character is facing a terrible situation in her personal life, and right at her lowest moment meets Darcy, a young, beautiful lesbian who she begins to fall in love with.

The writing in the book is completely addictive. I knocked it off in less than two days. Some of the adventures that the characters go on are fantastic and the descriptions of even their smallest actions are just beautiful. As other reviewers have mentioned, the last few chapters are particularly fascinating given the open interpretation of the story they offer the reader - a technique not used often enough in my opinion.

And yet I give this book four stars. Why? A few reasons. First, I felt distinctly uncomfortable at times in the book. It's hard to say too much without giving a part of the story away, but the protagonist settles in to her fixation with Darcy far too easily in my opinion. There doesn't seem to be any real dilemma as a married woman. I can't imagine how she felt or what she was going through, but there were definitely a huge number of moments in the book where she came off as being completely callous, and even unlikeable. Her friend, Jazz, would sometimes mention this, only to apologise later and say she was wrong. Even when the story descends into what effectively was cheating, there's no trace of guilt - just of self preservation and instinct.
Again, I repeat that it's brilliant to read about this... but I'm not sure if I liked her feelings/emotions about the issue at all, or rather, the lack of any real contemplation about these issues.
There's some discussion, but not enough in my opinion, of her transition from being a married woman to falling in love and discovering her lesbian sexuality. I'm not gay, and not even a woman, so perhaps I just don't understand how these things happen, but I expected more inner turmoil, more confusion, more guilt regarding her husband - instead it all happens. Quickly!

My second issue with the book was a lack of conflict. Again, this is a personal thing. As someone with gay friends, I'm always fascinated to see how society behaves and reacts when someone comes out. There's no real discussion of that here. That's okay, it's not to everyone's taste, but I would have liked to hear more about it.

Having said that, I feel with any book the important thing isn't that the story is perfect for you, but rather that the journey throughout is one you're glad to have experienced. I found the book fascinating, I finished it quickly and I've been left to contemplate the characters after finishing. You can't ask for much more than that. Therefore, my verdict? Recommended.
on 28 December 2013
Angela's quick witted writing style and fun insight into the character's minds make this book an easy-yet-interesting read. Her British approach to important matters in life make you laugh whilst pondering how you would approach similar situations.

It is impossible not to care for Darcy, a young woman that has already had her heart broken, and Ali, a woman in her 30s struggling with facing bad news regarding her immediate family - how their relationship develops and how each deals with the struggles they need to face.

Angela's approach is realistic and not at all fairy-tale like, as some of our beloved les-fic authors tend to write, which feels like a breath of fresh air. You can relate to both characters at all times, and you root for them! And, as it should be, you don't really know if they will end up together or not until the very, very end. Will Ali and Darcy work their issues out and live happy ever after? Check out "Playing my love" to find out.
on 1 January 2014
Could not get enough of this, love the alternate endings and the right to choose (we all know what the obvious choice would be!) Writing is beautiful, amazing job! Five stars from me!
on 4 January 2014
Absolutely the best book I've read in a LONG time.. highly recommended.
Brilliantly written, and completely genuine to real life experience. I loved this book.
on 3 June 2014
I've become a huge fan of Angela Peach over the course of her writing, watching it progress with every new idea; and each book is a testament to this, showing off her amazing ability to wrap the reader around her little finger!
Playing my Love marks an intriguing change in her usual tendencies for the supernatural, creating a beautiful family of characters that anyone could relate to, as they deal with the realities of romance in the face of tragedy.
I loved the comedic personalities, with scenes purposefully detailed to make you literally laugh out loud!
This is a story full of heat, heart, and the inner turmoils involved in forcing yourself to make life changing decisions.
The biggest decision, however, is left to the reader with the addition of an alternate ending, which actually made for a refreshing change. Personally, I don't think the story would have worked without both; for once I wasn't left feeling dissatisfied, or patronised by an obvious finish to the narrative. You're left with something to think about, even after you've read the last page.
So whether you're a hopeless romantic, or a logical realist, the character's fates are in your hands. Loved it.
on 17 March 2014
I love this book because it allows you to choose who the main characters end up with and although I was cheering on Alison and Darcy from the beginning I actually found that by the end I preferred them ending up with different people because their problems and lives were irreconcilable in the real world. Honestly this book was great and surprised me with it's natural feeling and honesty about how the world and relationships work.
on 1 February 2016
Just once in while I like to read something completely different to the usual Lee Child / McNab genre and I can't quite recall how I stumbled across this book but I am very glad I did. It's really well written and definitely not at all Mills and Boon but it is a lesbian love story and Angela builds and breaks the sexual tension and the highs and lows brilliantly. It was such a joy to read a totally different book to my usual norm and I suspect that the Author has had to deal with some of the issues personally such as the dreaded C, the value of friendship and bi-love and that should be commended. Somewhat controversially, I would recommend this book to any woman (young or old) who has or is struggling with their own sexuality - the message I got was that it was OK to feel this way and thankfully the world is a lot more accepting of same sex relationships, which is not something I know but the author really portrayed it all beautifully. Darcy, Ali and Sam are obviously all gorgeous and as for Jazz; she sounds totally fab and just the kind of friend everyone needs, male or female. I rather like the double ending but I'll let you decide for yourself which one is for you.
on 29 December 2013
Didn't want to put this book down, loved all the characters and the choice of endings!! Can't wait to read more from this author :)