Format: Kindle Edition|Change

on 11 December 2013
I was only a few paragraphs into Rebecca Berto's `Pulling Me Under', when I knew that this author was about to take me on an unforgettable journey. So as soon as `Entwine' was released, I downloaded it immediately and proceeded to devour it over the course of one night.

In Entwine, as always, Rebecca Berto has created some amazingly realistic characters that I find so easy to connect to. Sarah Langham's introduction in this story gives us a clear indication of her, at first not overtly obvious, vulnerable nature through her internal dilemma of whether or not to make her attraction clear when she is confronted with the rather sexy stranger Malik on her train journey home. Her thoughts and actions immediately had me connecting with her as not a character, but a real person. Rebecca Berto set the scene perfectly, giving a sense of what the train commute home is like and this really had me invested in the characters and story due to the realism she created within them. One scene that really sticks in my mind was where Sarah agrees to spend the evening with Malik in the nearby shopping centre, but immediately begins to worry about going off with him. This was brilliant as it reminds readers that a nice hot fast-paced romance in a book is all well and good, but in reality going off with a male stranger can have dangerous consequences.

I loved the storyline in `Entwine'. I'm a bit of a sucker for a bit of an age gap between my hero and heroine, possibly because I like the idea that older men have more life experience whilst younger women can bring a fresh sense of fun to a relationship with an older guy. The relationship that developed between Malik and Sarah was beautiful, and I loved the instant connection they had. Something about them meeting on a train had the romantic in me squealing (I blame Harry Potter for this obsession I have with trains), and I really enjoyed the banter they shared in the not-so-pleasant predicament of being delayed on a train, which brightened the moment for them.

I really admire Rebecca Berto for the ease with which she pulls off tricky subjects in her books. This book dips into a few different issues showing the effects of alcoholism, abandonment, adultery and how these things don't just affect the relationship between a couple, but also the relationships that their children will form based on what they have experienced from their parents. Sarah's vulnerability and difficulty feeling content in her adult relationships gave a clear indication of what having a cheating parent can cause, especially when that parent becomes a less permanent feature in their life.

The author's writing style is simply wonderful. `Entwine' has a perfect blend of prose-like and matter-of-fact language which I absolutely adored. Something I find saddening with a lot of contemporary fiction today is that good old fashioned `showing and not telling' is often ignored in favour of having the reader get to the nitty gritty drama of the storyline more quickly instead of pacing the story. The use of `Then' and `Now' for the flashback scenes to Sarah's childhood was executed perfectly, and allowed us to have snippets of information about Sarah's past at a more suspenseful pace, allowing the reader to become more intrigued about the reasons behind Sarah's abandonment and trust issues, rather than giving away Sarah's entire childhood story at the start of the story.

This was a clever, thought-provoking, emotional and hot romantic read. I absolutely adored it and can't wait for the next in the series. I need me some more Malik!
on 25 November 2013
This is the third book I've read by this author & my favourite.
This book goes back and forth from when Sarah was younger to the present day.
On her first day at work she meets an intriguing stranger... This is their story. And what a story it is. I certainly didn't expect this twist.
Thoroughly enjoyed this story... Well done to the author :)
Received in return for an honest review.
on 10 April 2014
The characters are good and strong despite the age difference, I found the book boring and bland at times. I found it wondering off in another direction. I skipped a large portion of this book because at times it was boring. It just didn't keep my attention. I wasn't able to connect tot he characters or feel the situations etc. Didn't like the book over all. sorry
on 13 February 2014
At the beginning it was a bit slow starting for me trying to get in to the then and now chapters but after the fourth of going back and forth between then and now you get to see how relevant it is to the story.. But even saying that, I loved the book read it in a day couldn't put it down!! Great author!!
on 27 February 2014
Arc received from the author in exchange for an honest review.

Cover :- 5 stars

Book Pairing:- M/F
Did it give me a book hangover :- No
Is this a review book or personal read :- Review

Why I chose this book?

I was given an arc from the author.

What I liked about this book.

* A few good twists within the book.
* The cover is great
* The writing flowed well

What I didn't like about this book.

* Some of the flash backs seemed to happen at random times.
* It was a bit winded in places.

Would I read more from this author?

Undecided

Would I recommend this book?

Yes but only to romance readers.
on 5 December 2013
My Thoughts:

The mysteriousness of this one led me to requesting it. It seemed like it would be one of those easy to read yet deeper kind of novels. And it was a lot like that.

When Sarah and Malik meet, you can feel the same pull they do. So as things develop for them, you're invested in their relationship despite how fast it happens. You find out early on what connects them, and when it's discovered, that's when it gets interesting. It wasn't what I was expecting before picking it up, but as I was reading, I had a feeling this was where it was leading. It does really add to the intensity of the story, although there were times I wasn't feeling it, especially when some of the discovery leads to certain events happening. While I did get a little frustrated, I was still very interested in finding out what happens next for Sarah and Malik, and everyone else.

Entwine turned out to be as intriguing as the synopsis made it sound. The romance between Sarah and Malik sizzles, and you're rooting for them to press on through the troubles. Rebecca Berto is very good at creating a story line that catches you and doesn't let go. I look forward to checking out other novels of hers!

My Rating: Very Good
on 9 December 2013
This book just wasn't for me sorry I found it boring and started skipping chapters I didn't like Sarah or Malik and I couldn't get into the story at all sorry.
on 10 April 2014
Wow what a story. Was a bit slow to start but loved it overall. The twist in the storyline was Omg. Different but catchy.
on 3 May 2014
Liked the beginning but felt it was rushed. Not enough depth but worth a read. Won't bother reading the sequel x