High Hopes
Format: Audio CD|Change

HALL OF FAMETOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 13 May 2014
I really bought this version of High Hopes for the bonus DVD so I consider the CD as a bit of an extra! The music on the CD is not bad - nowhere near classic Bruce however - and I'll probably play it a few times before it gets filed away. However the DVD shows Bruce and the E Street Band can still put on a live show like very few other bands can manage!

I saw Bruce and the band on the original Born in the U.S.A. tour at Wembley in July 1985 and it may just be the best live gig I've ever seen; watching the DVD of the concert from the Olympic Park brought back many happy memories of that summers night. If you have been less than impressed by Bruce's recent work this DVD will show you why he is still the Boss live.

The DVD features all the tracks from the Born in the U.S.A. album in track running order and played by as many of the classic E Street Band as are still with us. The line up includes:

The E Street Band:

* Bruce Springsteen - lead vocals, lead guitar, rhythm guitar, acoustic guitar, harmonica
* Roy Bittan - piano, synthesizer
* Charles Giordano - organ, background vocals (replaces the late Danny Federici)
* Nils Lofgren - rhythm guitar, lead guitar, acoustic guitar, background vocals
* Garry Tallent - bass guitar, background vocals
* Soozie Tyrell - violin, acoustic guitar, percussion, background vocals
* Steven Van Zandt - rhythm guitar, lead guitar, mandolin, acoustic guitar, background vocals,
* Max Weinberg - drums

The E Street Horns:

* Jake Clemons - saxophone, percussion, background vocals (nephew of the late Clarence)
* Barry Danielian - trumpet, percussion

* Cindy Mizelle - background vocals, tambourine
* Michelle Moore - background vocals, rapping on Rocky Ground
* Everett Bradley - percussion, background vocals

Special guests:

* Adele Springsteen (Bruce's mum comes on stage for "Dancing in the Dark")
* Pamela Springsteen (Bruce's sister sings on "Dancing in the Dark")

If you were at the 2013 concert you've probably bought this already - if you weren't there but like classic Bruce and the E Street Band then buy this limited edition version of High Hopes while it is still available. Five stars for the DVD alone - I'm just sorry I wasn't there myself!
3 people found this helpful
on 28 July 2014
For a long time after I bought this, I'd want to get in my car and listen to it when I was doing other things. Sometimes I'd finding myself wanting to listen to it even when I was already listening to it. Whilst this is nominally a ragbag of re-recordings of old material, to my mind, it's his best album since The Rising. There are one or two misfires on this-a cover of The Saints' Just Like Fire Wood doesn't really work-but, in the main, it's a set of wonderful songs. The re-imagining of the Ghost of Tom Joad, in particular, is one of the most viscerally thrilling things I've ever heard, The Hunter Of Invisible Game is beautifully strange and, in Vietnam Memorial The Wall, Springsteen manages to do in four minutes something Oliver Stone didn't quite manage to pull off over the course of three films. This might be a collection of off-cuts, but it's better than a lot of his rival's proper albums.
One person found this helpful
on 31 January 2014
I am just an ordinary The Boss fan loving the hits Born In The USA, Hungry Hearts, I'm On Fire, Dancing In The Dark, Tunnel Of Love, Brilliant Disguise, Born To Run and etc. Born In The USA,Tunnel Of Love and Human Touch are all the albums by Bruce Springsteen that I know, I own, I love and I listened to last time.

On instant listen, I was down to giving 3 stars to this. But the more I listened, the better it started to sound. For the first two weeks, only High Hopes was playing in my iPod and nothing else. Now I rate it more than 5 stars. Listening from the MP3 downloads didn't satisfy me. I bought the normal CD version which was not in a standard jewel case format but sleeve. Still unsatisfied, I had it replaced with the deluxe version with concert DVD of the classic songs. Now happy.

I found this album similar to Human Touch. In this album I understood why they say how Jon Bon Jovi very much wants to sing like Bruce Springsteen. My favourite songs are High Hopes, Harry's Place, American Skin, Just Like Fire Would, Down In The Hole, Heaven's Wall, Frankie Fell In Love, Hunter Of Invisible Game, The Ghost Of Tom Joad, The Wall and Dream Baby Dream. Oh that means all songs, the whole album. The Boss rocks. \,,/,
on 15 March 2014
You see, the thing is, if music is worth anything you have to give it time. And if you play this album over a few times you start to realise its true value and that there is nothing really to match it nowadays. This is Bruce at his best. He is probably a genius in his field. He is still at the top of his game and there is no one who comes close. At last they seem to have given his music the production values it demands. And the introduction of Tom Morello is a stroke of er... genius. I saw Bruce twice last year at Wembley and in Cardiff and although the sound was a little ropey at times I think we have to have treasure the guy while he is around because once he's gone there will be no one to take his place in the same way.
One person found this helpful
on 7 February 2014
A new album from Bruce Springsteen is something I always look forward to. This was no different and the anticipation was fulfilled. Although I am still digesting this new offereing fully this is a fully enjoyable experience.Tom's contributoin has introduced a different and intereing domention to the overall sound of the group Of course, and like anyone else, I already have my favourites but I found it particularly pleasureable to hear contributions from Danny and 'The Big Man' again- very nostalgic I look forward to the next visiit from Bruce and the bnand to the UK
on 29 August 2015
The best thing for a decade and more. Put simply the best since 'The Rising' and right up there with his greats. An absolute return to form. I hesitated for ages about buying it due the fact that his last few albums have been decidedly average - this is hopefully the beginning of a retrin to the great albums that littered his career up to an including the aforementioned 'The Rising'. Wonderful.
on 25 February 2014
This is a great CD of old and new Bruce material. I love the opening track to the closer, American Skin is always going to be a favorite of mine. Great guitar work from Tom Norello as well as all the usual supects. A CD that is so alive.

The other superbedition to this CD is the Born In The USA live CD recorded in full at The Olympic Park, London. Such a great DVD, clear and crisp sound...........this is a must CD/DVD for any good music fan and especially for a Bruce fan.
on 25 June 2014
This double vinyl set along with enclosed CD is pressed on high quality vinyl and of course is up to the standard of song writing we have come to expect. Wide range of songs with joint compositions such as with Tom Morello from Rage Against the Machine who of course is part of the touring band are superb. Great to have Dream Baby Dream closing the CD...this has been played live with Bruce solo at the pump organ and creates such an atmosphere....exquisite.
on 15 February 2014
As a lifetime Bruce fan, I was surprised at the release date of this album. It kinda spring up out of the blue - but what a great wee surprise album it has turned out to be!
From first track (the rousing version of "High Hopes") all the way through to the emotive "Dream Baby Dream", this album has got something for everyone. Even Track 7 - "Frankie fell in Love" harks back to some of Bruce's best tongue in cheek stuff from the 80's.
All in all - Just go buy it. It's very good.
on 25 February 2014
and in many ways I do. It's certainly an improvement on one or two of Springsteen's recent albums (especially Working on a Dream and to some extent Magic), and it's a new sound. The longer (and louder) reworking of Tom Joad is really, really good. But the one thing that really bugs me about it is that I can barely make out any of the lyrics. I've been buying and enjoying the Boss's music since the heady days of Born in the USA, Tunnel of Love, Human Touch and Lucky Town, and there aren't many of his albums that I haven't got or don't listen to. So I know that he's always had a tendency to throw out his lyrics in a sort of tense slur. But this one goes just that bit too far in that direction for me to award High Hopes any more than 4 stars.