on 25 January 2014
Since I am a huge Clapton fan and always has been, I can of course only love this great collection. 461 Ocean Boulevard was a wonderful return by the man himself, and I love almost all numbers on that record. Well, I have heard most of it before except the Freddie King cd, and have the records on vinyl, but with bonus numbers, outtakes, previous unreleased numbers and more, I still find this box fully worth the money. The blue-ray I can play on my blue-ray player, but I don't have speakers and stuff for quadrophonia, surround sound or whatever, so I would have preferred a biographic film from the sessions or about that period of Clapton's life. In the book there are some nice photographs and a short but well written text about the recording sessions and Clapton. But I actually still miss some kind of real biographic movie-story about Clapton and his time from the start till today, maybe one day...
on 4 October 2016
I'm gonna have to buy the 2 cd set for when they cart me off to the nursing home and I wont be able to bring along my vinyl collection... I've been thinking of getting together a shoe-box full of "desert island vitals" on cd.. anyway, be that as it may, this is a short review for the three-vinyl-record box set titled "Give Me Strength".

The "Ocean Boulevard" record is, of course, a classic. The follow-up "There's One In Every Crowd" is good also but it is a slightly inferior cousin. Think of it as what Van Morrison's "His Band and Street Choir" is to "Moondance". Still good but overshadowed by the former. "E.C. Was Here" is a lack-lustre live set and I was surprised how "Drifting Blues" faded out very quickly. Perhaps the cd has a longer version but it is painfully obvious on the end of side 1 that there was more to come.. it only goes few a few minutes and the strange thing is that there is still plenty of space on the lp for a few minutes extra.. oh well...

Sounds great on vinyl but the presentation is somewhat dubious. Most offensive is the "E.C. Was Here" artwork. It is overly grainy and red printing on an orange background is never a good idea, so some of the info on the back cover is impossible to read with colours bleeding into each other. The whole cover has that yucky fourth or fifth generation print look. The "Ocean Boulevard" artwork seems grainier than I remember it.. it's not all that clear. perhaps it was always like that but either way I'm not impressed although the inside of the gatefold cover is sharp. The "One In Every Crowd" artwork is fine for what it is: a picture of a dog.

All three albums come in a sturdy, thick cardboard slipcase as pictured. Since I bought this when it was just under 22 quid I have little to complain about. It's all good... but you'll notice that no matter how much you enjoy it, apart from "Ocean Boulevard", it's not Clapton's finest hour. Still worth owning though.. if you can see it at a good price, grab it. Shortly after this Clapton stopped giving a toss and started hanging out with Phil Collins. I guess, like Johnny Rotten, he figured he had "done his bit".. Buy it and put it on your shelf right next to that Creedence vinyl box set.. you HAVE got the Creedence vinyl box, haven't you..??
on 22 June 2015
Nicely packaged set of Clapton albums, just like the originals. A good pressing (On the whole, with a few exceptions vinyls are a lot better that they used to be), nice flat copies with a gloss finish. All albums are crackle free and a joy to listen to.
on 25 October 2016
Well worth extra tracks and remastering
on 30 August 2017
on 19 October 2015
Very good value
on 28 March 2015
Fantastic comprehensive set.
5.1 mix of 461 Ocean Boulevard is the icing on the cake!
on 18 June 2014
This is just a review of the 2 disc version

461 Ocean Boulevard was re-mastered and released a few years ago in a Deluxe format and there's isn't too much new here to attract the buyer. There's One in Every Crowd needed a good remastering as the versoin form some time ago had no bass and was very top end. This version sounds great, the additional tracks are welcome and the album itself seems a lot better than I remembered it.

I picked this up for around £10.50 and at that price was well worthwhile