on 1 February 2014
I have read most if not all of Jodi Picoults books but this is first time to read a short story by her on my Kindle. Not very impressed with this and won't be buying any more of her short stories.
on 27 June 2016
Got this free kindle edition, aparently it was not full. I started reading it expecting it is full version. I was really into it but then suddently it was finished and i really wanted more. I believe that i will come back to it as i am keen on reading all available Jodi Picoult books.
on 7 April 2017
A unique novella indicating that Picoult could do more in young adult fiction
on 26 April 2017
A good short story always read and enjoy a Jodi Picoult. novel. I don't really enjoy short stories ,but this was as ever well written and a good read,not so in depth as most of her books ,but given that is a short story makes a good quick read!
on 4 August 2017
Jodi at her best
on 9 July 2014
thought I was buying a full book,but nevermind
VINE VOICEon 28 November 2013
A charming and insightful short story about one young boys struggle with his colour and a terrible loss. Poignant and thoughtful.
on 15 December 2013
I really enjoy these kindle shorts as they allow me to try authors I'm less familiar with. Picoult is no exception. I'm not really sure what I was expecting, but somehow it was definitely more than I got. The story itself about a an underprivileged Afro-American boy who goes to a religious summer camp run by privileged white kids is simple and effective, but it does nothing more than tell a story that has been told a thousand times before. I guess I hoped for something that with a clever twist or a little more drama. Still I'm sure fans of Picoult will enjoy this for the tasty little treat it is.
The Color War is a kindle single by popular American author, Jodi Picoult. This short story centres on Raymond Willis, a nine-year-old African American boy living in Boston who is sent to a Bible Camp in the Berkshires by his mother, in the hope that he will make new friends. What he really wishes for is that his best friend Monroe was still around. He's at this camp for black, Latino, Hmong and Chinese kids, run by an all-white staff and not expecting to like anything about the camp or the people, so Raymond is surprised to meet an angel. At least, Melody sure looks like the ice-carved angel he and Monroe saw in Boston last Christmas. While this is a very short offering, Picoult still manages to give her characters depth and to touch on issues of skin colour, opportunity, growing up and the cruel facts of life. Very moving.
on 11 February 2015
I've read a few of Picoult's kindle singles now. Apparently I didn't bother reviewing Where There's Smoke, and I have Larger Than Life on the list waiting for review.

I can't remember why I decided not to review Where There's Smoke, maybe I was waiting for the book it was based on to come out?

Either way The Color War is probably the one I liked the least of the three. It had good areas, or I suppose interesting areas. It didn't really work for me in terms of a short story however. Too many big issues which needed a 'proper' book. Maybe not a long one, but more than the few pages you get with a kindle single (according to goodreads The Color War has 34 pages). If it had to be a shorter story then there should have been less in it. Have the major event, or something to do with Raymond's emotions after. As it was it was too sketchy.

Plus unlike both of Picoult's other kindle singles which I've read The Color War is stand alone, so you can't hope to get more from reading the book which it is connected to.