on 28 April 2014
I had always wanted to experiment with sous vide, but the machines were always to expensive. When this model was introduced and priced nearer the £100 mark, I jumped at the opportunity. I have discovered that this is a great way to cook and much that you cook retains its flavors and succulence with minimal hassle. The AJ sous vide absolutely does the job. The machine allows you to set temperature and time, and beeps when the temperature is reached, prompting you to put your bags in. This may sound quite intuitive, but another comparable product, the Steba, does not do this.

I've been extremely happy with this product but for a couple of minor niggles:
- it does not come with a vertical rack (the Steba does)
- the timer is only good for 24 hours, so you will have re-set the machine again the following day if you are cooking something for longer.
- With all the cooking I'm doing these days, I wished it was a bit bigger.
- Unlike some of the more professional products, the water is not circulated, But then it's not that big, so this is not as much an issue.

Nevertheless, I could not recommend this product highly enough. Take the plunge and start sous vide-ing! After a sous vide soft boiled egg, you will never poach again.
19 people found this helpful
on 4 January 2014
I bought this for Christmas having spent a lot of time reading about sous vide cooking and I was eager to try it but didn't want to splash out too much; this machine seemed to represent good value in a small package. There were no reviews of this actual model and no information on the Andrew James website (I emailed them for more details but got no reply so that was a bit shabby), however it is looks identical to the Giles and Posner machine re-badged and was selling at a bargain price so I decided to have a go.

Delivery was very speedy and the machine came well packaged. It is easy to set up and the control panel is reasonably obvious although as a reviewer of the G&P machine pointed out there is no option for timing beyond 24h which is irritating. It can be got around though, just don't press the start button once you've got the bath to temperature and the timer won't count down although you do have to put up with a flashing red light for the duration.

Bath capacity is good enough for a family meal, it's an attractively finished machine and the footprint is small enough for my kitchen counter so as a practical addition to the armoury I'm very happy with it. The slow cooker function is a good option to have although it's a bit larger than most so I probably won't use it for that very often. Would be good for a hearty winter casserole though.

Like the G&P machine, temperature control is in 1 degree increments. I don't see that as a problem; maintaining water bath temperature with greater precision than this is not really feasible at this price point and largely unnecessary. Temperature holding is very good with little movement, however my bath is between 1.5 and 2 degrees hotter than set as measured with a lab grade thermocouple so I'd advise anyone buying this to invest in a temperature probe and compensate accordingly. I haven't tested accuracy across a range yet so I don't know if the calibration error is consistent. Anyway as long as you measure the temperature independently the results are excellent; so far I've tried belly pork and salmon and both were outstanding.

In summary I'd recommend this as an entry level machine, it's good value as long as you are not bothered by the minor niggles.
71 people found this helpful
|33 Comments|Report abuse
on 4 October 2015
Very good for simple sous vide cooking. You'll probably need two machines to get serious cooking as the water tank is not very big. Also if you wish to cook different items at different temperatures then again you'll need a separate machine. To be honest I will probably purchase a second unit when I find space in my kitchen. Use this machine for meat and a decent steamer for vegetables and cooking becomes very easy.
on 4 May 2015
Well arrived quickly Already have other Andrew James products and all so far have performed well This looks like following trend
on 9 March 2015
Very stylish and versatile, bought for my son and he loves it
on 8 August 2015
As described and arrived on time.
on 18 November 2015
Excellent as both sous vide and slow cooker. Good value product and service.
Sous vide duck legs before 35 min roast. Brings to a whole new level.
on 5 December 2014
Arrived over two weeks before stated date, very pleased with purchase!
on 23 November 2015
Excellent buy! Food cooked in this is amazing!
on 12 April 2014
I tend to buy a whole side of strip-loin steak and leave it in the fridge for as long as possible before breaking the seal on the vacuum pack and repacking it in separate steaks for freezing. Since quality varies and I like a medium rare steak, the finished product has rarely been consistent....until now. I received the Sous Vide two weeks ago and have tried strip loin, chuck, rib and round steak and a chunk of shin beef. Cooking times and temperatures used varied with the different cuts, but everything was succulent and only needed a quick browning on an iron skillet. The shin beef was cooked at the higher temperature of 82 deg C for 8 hours but came out like a good tender Sunday roast! You can cook a batch at one go and since they are sealed you can transfer some to the fridge and some to the freezer after a quick pre-chill. I checked the temperature with three electronic thermometers and none gave exactly the same reading, but the waterbath temperature was within the average range, so I'm happy with it.
8 people found this helpful