on 13 March 2014
I bought this book before starting their iOS book. I already knew Java beforehand but had never used Objective-C (or C/C++). Perhaps because the syntax is so similar to Java, I found this book a bit simple. It assumes NO knowledge of programming or OO at all. It will take you through Strings, Arrays etc.

Having said that, if you want to start programming for phones & have no experience of programming at all, this book or a similar book for Java (if you want to make Android apps) would be an excellent starting point. It is clearly written, explains everything well and covers all the stuff you'll need to start making simple tools. Note that you do not make many (only 1) actual iPhone app (and a very simple one to boot!) - that is a topic for the next book in the series - 'iOS programming'.

So what do you do? make command line tools that print stuff to the console. WAKE UP! yes it sounds boring but it's where all programmers start and you can plough through this book in a week or two and get onto making real apps. Think of it as a painful ordeal all wannabe programmers have to complete! On the plus side, you won't ever have to go this basic again - even for new languages (unless you're me and buy this book by mistake!).

So ONLY buy this book if you're looking to get into programming from scratch. If you know some other OO language it is not necessary - just complete a basic online tutorial for objective-c and go straight to the excellent iOS Big Nerd Ranch book which assumes very very little knowledge of objective-c just a bit of syntax & what OO is.
on 5 December 2015
As an experienced programmer in a variety of languages, I decided to investigate Objective-C so that I could produce software for my new MacBook. Having tried a Web-based tutorial and lost the plot, I chose this book and, although I've not yet reached the end of it, I'm delighted with it. Objective-C is definitely not for the faint-hearted but the book is carrying me along nicely. The end of chapter challenges are particularly useful and I commend them to anyone trying to follow the text. My routine is to read a chapter, go through the chapter again entering the examples into my MacBook and then complete the end of chapter challenges. On those rare occasions when I've failed to rise to the challenges, the forum on The Big Nerd Ranch Web site has proved enlightening and got me through. I recommend the book as a starter into Objective-C for anyone with some modern programming experience. I'm not sure whether it is as suitable for the complete programming novice.
on 24 September 2014
Great book and very easy to follow. I did Java several years ago and wanted to get back into programming. As I work through the book I start to remember bits from Java - obviously not the same, but they do have similarities. The only issue is a few black lines running down the middle of a few pages between chapters 5-7, but I am sure it was a mis print and it doesn't block out any words, just a bit more difficult to read. Other than than, can't complain. Happy. Enjoying learning again.
on 14 December 2016
As mainly a Java and Web Development developer, I needed to get to grips with an iOS Objective-C project and fast, this book was an excellent primer, explains Objective-C extremely well. Its outdated in its iOS and macOS examples but that's not its point and no big deal - its actually a good exercise to figure out how to update them to fit later versions. Swift is the way to go for anything new, but if a jump start is required in working in older projects this is good, this enabled me to be up and running while studying and referencing this book.
on 29 April 2017
Very knowledgeable about Object C and the iOS environment. This guy is quite pragmatic and takes you down to earth examples like writing files, using the Objective C objects from NS foundation classes. Very clearly a winner. Really loving it thanks!! :)
on 20 August 2017
Helps understand basic coding
on 12 June 2014
Like all the other Big Nerd Ranch guides, you won't be disappointed. A lot of information, the right way !
on 18 January 2016
Great book, although I already have the PDF version still like to have a paper form.
on 11 April 2014
Mmmm very good book. Walks you step-by-step. Starts teaching C then ventures into OC. Explains almost every detail. Just get it!!
on 11 November 2014
excellent book, good examples, id look for more by these guys