I love albums like this which contain a wonderful mix of blues, R&B, rock and roll and soul from the 1950s and the early 1960s, and at this price this is a real bargain. There are some all-time classics here including "Leave My Kitten Alone" by Little Willie John, "Watch Your Step" by Bobby Parker and Benny Spellman's "Fortune Teller" to name but three but there are many more fantastic performances here from great artists like Bo Diddley, James Brown, Little Walter and Hank Ballard & The Midnight's. Many of these songs I've known since the 60s, either from the original versions or from covers by British bands but there are other songs here that were new to me, such as "Trick Bag" by Earl King and "It's Your Voodoo Working" by Charles Sheffield. This is a great compilation that has been very thoughtfully put together so that every track fits perfectly.
A Shot Of Rhythm & Blues is a fabulous 2 CD set by Various Artists.
These are the same guys that the Stones, Beatles, Led Zeppelin and a whole host of early Briitsh Groups listened to and were inspired by
It contains 50 ORIGINAL R&B CLASSICS
1. A Shot Of Rhythm And Blues- Arthur Alexander
These sets really are a steal at this price.
The simple reason that these sets are as cheap as chips is that the tracks are public domain.
That means the rights to the music has gone and any old Dick or Harry can release them.
The bad news for the previous rights holders means good news for us, the buyers for if the price is too high we will not buy.
So the sets are at a more than reasonable price.
Next year the law changes to fall in line with the Americans and the 50 year rule will be finished.
Now these sets really are a mixed bag.
Some tracks and artists you will know- others not.
But that is the real joy- you just might discover some tracks you have never heard and enjoy if not then the FF feature is just for you.
2. Popeye Train- Tabby Thomas
3. Pretty Girls Everywhere - Eugene Church
4. Stop - Clyde McPhatter
5. Every Dog Got His Day - Eddie Bo
6. A Fool In Love - Ike & Tina Turner
7. Next Door To The Blues - Etta James
8. Leave My Kitten Alone - Little Willie John
9. The Walk - Jimmy McCracklin
10. Your Love Keep A working On Me - Lulu Reed
11. I Can Tell - Bo Diddley
12. Something's Goin' On In My Room - Daddy Cleanhead & The Chuck Higgins Band
13. Don't Be Angry - Nappy Brown
14. (I Need Some) Money - The Miracles
15. Going Down To Big Mary's - Helen Thompson
16. Just A Little Bit - Rosco Gordon
17. Keep Your Hands Off My Baby - Little Eva
18. Watch Your Step - Bobby Parker
19. I Burned Your Letter - Ruth Brown
20. Thanks Mr Postman - Bobby King
21. I'm A Little Mixed Up - Betty James
22. Drip Drop - The Drifters
23. I Want To Know - Sugar Pie Desanto
24. Confession Of Love - The Del Vikings
25. Humpty Dumpty Heart - LaVern Baker
1. Seven Day Fool - Etta James
2. Hungry Man - Titus Turner
3. Here It 'Tis Right Here - El Pauling & Royal Abbi
4. Second Class Lover - Jean Dushon
5. I Ain't Goin' For That - Eugene Church
6. Bom Bom Lulu - Gene & Eunice
7. You Can't Judge A Book By Its Cover - Bo Diddley
8. What Makes You So Cold - Lulu Reed
9. I'm Shakin' - Little Willie John
10. Night Train - James Brown & The Famous Flames
11. Hey Memphis - La Vern Baker
12. Little By Little - Nappy Brown
13. Looking For My Baby - The Niteriders
14. Hush Heart - Baby Washington
15. Have Love Will Travel - Richard Berry & The Pharaohs
16. I Don't Know About You - Lloyd Nolan
17. A Help-Each-Other Romance - Ben E. King & LaVern Baker
18. Come To Me - Marv Johnson
19. Tomorrow Is A Comin' - Clyde McPhatter
20. Somebody Touched Me - Ruth Brown
21. My Babe - Little Walter
22. Sixty Minute Man - The Dominos
23. Can't Let You Go - Sugar Pie Desanto
24. Over And Over - Thurston Harris
25. Work With Me Annie - Hank Ballard & The Midnighters
26. Hully Gully - Stevie D'Or and The Dockers