on 3 February 2014
Very easy lose your self read, good for a quiet relaxing afternoon read with a cuppa. Not at all predictable, good characters and attention holding story, treat yourself.
21 people found this helpful
on 16 May 2017
A lovely story set in the village of Dooleybridge in Ireland. When a penniless runaway bride arrives she lands a job in Sean's oyster farm except he doesn't know she is scared of water and the locals tongues are set wagging. Slowly she is drawn into the community and is reluctantly landed the job of planning the oyster festival to put the dying Dooleybridge firmly on the map. Will she succeed and what does the grumpy loner Sean think of all this?

lovely book and story.
3 people found this helpful
on 19 August 2016
I don't normally go in for this type of book - you know the sort of typical lightweight, forgettable summer holiday type of read. But I got a free credit from Amazon and thought I would give it a go after reading the reviews. And I was a bit weary of reading heavy classics (free on Kindle though!) and fancied a break.

I looked forward to reading this every evening, it provided a nice bit of escapism and set the scene very nicely. Yes it is full of clichés and the ending is a bit happy clappy, but there is something in this book which takes it just bit above the normal holiday reading fluff. I just can't put my finger on what it is!

I did find the occasional change of narrative jarring and unnecessary though, and many of the scenarios are totally far fetched, but that's escapism I suppose. Despite the lengthy descriptions I still can't really picture how oyster farming works, something to do with tables in really shallow water that are covered at high tide? Which you can drive a tractor to but then you also need a boat?

Overall I recommend this book, and would probablyy read more Jo Thomas. Now it's back to Thomas Hardy...
on 25 August 2016
Loved this book. This is the first book i have read by this Author and it won't be the last. The book sweeps you up in the story and leaves you smiling throughout. I loved the characters and the antics they get up to, you feel as though these are your friends and you care what happens to them, even the background characters are amusing. I love that the book is a really good length too and not just a quick 200 plus read which drives me crazy. This book is a great light romantic comedy summer read and you won't be disappointed.
2 people found this helpful
on 8 February 2017
I loved this book for how it made me feel. I wanted, no, needed a feel-good, light-hearted, good old fashioned story and this was it. “Fi” has crashed her “stolen” campervan. (I apologise for all of the quotation marks but if you read the book you will see why they are necessary). Her husband has left her at the altar. No home, little money and no job leave her thinking there is little hope of anything. This is Ireland and they are a friendly bunch. Mostly….
A heart -warming story of good old fashioned hard work, honesty, a little romance and even a mention of my other love- ex batts. If you like Kate Fforde, Sophie Kinsella type books you should enjoy this. A book to make you smile.
on 31 October 2014
I'd initially purchased and downloaded a copy of The Oyster Catcher when it was first published as an eBook but like many of my own purchases it has been languishing on my Kindle waiting to be read. But what a gem I had been missing out on so I'd like to thank Frances at Headline for sending me a proof copy of the paperback that's being published next week.

From the very start you are drawn into the drama after hearing about Fiona being jilted on her wedding day which resulted in her taking off in a camping van and ending up in an Irish police cell! Before she knows it she's the talk of the town but maybe hanging out in this remote village in the middle of nowhere will give her the breathing space she needs to decide what to do next...

What follows is a hilarious tale of how Fi finds herself a job, for which she knows nothing about that involves her having to try and overcome one of her phobias, as well as caught up in the midst of a few dramas. It's actually hard to write much more without giving away spoilers but suffice to say it's not all plain sailing for anyone but it all works out well in the end.

It's clear that Jo Thomas has done her research about oyster farming, there's enough information to gives us a feel of what's involved but not overly technical to put readers off.

I loved the real community feel of Dooleybridge and the way everybody knew everyone else's business, and that's definitely my personal experience from having lived in a village in the past, but at the same time generally caring about and looking out for each other even newcomers like Fi.

A fantastic debut novel from Jo which was the perfect escapism read I needed this weekend, I literally could not put it down and read it at every opportunity I could get. I'm already looking forward to reading her next novel The Olive Branch which is being published in February.
on 29 June 2014
The Oyster Catcher has all the elements of a decent romance - escape from previous life, evocative landscape, hard-to-fathom hero and careworn heroine. Yet I struggled with some of the storyline which seemed to drag on too long and with some of the peripheral characters who seemed slightly unbelievable. While Fi and Sean were interesting enough to make me find out what happened to them, I struggled to get to the end of this book. Nancy in particular was quite annoying and the other characters did not not hold my interest at all. The story of how Fi managed to get to Galway in the first place was also a bit drawn out. A shame really because the premise of the novel is actually quite an appealing one. Still worth a read but not one of the best in this genre I have read.
One person found this helpful
on 10 July 2016
Jilted at the alter Fi ends up Dooleybridge, after crashing the stolen camper intended for her honeymoon. With only her wedding dress shes standing in she sets up a new life as an Oyster farmers assistant. The book follows the highs and lows in this role.

Enjoyed reading this book. Learning all about Oyster farming. Nice summer light read. Enjoyed the book.
2 people found this helpful
on 1 May 2016
I really enjoyed this read. It was light and fluffy and ideal for a summer read or a lazy Sunday. The story captures the essence of a local irish community and the relationship between the two main characters seemed to work really well. I would have liked to see Sean a little meaner to Fi at the beginning. It might have made a few more sparks later. At times it was a little predictable but for an nice easy read, it is perfect.
One person found this helpful
on 21 June 2015
Maybe one to take on holiday? Interesting setting. Loved the descriptions of the scenery. One or two wee niggles though. Sean would not have had the same surname as his uncle Tom, if they were related because his mother's sister married Tom Thornton. His mother and aunt were sisters. So unless the two sisters married two brothers then Tom and Sean would not have the same surname! Also she grabbed the keys and then had to abandon the tractor in the sea, and it could not be rescued till low tide. The keys being in the tractor in the sea did not seem to present a problem unlocking and getting into other places!
On the whole though a good read!