Customer reviews

on 21 October 2014
So many *gasp* moments in this story!! Great writing, a new twist on the worn thin zombie genre. I started to read this, thinking I would find it very similar to all the other 'living dead' novels being spewed out, and I had no idea this was the only book of this series in publication. I was wrong and now I am absolutely steaming that I allowed myself to get so caught up in a story that I can't finish reading yet!! Enjoyed this so much that I even wrote a review on Amazon for it and I've never done that before :) Can't wait for the second book!
on 24 April 2014
this book was really good, and I didn't want the end to come, after many twists and turns, the ending came as a complete surprise. a book not to be missed
on 4 December 2013
Very good fiction. Fast moving and enjoyable. I love it when books make time pass so quickly and are this absorbing. More more more.....
on 22 January 2014
Loved this book as it is full of twists and has, in my humble view, a feasible plot! Well worth the read.
on 27 November 2013
*may contain spoilers for some readers*

The Liger Plague by Joseph Souza might possibly be a new twist in the zombie genre; if the living infected in 28 Days Later fall into the realm of zombies, readers should at least consider adding Souza's latest creation to the list. The Liger infected are unable to control their actions, they feed on human flesh, and they "hunt" much like traditional hordes. Due to the mysterious nature of the deadly hybrid virus, it's possible Souza's first novel in his new series didn't reveal the entire transformation of the infected.

The majority of the story takes place on Cooke Island, where Tag, an ARMY scientist who specializes in the study of biological weapons, owns a summer home. Just as he is about to join his wife and daughter on the island for an art festival, Tag receives a warning that a new deadly virus is about to be released on the island. What follows is Tad's struggle to quarantine the island, find his family & fight the infected...not to mention all the survivors looking to gather supplies by any means necessary.

Tag's two main companions on the island are Fez, a kid who can't find his parents, and Versa, the most unpleasant character that lives on the island. (If I were Tag, I would have thrown Versa into a crowd of ravenous infected, and been done with her, right at the start.) Tag's adversaries include a bunch of bikers, some religious nuts, the local law enforcement and the government agents on the mainland. Tag is not by any means the only capable survivor, but he appears to be the only one who understands how much worse the situation will be if the Liger virus finds a way off the island.

Souza somehow manages to paint a sickening picture of the infected (don't bother eating while you read this novel), while drawing sympathy for the Liger victims at the same time. By allowing the infected to retain the ability to communicate, readers are given a chilling insight into the true horror of the Liger plague.

It does not end with an abrupt cliffhanger, but I am still dying to find out what happens next.
on 10 June 2014
This book had potential but there were too many plot holes, illogical decisions and unrealistic behaviours. I know it's a zombie-type fantasy but the humans should have behaved and talked like real people, and the government or military would have intervened at some point during an outbreak of an unknown infection. They would not have stayed away just on the say-so of one man.

The 'zombies' (infected) were hungry for flesh yet our hero managed to have a conversation with some of them and gained valuable information before they resumed their loping and lunging. That just seemed a bit daft, even for a zombie tale. And don't get me started on all the medical mistakes! Rigor mortis doesn't set in 2 seconds after death, smallpox wasn't around in 1985, etc. etc.

I didn't like the writing style because it seemed rather wooden and stilted. Sometimes wrong words were used or used in the wrong context. The book was written in the 3rd person yet it only followed one person's viewpoint, which seemed like a waste as it could have been improved by incorporating other viewpoints. I wondered whether there was a reason for this but if so I didnt find it.

My other problem was that this tale was very plot-driven and there was very little characterisation and almost no emotion coming from the people who were in such a desperate and dangerous situation. Events were often described in a plodding manner and we were being 'told not shown' throughout.
on 25 November 2013
The Liger Plague is written from the point of view of a military scientist, Colonel Tag Winters. His professional and personal viewpoint gives the reader great insight into a tragic modern day terrorist attack and drives you to question, what would I do if it happened to me? With difficult decisions to make in an impossible situation, we are taken along with Tag for better or worse. Disturbingly addictive, this story will stay with you long after you finish.
on 15 December 2013
Was on edge of chair throughout this reading this book. A gripping read in a believable scenario. Loved it and look forward to reading more by same author.