Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle New album - Eminem Shop now Shop now

Customer reviews

Psycho Tropical Berlin
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 31 October 2017
Love this album very much.
on 2 October 2015
Bought this on the strength of: a) the TV ad, b) the price had halved since first viewing, and c) one reviewer had similar musical tastes and decided to give this a shot. 'Tis indeed a weird selection! Listening to Sur La Planche in full, you can tell that the TV ad has chopped the best bits into samples, and then pasted to fit! The tendency of this lot, is to mainly do 5 minute plus on most tracks, and there are 14 of them! Good value, But, you have to get used to some rather 'draggy' openings, which then burst into damn jolly good life! You will need to plough through the album a few times before making any decisions, but on the basis that most of us (?) will be pleased to get 3/4 really good tracks from an album, in my view at least half of them qualify here. That represents 5 * status in my book. My music collection goes back 50 years, and in that time I only have a handfull that I would play all the way through. As far as I know, there are no Brit outfits that sound quite like these, but they are interesting, and worth watching out for.
on 1 November 2013
If you'd asked me at the start of the year if my favourite album would be a french synth pop work, i'd have said probably not! It's hard to give a reference because there's little else i can think of that sounds too similar, maybe as this isn't my normal area of listening (which is more indie rock/folk). Last.fm says they're a "smooth/lead/tropical/surf/cold wave band from Paris." I have no idea what that means, hadn't heard of them before, they seem to be new to most outside France. All i can say is the cover gives you a pretty good idea of what to expect i.e. sexy and sinister. If you're open to genre-crossing foreign bands/lyrics (i have only some GCSE French and that's mostly gone too!) then give this a try. It's also a "proper album" in the sense that it needs to be listened through with headphones. My standout tracks though at Saises La Corde and Time To Wake Up (2023)... though most seem to prefer Sur La Planche and the title track. yes there's some English here too, but this isn't about lyrics anyway for me. A rare 5 stars: lots of fun, and quite sophisticated. Check out a track first because you'll probably like all of it, or none of it.
on 30 January 2014
La Femme are a French electro-pop band who have delivered a thrilling debut album, full of life and passion.
I initially tried to list the musical styles and influnces to be found here. I failed utterly. All I will say is I am very much reminded of the sort of energy that The B-52s put into tracks like "Rock Lobster".
The songs whilst being catchy are also very dense and well made. Some of it drones and some of the electronica verges on the avant garde, but always underneath the tune. This is a superbly produced album.
Psycho Tropical Berlin is an intoxicating album that is more than anything... FUN! Take "Antitaxi" a relentless bounce of a song that was made for dancing to and gets the album off to a flying start.
A wonderful, smart, melodic, incredibly cool album. Highly recommended.
on 27 September 2016
Superb, I wish I'd discovered this band years ago. Quirky and unconventional, if you liked the B52's then LaFemme have definitely picked up where they left off. Moody,synth keyboards, and experimental in places, even if you don't understand the French lyrics you'll love how they work. The tracks are pretty diverse but all benefit from being listened too repeatedly. Definitely worth finding the related videos on You Tube as the video's are a lot of fun in their own right.
on 21 December 2014
A breath of fresh air in our current stagnant music scene.
on 6 July 2015
I came across this group by accident at Glastonbury this year (2015) - they were playing on the stage next to a cider stall. I went with a friend for a quick listen and stayed for the rest of the set. Excellent band, see them live if you can.
on 8 January 2014
fantastic offering from this slightly wacky French band,some great moments with a nod to Beatles pschyc.fairground bits.I love it,it offers something a bit different in these days of sameness.
on 14 November 2013
French, and very new wave.
You have to love electro pop to buy this album.
Texts are both dark and optimistic.
on 31 December 2014
You'll play it and keep coming back. Innovative and infectious. French Disco at its finest. Love it.