Customer reviews

Diamonds On The Water
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 11 March 2014
I have been a fan of the Oysters for more years than I (or probably they) wish to remember and I suspect that I possess all of their recorded work, including their collaborations with other singers and musicians. This album sounds like typical Oysterband and would fit at any point into their work of the last 15 or 20 years. This is a little bit surprising to me, as there are some changes of line-up, most notably the departure of "Chopper", a.k.a. Ray Cooper, and I thought this might be the opportunity for some small adjustments to the sound. But if one likes the Oysterband one can't dislike this record. I have one quibble: The Oysters sometimes include a traditional song and on this album it's the well-known "Once I Had A Sweetheart". I would have preferred a less common choice, particularly since I think that the Pentangle nailed this particular song in a modern version some four decades or so ago.
3 people found this helpful
on 28 July 2014
One of favourite bands don't disappoint on this record, losing two of there members hasn't weakened there songwriting . A very emotive record, particularly lyrically , a river runs, lay your dreams down gently and spirit of dust are some of the best songs put on record, If your new to the oysterband it's a good place to start and it's a mystery why there not bigger. With pop culture overwhelmed with spoilt rich kids and mediocre rock bands, this how music should be honest and emotional. Buy it.
on 11 July 2014
All but one track are original songs written by band members. This is definitely my favourite album of theirs as it has a wealth of beautifully written songs with good melodies and strong poetic lyrics. Having heard almost all of their previous material ( which is brilliant of course) this album is a welcome change. If you are fans you will not be disappointed and if you are new to Oysterband I recommend this album which I think is ,technically and musically their best. If you like good strong lyrics and melodies both up-tempo and ballad you will love this album.
on 11 May 2015
This is top quality music and should not disappoint established Oysterband fans, while probably making some new converts. Worth realizing though that the overall sound has (inevitably) slightly altered since Chopper`s departure and that the tone of most of the songs is less gung-ho, less overtly political, and at times coloured with a rueful, melancholy feel. This is obvious in the opening track and runs through the rest of the tracks like a ...river (!)... It will be interesting to see what the next album is like !
on 13 March 2014
First new album since the June Tabor 'Ragged Kingdom' collaboration, that was 2011, and it's been well worth the wait! All new material, but those of us who've seen them live recently will already be familiar with many of the tracks. I must admit I bought it out of loyalty, but I haven't stopped playing it since
on 2 March 2014
This is not the Oysterband of 'The Shouting End of Life' or 'Holy Bandits' More reflective, mellow and melodic. 'Spirit of Dust' has a great uplifting singalong chorus and is bound to be a great live track. 'Call You Friend' is probably the most upbeat song here. 'Once I Had A Sweetheart' is a beautiful traditional offering, John Jones proving again what a great singer he is. 'Like A Swimmer In The Ocean' ends the album in beautiful, acoustic reflective mood. Look forward to Sheffield on March 21st!
One person found this helpful
on 17 April 2017
Very good music from real pro's
on 4 January 2016
Oysterband are fab! This is a lovely album which has been listened to time and time again. Excellent lyrics and melodies (and singing!)
on 20 April 2015
Superb. This is the first Oysterband album I have bought and love it. It has been constantly played in the car. Any suggestions for further albums to try?
on 17 October 2015
The oysters sound great but too safe nowadays