Customer reviews

on 28 March 2014
I adore this book. I read it cover to cover on the day it arrived and since then I've kept it on my desk next to me, constantly flipping through and pouring over the illustrations. The book is a lovely combination of heartfelt personal stories and quirky, informative snippets about various things in New York. For me it captures the feeling of New York so well. The illustration is beautiful, I love the vibrant colour palette. I would recommend this for anyone who loves New York.
on 22 October 2014
T-FRANCE and Harold love it!
on 7 February 2015
Very good!
HALL OF FAMETOP 50 REVIEWERon 4 April 2014
 Hello, New York is a charming and personal illustration book by illustrator, blogger and author Julia Rothman. I follow her work occasionally and also her book blog Book By Its Cover.

This is a picture book and the art is drawn in sketch-style.

The book recounts the personal experiences from Julia Rothman on what it's like to grow up in New York, the interesting things and places around the city, food, lesser known buildings, museums, etc.

Some of the more interesting stories I like are that of finding a hidden tennis court at Grand Central Station, interview with a NYC taxi driver, librarian, owner of a Tattoo museum.

The book's a 144-page hardcover, about A5 size. I finished reading in one sitting and it makes me want to read more. I hope there's a sequel because there's obviously so much more to the city. But even in a small book like this, there are already quite many surprises.

My favourite part is the book feels really personal as it's written in first person view. The drawings are delightful with the loose lines and colours. Accompanying text are in handwritten typeface.

Wonderful book. I like sketchbooks and I love this one.

(See more pictures of the book on my blog. Just visit my Amazon profile for the link.)
on 28 June 2015
Informative and lovely designed! As my first trip to NY was in 1987, many things had changed and change every day in this exciting city! The author shows some hidden secrets and gives special tips, I love the book and presented it with good feedback to other NY-Fans.