on 14 August 2017
I had high hopes, but it was not as funny as anticipated and didn't like the "animal comments" at the end of the chapters. No James Herriot, and the worse for it unfortunately. I read to the end, but didn't feel satisfied that I had done so.
Also, if you are really fussy about your food and no linguist, not sure why you would move to Spain? America would be a better bet!
on 12 June 2017
A nice collection of short chapters about life in Spain. Alan isn't a professional writer, but for this type of book that's not necessarily a bad thing. While I was reading this I also read the book with the collection of photo's for Where's that Donkey, but this seem's to be missing from Amazon's web site. I also enjoyed that one.
on 7 June 2014
I think i enjoyed the first book more, as I related to their settling in and getting the Olive mill up and running. There were a few lose ends, which would have been nice to tie up - were the leaks in the kitchen ever fixed, and if so who fixed them? Also some of the scenarios could have been fleshed out a little, many of the annecdotes were told very quickly and it left me a little high and dry at times. Alan Parks describes an accurate picture of Spain, to visiting Iceland, the Gardia Civil with their mirrored sunglasses and the happy-go-lucky Spanish. Don't even think of leaving and returning to the UK, life in Spain has a very special magic, even if you are trying to prevent alpacas mating at the wrong time!
on 23 November 2017
I didn't want to give this book a poor review but my husband talked me into leaving an honest review.
The book is well written and really easy to read, however with almost every anecdote I was waiting for the humour or punchline to emerge. I appreciate that the stories in the book are real but I just felt a little let down, as if they didn't really go anywhere. Sorry!
on 8 October 2016
while this is an interesing book inway of decribing a way oflife thatmanyof us would aspire to, I didn't find it as funny as the write-up described. what /i did like was the quirky footnotes at the end of some chapters written from the viewpoint of the chapters subject, ie: a lostdog.
on 21 January 2014
I read the first book about alpacas and found it to be quite good.I thought this was going to be as good but I didnt enjoy the parts where the animals were giving their version of what had happened.. I skipped these pages as it was a bit tedious to me to read the same thing from a different point of view. I felt the book plodded along and I dont think I will read it again,
on 30 June 2017
The story about their life in Spain continues, although there is nothing much new. Animals come and go. It is still a good read for a lazy, wet day in the UK.
on 14 July 2017
As I live in rural Spain I can relate to the stories .as life here is as series of highs and lows but never dull. Waiting for the next one.
on 30 June 2017
After reading the first book in the series I needed to read this and was not disappointed! True life Spain.
on 26 August 2017