Customer reviews

What Does the Fox Say?
Format: Kindle Edition|Change

on 3 July 2017
Slightly disappointed, not going to lie! This book just has the lyrics to the song "what does the fox say". So theres no actual story or anything!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 10 July 2015
The novelty 2013 Ylvis song “The Fox” is old news in internet-land, but let’s face it, young kids don’t know that yet. So does the storybook hold its own in the long term? More or less.

If your kids have no idea that it’s a song, then this is mostly fine for the 3-year-old age range, give or take, except that the ‘chorus’ bits are rather weird and there’s no real sense of a story ending. The artwork is quite harsh and abstract by children’s book standards, which is a little bit off-putting. It’s sort of passable as ‘just a book’.

Once you introduce your kids to the idea that there’s a song too, it gets better. It’s actually really good fun to read-sing the book, doing a slow interpretation of the song melody. As a stern-faced grown-up adult, it’s really rather fun to read the verses with a straight face and then let rip with insane noises on the chorus. My daughter seems to enjoy it too, once she realises that I’m not just having a fit or something. It’s hard not to read it in a manic style- it doesn’t suit a bedroom wind-down.

It’s not quite so easy to read along whilst actually playing the song though. The lyrics are spread over too many pages, and the original song runs along so fast that it’s a struggle to turn the pages in time in some places.

Since young kids don’t know that “The Fox” is soooooo 2013, there’s still a bit of fun to be had with this book, but for proper longevity it would’ve been better if the drawings were just a tiny bit less psychotic.
VINE VOICEon 27 December 2013
If, like me, you have primary school age children, the latest YouTube sensation, Ylvis and their catchy 'song', What does the fox say?, will have been going around your head for ages. Ylvis has joined forces with Svein Nyhis who has created the illustrations throughout the book, depicting all the animals within the song.

The book is really just the song words to the song, which most children learn very quickly. I would not pick it up as a story book to read at storytime because the reader can not help but break into tune as they read the book aloud. The illustrations are not the usually friendly children's images, the animals have a strange style which I am not sure children will recognise. My nine year old son was not impressed with the illustrations.

In summary, I would not buy this book as a story to share with children at story time, instead I would buy it as a gift for fans of the song or for children to look at when listening to the song.
on 13 December 2013
My husband ordered this book for my daughter and I as we have a lot of fun singing the song together. The book was not what he expected.

Having said that, the illustrations are fantastic but not to everyone's taste.

What do you get? The Lyrics and 'abstract' style drawings over approximately 24 pages. The drawings depict the fox and other characters from the book in a similar style to the front cover.

If that is what you are after then you will love the book.

I have only rated this as a 4 star as the information given about the book was not as clear as it could be and to hopefully flag up this review to help people decide if this is the book for them.

As far as the actual quality of the book goes - if it is judged on the quality of the illustrations and if you are expecting nothing more than the song lyrics and are aware of the type of illustration then it truly deserves five stars.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 15 May 2016
Reviewer Julie summed up my reaction and that of our granddaughter (age 5) ...

"...If you are after a general story (and not just the lyrics) and prefer more traditional children's artwork then this book would not meet your expectations and for you, I would rate this book only 1 or 2 stars...."

The illustrations are actually rather interesting and definitely unusual in an angular. surreal, limited palette sort of way.
But if you want this book to read aloud then you could be in for a challenge ....

"... But if you meet
a friendly horse
Will you communicate by morse?
How will you speak to that horse?

What does the fox say?

Jacha-chacha-chacha-chow!
Chacha-chacha-chacha-chow!
Jacha-chacha-chacha-chow?

What does the fox say?

Fraka-kaka-kaka-kaka-kow!

What does the fox say? ..."

The book follows on from the Youtube upload that went viral. Last time I checked, it had achieved 596,289,629 views.
That definitely IS worth watching if you enjoy the offbeat and odd. I suspect that the book works a lot better for children who are fans of the upload. To find the video, search for this upload by TVNorge ...

Ylvis - The Fox (What Does The Fox Say?) [Official music video HD]
on 16 December 2013
This is the illustrated book of the parody song made famous on Youtube.

It gets five stars for just being that.

Normally I'd give a more straight forward review but if you love the song this book is for you to read out loud to kids forever!!

I would have liked to have seen the lyrics written in a bigger louder font to match the lovely drawings as they are printed all in the same size font and if you are reading to children then the bigger words get shouted LOUDER!!
on 18 January 2014
This book is great. If you loved the song then this would be brilliant for you. The illustrations are very good and creative. Overall the book is just really great fun to read and sing along too.
on 15 August 2015
Bought this for my daughter and she loves it (as do I)!
The words are the lyrics to the song - also by Ylvis - which you can find on YouTube. If you haven't seen it I'd recommend watching it even if you don't get this book. The production quality for a parody is brilliant and the song itself is hilarious (and catchy)!
I also love the art in this book. This is another subjective matter though so your mileage may vary.
I appreciate this may not be everyone's cup of tea but we think it's awesome. Thoroughly recommended.
on 18 March 2014
Since I'm a fan of the Ylvis brothers (not just the Fox song btw) I would probably buy about anything they put their name on. I'm happy they chose to do a proper book with illustration (although a bit artsy, weird and not really so much their style). I think I read it thru once before putting it in my bookshelf but I don't regret buying it since the whole success story of the Fox song is something for the books, no pun intended.
on 18 May 2014
Definitely not a children's book. It's basically just the song put to wierd and wacky pictures and without the context of the song it would make absolutely no sense and not be enjoyable for children. If your a fan of the song or your children are then go for it but if you're looking for quality children's literature then look elsewhere.