on 22 August 2014
The Apollo came fully charge (well 4 LEDs). It charge my iPad Air up about 60%. I tried to charge the Apollo with the iPad charger knowing that this would be the quickest to charge it but after leaving it on all night it only showed 1 blue light. I had emailed but with a confusion reply. They emailed me again
If the lights flash (THEY WERE), then the charging fuction is no problem. For the solar charging function, we highly recommend you use it as a emergency use when you enjoy outdoor activities, and charge the apollo2 with a USB adapter or computer. The capacity is 10,000mAh, so it may take a while to get a fully charge(depending on the power of the adapter), hope for your kindly understanding.
Any further questions, please feel free to contact us.

I thought I would tried again before sending another email, this time to my suprise it worked. I have worked out that my ipad charger should charge it in 4 to 5 hours with some times can be hit n miss. I also worked out that the built in solar panel would take about 70 hours direct sun light to charge fully. A bit disappointed with that as that was one of the reasons I bought this battery pack.

Apart from a few teething problems it works fine. It will fully charge an iPhone 4 or iPhone 5 four times (1 blue light left) wilth a possible fifth charge.
on 5 July 2014
I bought this beautiful device after I've made some search. It's shape, color and specifications attracts me to buy it as a gift for a family member who lives overseas. However, when it was used the first time it worked perfect as it charged the IPhone 5 in no time. when it ran out of its initial charge it was placed under the sun, where the temperature was about 43 degrees, and left there for about 8 hours and it did not charge!!! it was placed the next day under the sun light for another 8 hours and still did not charge!!! only two lights were flashing during the charging period and when tried to charge the IPhone it did not do the job as it did not work. I personally would not recommend this product as it is expensive and does not do what it suppose to do.
on 30 June 2014
I purchased an Apollo 2 charger about a month ago with high hopes based on other reviews I'd read.

I received the first unit and initially charged it up via USB as per the instructions. I then discharged it for a while, but still showing 4 LEDs of power (75%+) I left it in my conservatory to test the solar recharging facility - the reason I'd purchased it. I'd read other reviews stating that a complete solar charge could take a few days, so was patient - bear in mind that I had only discharged the unit by a maximum of 25%.

After over a week, the charger was still showing the charging sequence, but was still not fully charged. Note that I am in the UK, but it is the height of our summer and we have been having sunny weather since I purchased the charger.

I reported the issue to Poweradd, who promptly despatched a replacement. I followed the same preparation sequence and again left the unit in my conservatory to charge. The next day, the charger was totally dead. No charging LED sequence, would not charge up via USB and would not charge a device.

I still wanted to believe in the device and although Poweradd said they had never sent someone a third unit, they sent me one. Exactly the same thing happened as the second unit, but this time it took two days before it totally died.

I wrote to Poweradd expressing my disappointment and asking if they would like me to return the dead chargers to them for analysis so they could try to identify the cause of the faults, but all they replied was that "We recommend that you do not use our solar indoors under direct sunlight to charge".

Apart from the fact that there is nothing to this effect in the user manual and the chargers were rarely in direct sunlight due to the aspect of the room, it should be noted that the Apollo 2 is not waterproof and according to the manual, should even be kept away from humid environments, so apparently you can't charge it by leaving it indoors or outdoors (in case it rains). For the record, I have had various other electronic devices permanently located in the same conservatory for years, summer and winter, and none have suffered any reliability issues. Apparently the only device that doesn't like the sun, is a solar charger.

The fact that Poweradd have not taken up my offer to return the faulty units for investigation implies that they are either already aware of the issue or simply don't care about it.

I will give Poweradd some credit for providing two replacements chargers, but this was ultimately a waste of everyone's time as neither worked.

As a final observation, the original charger I received has now been sitting in the conservatory for nearly four weeks constantly showing the charging LED sequence during daylight hours. In this time, the power indicator has gone from 4 LEDs (75%+) to 2 LEDs (25% -50%).

I appreciate that electronic devices can arrive faulty or develop faults, but the combination of three consecutive faulty devices and an apparent lack of interest on the part of Poweradd in understanding the cause of the issue means I can only give the Apollo 2 charger 1 star.

*** Update 13/07/2014 ***

Poweradd contacted me apologising for the issues and offered to send me a fourth charger.

The fourth charger arrived a couple of day later. On arrival, it was already showing four LEDs of power, but in line with the manual, I charged in for a few hours via USB.

A few days later my son took the charger on a camping trip. One evening, he used the Apollo 2 to charge his phone using the "Cellphone" outlet. The phone displayed a "Voltage too high" warning but did charge up. When the phone was fully charged, the Apollo 2 charge had dropped from four LEDs to three which seemed fine.
The next morning, he went to attach the Apollo 2 to his rucksack to charge up during the day's hike but found it was, like the previous two chargers, totally dead.

Nothing else to say really. I've been following the supplied instructions AND the additional ones emailed to me by Poweradd, and have had four consecutive chargers fail within a few days.

I do not feel this product is fit for purpose.
on 16 July 2014
This thing is amazing, best festival gadget around.

Fully charged by USB before going and it kept 2 phones and 2 ecig charged for the duration of a 4 day festival finally running out of juice on the way home.

Solar panel is a nice addition, While it will take over a week to charge the battery fully even in ideal curcumstances, I just clipped it to my belt as i went around and let it top up, probably buying me around a quarter of the battery over the 4 days. (and making new curious friends)

It now lives permenantly on my bag keeping my gadgets topped up as i travel.
on 17 April 2014
early days yet, but takes days to charge using sun light, so not sure if faulty !, but if charge using mains power then is ok as power pack !!!
on 4 June 2014
Doesn't charge from flat but works brilliantly took it on holiday and charged 2 phones very quickly 4 or 5 times will be purchasing another
on 18 February 2015
Great portable power source although I doubt it will ever charge from the solar panel (unless your stuck on a desert island for a few months...)!

If you top it up fully from the mains it will charge an iPhone 5S four times, a GoPro four+ times or a Sony RX-100 3-4 times. Used it with 3rd party mini cables for my gadgets while away hiking in NZ. Never let me down and always had charge left even after 3 days without any other source of power.
on 18 September 2014
This unit seemed at first glance to be brilliant, good battery size, nice design, great solar cell, even a free karabina. The unit charged my phone from 0-100%, once. Since then the device has sat at 50% charge (2 led's lit), no matter how long I leave it in the sun or plugged in to an outlet. It seems that I have bought nothing more than a large single use battery. Avoid buying this product as it is nothing more than a well executed scam.
on 9 January 2015
i got it end of july 2014, didnt use it till november on my vacation. it worked fine for 2 weeks then i recharged it and stored it. i just needed it now in january 2015 and it doesnt work. all four led lights are on and i cant turn it off, it doesnt react when i try to charge it or connect another device. all 4 leds are on but it doesnt work. thats the second time i wanted to use it and already dead.
on 12 August 2014
I have bought 2 of these POWERADD APOLLO 2 SOLAR PANEL CHARGER and sent one to Turkey as a present and kept one for me and both of them stop working on the second day! I returned mine and the one I sent to Turkey the cost of the carriage more than the Solar charger.... I would like to say who ever is making this they must do a test without sending the customer... I am very disappointed !