Customer reviews

Noah's Ark
Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£3.99

on 1 September 2017
I loved this from the very start. It was gripping and had my mind racing as to what was going to happen throughout. I did really enjoy this book and would recommend to someone who hasn't read sci fi before (this was my first sci fi book). Although the storyline was brilliant the ending was very quick and vague and left me with a lot of questions hence only four stars.
on 29 June 2017
good read
on 20 May 2013
This book has to be the best apocalypse thriller I have read so far. I loved it. As soon as I started reading it I could not put it down. There is so much going on that will grab you and keep you on the edge of your seat. There is action, thrills, scary parts, mysteries, romance and not just one apocalypse, but you get multiple!! How awesome is that??
The imagery and detail is incredible. It is almost like watching a movie they are so clear. For me, I know it's great when my favorite character is a serial killer and it's not just because it's taking place during an apocalypse.
This is a book that a fan of any genre would love.
I will definitely be watching for more to read from Mr. Morgan!
on 22 March 2013
Where some reviewers talk about descriptive narration, I found boring waffle. I could not find any story at all under the cloying, page filling nonsense that the writer uses.
If you are thinking of writing a book or even a song, then this would be a handy book to borrow phases from, much like the writers handbook that sits on many authors bookshelves.

I gave it one star only because there is not an option to leave a no star rating.
on 2 May 2013
Noah's Ark should be enjoyed with the mind's visualization eye, like a graphic novel. Fun elements abound -- mutant zombies who coordinate their efforts and move quickly like shadows, Matrix-like cyberspace adventures, and tension enough to keep the reader turning pages -- all wonderful. I enjoyed the imaginative plot, which was a fresh mixing of technology with horror film nail biting. I "watched" the action in movie form, as though it were a storyboard or script. For such accomplishments alone, I rate the novel highly.

However, I cannot deny the literary tastes that have come from my years of studying writing and reading great writers. In my opinion, and please understand that many readers will not to agree -- but for me, the writing is the weak link and detracted from my enjoyment enough that I can not award 5 stars. The heavy use of adjectives, adverbs, clunky text and cliches got in the way of the story's momentum. Commercialism is king, however, and I have the same criticism for many bestsellers, so what do I know? Still, words are important to me. Since the prose stabbed at my more writer-ly sensibilities, I have to give less stars for that.

Four stars then, which, on Amazon, means I liked most parts of the novel. Noah's Ark is a fine first effort and the author's raw talent is evident. With additional polishing and editing, this will be a thrilling work, even for curmudgeons like me.. With additional polishing and editing, this will be a thrilling work, even for curmudgeons like me.
on 8 February 2013
I received this book free to read and review.
I did enjoy this book but felt that the plot could do with a bit of tidying at the end I was unsure about what had actually happened it is difficult to say why without giving away the plot but I thought which way it was going until I got to the end then I was not sure.
I liked the descriptive writing which centred mainly on the two named characters Alex and Michael with two separate threads which eventually converge, at times I had to read a bit of a chapter before I was sure if it was Alex or Michael that was the centre of the action. From the beginning it is obvious that some type of disaster has happened but we are not sure what until quite a way into the book, then think "The Matrix" and similar works. A book with plenty of action.
Well worth a read and I liked it but probably not a good first read if you do not read science fiction, I would have liked to give it 3 ½ stars
on 11 March 2017
2nd book by Mr Morgan I've read this week and just about to purchase my third. Only reason it doesn't get 5 stars is what do I give if the next one's better? An easy read, with just enough description of scenes for your imagination to fill the blanks, it flows well from start to finish.
on 7 November 2013
I was given a free copy of this book in return for an honest review.

This is a dystopian novel that manages to convey confusion, fear and uncertainty as the threads of society unravel. Its main focus is on the characters of: Michael, Doctor Roberts and Alex. The stories narrative flips back and forth between Michael and Alex; both are united in looking for answers.

The author, Andrew J. Morgan, manages to sustain the suspense and tension well, particularly early on, as everything has an unsettling feel to it. Science, the military and technology are at the centre of what is going on, and Morgan cleverly plays on all the reader's fears of these things.

Part of the story takes place in virtual reality, and there are many layers and mysteries to uncover before finding the truth. "What is real?" is the main question that drives the whole story.

There is plenty of action, (which I found reminiscent of Twenty Eight Days Later and The Matrix) to support the sense of unease and ambiguity. The only let down is the jargon and info-dumps. Otherwise this is a strong début with a powerful and unexpected ending.
on 22 March 2013
UPDATE: The author has since revised the edition of this book, fixing the punctuation, clunky sentences and improving the narrative overall. I now highly recommend it to all readers. Enjoy!

(My original review from Amazon US follows)

Andrew J. Morgan's debut novel, Noah's Ark, is the story of two men, an extraordinary one living an ordinary life, and an ordinary one living an extraordinary life. Or so we are led to believe. Despite the title, this is Science Fiction, and not a Christian-based story.

Andrew infuses the story with several enjoyable plot twists, keeping the reader engaged and wanting to find out the answers to what is going on.
The plot starts off at a slow boil, it wasn't until 30% in when the book picked up the pace and captured my interest. The slow first third left me somewhat confused, and I struggled to connect with the characters. When the major twist is revealed, Andrew shows the potential for a fantastic and engaging novel. I almost found myself holding my breath at some points from anticipation and suspense. Unlike most novels, it is the mid-section of the book I found to be the strongest.

Andrew uses a wide range of phrasing to describe very exceptional events. Unfortunately it is often too much, and the narrative becomes bogged down in descriptions, especially the slow first third.
There are perhaps 3-4 punctuation errors and clunky sentences/dialogue per chapter, making for awkward reading at times. Too many adverbs told me what was happening rather than showed me.
Then there was the abrupt ending. It wasn't bad, it just left me hanging. What did the characters think of what had happened? We don't know, it just happened. A short sentence or two explaining what the characters thought and how it had affected them would have brought the novel to a more satisfying close.

Andrew knows how to tell a good story, but the prose is inconsistent. There is a lot of potential here. If the novel were to go through another few edits, this could well be worthy of 4 or even 5 stars. As it is, I can only recommend it to fans of the genre.
on 22 May 2013
If you don't fancy reading my entire review then I'll cut to the chase right now - this is a damn good read, entertaining with a rich assortment of ideas, twists, characters and stunning visuals.

It starts very well, amazing in fact. The opening scenes with Alex are beautifully descriptive and Morgan's writing is effective in engaging my senses and keeping the pages turning.

Until the flow gets going there is a disjointed feeling, not knowing quite who I was supposed to be following. Part of me thought this was sloppy writing, but looking back I can see this was done on purpose.

The switching back and forth between Alex and Michael is jarring and somewhat bewildering for the characters and it had the same impact on me. It was done to keep the reader engaged and asking questions, anticipating the moment when the plot connects the dots.

The story moves at a brisk pace, never stopping too long in one place, but not at the expense of decent description which is rich and vivid throughout.

I would have liked Michaels strange and unexpected power to be explored more, possibly even used to in a positive way. I suspect there might be a reason for that, perhaps the second book will shed light on that aspect.

The concept is very good, with some fabulous tense "look over your shoulder!" moments. The opening scenes are amazing, I can't stress that enough.

And the end of Chapter 21 is awesome. A fantastic way to keep a reader wanting more, a full on cliff hanger that forced me to keep reading even after my bed time alarm had screeched at me yet again!

The idea of an Ark in space is very good, and the prospect of whatever nasties lurking inside coming back to Earth is scary, though the impact and implications of that miss the mark just a fraction. In order to care about the fate of someone, even an entire population, the reader needs to know more about them first.

The twists and turns were nicely done, and I love that "Ah, I knew it!" feeling, or indeed the opposite "Oh man, I didn't see that coming!"

This is the sort of story I'd love to read more of in a sequel. What happened next? Who dies and who survives? Is there a reason why? And so on. Lots of questions I'm sure can easily fill a sequel.

I recommend this to anyone keen on reading a strange yet satisfying blend of zombie, apocalypse, matrix (sort of - or virtual world), sci-fi style genre.

There are chapters to the sequel, Vessel, on Andrew Morgan's website, which is where I'm heading now!