on 15 November 2013
This short 'what if' variation on Pride and Prejudice picks up with Elizabeth touring in Derbyshire with the Gardiners, before they visit Pemberley. They are having a picnic at a beauty spot and Elizabeth longs to climb up to the top of the nearby rocks, but the Gardiners won't allow it. She sees a man descending from the climb who looks familiar, and lo and behold it's Mr Darcy. He offers to escort her safely up to the top. She is embarrassed of course, but 'What are men to rocks and mountains?'. She accepts his offer and while on the mountains, Mr Darcy tells her the story of his parent's romance, and why this spot was of importance to them, and hence important to him. As we know, Elizabeth is open to changing her mind about Mr Darcy so perhaps this will let her see another side of Mr Darcy?

The story of the Darcys and how they came to fall in love and marry made up a large section of the novella and it was really charming. I bought this book to cheer myself up and it certainly worked, I found myself smiling nearly all the way through it.

The only word of warning that I'd give is also in the product description, and that is the novella isn't particularly long, plus there's an excerpt of another book at the end. It only took me about 50 mins to read, but I am a fast reader. Since I was aware it was short I wasn't disappointed. Although I'd always like a bit more, because I'm greedy, the story doesn't feel over short. I really enjoyed this novella and I'd certainly recommend it.
on 14 November 2013
I greatly enjoyed my second story by Abigail Reynolds - although only a novella it was a very sweet little book with a great story! Hearing the account of Darcy's parent's courtship gave great background and a new dimension to Darcy's character and a real insight into his childhood which was fascinating.

I thought it was very clever how as Darcy begins to tell the tale to Elizabeth, instead of just hearing his account, it jumps back to the time and we see the story unfold as it is happening. It was a very endearing story between his parents and I felt myself being drawn into just as much as Elizabeth was! When we return to the present and see the effect and true implication of this romance between his parents in relation to the current Mr Darcy and Elizabeth and the scenes which follow are very romantic... But I do not wish to give anything away.

This was a really sweet little story and very unique and unlike any other variation I have read before. The use of his parent's courtship in aiding the relationship between Darcy and Elizabeth was a novel idea, and I enjoyed the detailed insight this story gave into Darcy's continued and ardent love and admiration of Elizabeth. It was an enjoyable escape into the world of Darcy and Elizabeth for an hour or two.
on 22 February 2018
If you are in the mood for a lighter Jane Austen type experience, this is a very pleasant short read. You can always find the light side of Jane Austen in the real thing, but there is more to even the lightest of her novels. And here it was obvious from the beginning that the script writer was on Anne's side as well as Elisabeth's. The suspense was only in how much tweaking of plot and character she would need, and that was neatly done.
on 7 December 2013
This book is a novella, it took about an hour to read. It tells the tale of a chance meeting between Darcy and Elizabeth in Derbyshire. The opportunity for a walk together provides Darcy the opportunity to speak Elizabeth privately, sharing the story of his parents relationship which in many ways mirrored their own.

I really enjoyed this book, I have read a number of books by this author and found all of them delightful!
on 4 November 2016
This novella was sensitively written and leaves the reader with tender feelings towards Darcy and Elizabeth. It is a memorable tale, just like the original
on 6 April 2018
Wonderful light story of Mr. Darcy's origin.
I absolutely loved it!
on 23 June 2015
ok but prefer Austin
on 2 October 2014
excellent
on 1 January 2014
The book was enjoyable to read due to the fact that it was straight to the point. However it was cut short at the end, for instance you could of of talked about they when they went to get the father blessing.
on 2 July 2014
Although it is really short, I loved the romantic content and the happy out come, well worth the read.