on 31 August 2017
When I started taking pictures there were no digital cameras, everything was film driven, take your photographs then 1 of 2 things would happen next, you would either send your film off to be developed & printed or for black and white photography, you could develop & print your photographs, which was learning a skill. Thanks to this excellent book by Robin Whalley, I have learned another skill. After taking my photographs, with a bit of practice, I will now be able to enhance the images I have taken using software. A bit like digital dodging & burning to enhance the images I have recorded with my camera. Why do this you may ask? Doesn't your camera produce sharp images? Yes it does, it produces excellent images but reading the book & learning the software skills is a bit like enhancing your images in the digital darkroom. A professionally produced book includes images of the software so you see things in perspective, give it a read & give your images the WOW factor.
on 8 June 2014
I originally bought the Nik plugin package solely for Silver Efex Pro and then - when seeing there were other options that I might use - I got this kindle book as well as its companions, thinking that I would possibly get round to using at some time. Then the online course that I am undertaking started to introduce sharpening in one of the modules and I took the plunge of investing time - given a good initial experience with the companion Silver Efex Pro book.
.........How pleased I am with the time investment.........
The book is simple and fits in well with the previous read, with style and layout being familiar.
My first attempt, albeit clumsy in comparison to the excellent included worked examples was simply stunning. The 24MB landscape holiday image that was well focused, with a sensible histogram and pleasing "in-camera" result, (which I felt pretty proud of upon capture - you can just tell can't you!) was transformed into a sharp, almost 3D-like picture - and a quantum leap in quality - and all done at the airport on my laptop whilst waiting through the 2 hour weather delay for my flight.
An easy, but succinct, read, well worth the small investment of money and will be referred to frequently in the months to come as clumsy attempts become more refined. Recommended.
One person found this helpful
on 30 April 2018
Great ease at understanding how to use the software and making my images pop..! I will purchase all his Kindle books over the next few weeks...
on 11 February 2014
Tried and bought the NIK plugin package and followed with purchase of all of Robin Whalley's NIK plugin guides in digital form to see what more I could do with it all. The guides are a good useful insight into making positive use of the plugins and clarifies using a number of the available editing approaches.
on 7 July 2015
very good book. It assumes you know a bit about Nik software in advance, but that is only to be expected. Having taken that assumption into account it takes you though the process of achieving razor sharp photos
on 26 May 2018
easy purchase
on 8 January 2014
I have the compete NIK Collection and have regularly used all their other Plug-ins - Sharpener Pro I have found to be the most difficult to use.
Robin's e-book has really helped me to understand and get the most out of 'Sharpener'. As with his other e-books you can download his example images and work alongside in Photoshop. I find e-books really excellent for tutorial work - to have them beside you on your tablet is so much easier than a 'book' - no problem with keep losing your page!
on 4 May 2016
It is great to have a single subject explained like this by an expert. I feel like there is now a real chance of me using the tool with understanding.
on 19 November 2015
I regard this book as another step in the right direction in trying to gain perfection in photography.
on 5 August 2016
useful helpful guide for beginners