Format: Kindle Edition|Change

on 20 December 2013
Take Me Home is the story of Inary who is living in London after being jilted by her ex, and is just a little bit in love with her best friend Alex. She has to return to her native Scotland where her sister is in the final stages of her life and to help the brother she feels resents her for running away.

How can she cope with the death of her sister and the loss of Alex too after she closed herself off to him so she can never be hurt by anyone again?

This is one of the most emotional stories I think I've read. I adored reading Watch Over Me by Dani and this was a magnificent and completely perfect second novel which is set in the same village.

I quickly became completely and utterly immersed in the story and felt like I was part of the scenery. I read a lot through bleary eyes. It was so moving and emotional in parts that I could not breathe! There were other scenes where very interesting things were happening to Inary that I was completely fascinated by and wanted to find out so much more!

Dani is an incredible writer and I hope to be reading many more of her books in the future. She writes in such a compelling way that you cannot wait to find out what happens next even if you know that your heart is going to break in two!

While it was extremely sad in parts, it was overall marvellously uplifting and certainly left me with peace and hope.

Just completely beautiful!
11 comment| 157 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 January 2014
I adored Daniela's Watch Over Me, in fact I notice that I am quoted in Amazon's product description of her new book Take Me Home praising Watch Over Me saying "Take your time when you read this, absorb every word, because it's totally and utterly worth it. The first book I've ever wanted to read again before I'd even finished turning the last page; this book will stay with me forever".

So you can imagine my delight when Take Me Home arrived one morning. So much so, I ditched the book I was reading mid-way through (I was struggling with it, and I needed an excuse to move on) and started to devour this new book. It had big boots to fill, and did it live up to expectations? Yes, it did. I don't think I loved it as much, but only because I wanted more. I wanted more of Inary and Alex and the ending wasn't quite as beautiful as I had hoped for.

It was the perfect read to keep me sane on my delayed Tuesday morning commute, and it only took two days of commuting to finish rapidly turning the pages.

Take Me Home has tinges of similarities to Watch Over Me; there are the broken hearts, the sadness and the element of "paranormal activity", but it is unique and wonderful in its own right.

The book is written from different characters perspectives, and it alternatives perfectly to allow you to capture each characters innermost thoughts. This style of writing doesn't break the pace or flow of the book - it's perfect.

The other book (which I ditched for this one, and which shall remain nameless for now), was causing me problems because I just couldn't identify with the main character. I just didn't care. However, I loved Inary from the first page of this book. The book resounded with me, as I too find myself distancing myself from relationships (although for me it isn't the conventional reason of having my own heart broken) and Inary's deepest thoughts occasionally reminded me of myself. I also loved Alex - he sounds like the sort of man I would like in my life.

Take Me Home really is a truly beautiful story; it's gripping and it's moving. It will hold your interest from the first sentence right through to the last, and it will leave you wanting more from Daniela Sacerdoti.

Once again, I am left wondering what book could possibly replace the void which Dani has left, once more, in my life.
22 comments| 52 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 19 December 2013
I was a bit dubious about this book before I started reading, for the simple reason that I didn't really enjoy Watch Over Me all that much, but I am pleased to say I was very pleasantly surprised in the end and really enjoyed this read. From the start it felt much better edited, with definitely less use of the "wee" word and just much less twee all round.

It is based once again in Glen Avich and it was nice to meet some old familiar faces from Watch Over Me, including Eilidh. Inary, the main character here, has spent three years avoiding commitment, sworn off love forever and is determined not to get too close to best friend Alex. She is not going to take any risk of getting hurt again. She also needs to build bridges with brother Logan following the recent death of their sister Emily, which has rocked both their worlds.

Inary gets a shock when an old gift that she had thought was lost returns to her, which brings a huge dose of the supernatural to the story, and this really made the read a little bit extra special for me with a 100 year old mystery that Inary is compelled to get to the bottom of. The story flowed nicely with nice, likeable characters, and is told alternately from the viewpoints of Inary, Alex and Logan. I did feel that the last couple of chapters were maybe a little rushed, but on the whole this was a really good enjoyable romantic read with strong supernatural overtones, a gentle story that sneaks up on you and grabs your attention. I really like the setting the author has created in Glen Avich, the people, the scenery and the loch, and hopefully we haven't said goodbye to it forever.
on 16 February 2014
Found this an easy read, I like to think there is something out there when we die & this story makes you believe there is. Would recommend anyone who believes in the afterlife & wants a not heavy read of the spiritual world to give this a go.
on 18 February 2014
This book is well worth reading. The author's style is enchanting and she writes with such ease. The story draws you in with the character's tragic family circumstances. She returns to Scotland to pick up the pieces of her sister's illness and leaves her own love life in a mess. I don't want to give any more away but it's a real page turner. There's also a hint of the supernatural in this story which is convincingly written. If you have read Watch Over Me by the same author this is in a similar vein but even better. You could read these two books in any order and they are both fantastic. A real bargain on the Kindle!
on 24 January 2014
Having read the description and also Daniela's Watch Over Me I thought this book would be too similar,but no.The fimiliar setting and the crossover of characters worked really well.I really enjoyed it and the wee reminders of my granny made it a very enjoyable read,Thank you.
on 24 January 2014
what a captivating story, gripped my attention all the way through, can't wait to read another one of Daniela sacerdoti books.
on 4 February 2014
I could not put this book down, from the very start I was gripped! the power in this book was like a magnet to me. please write a follow up it was brilliant!
on 6 March 2016
I got book one for free and ended up buying the other three books. This is how I like to do it these days as then you are trying out an author risk free and then if you like the story you are happy to buy the other books. Everyone wins. These books are a gentle read, not demanding. I like the way the author interweaves the characters from each book - the stories concentrate on one character but then she introduces them again in subsequent books - they reappear like friends not seen for a while. Nice idea. Well written. Recommended.
Inary is a Scottish girl living in London and working for a publisher but her soul longs to be in Glen Avich near Aberdeen. When her sister Emily , who has a serious heart condition , becomes very ill she returns home to be with her and her brother Logan. The story is written in a series of different perspectives of the other characters in the novel and works very well bringing the narrative to life. Inary possesses "The Sight" or the ability to communicate with the troubled souls of people who've died in tragic circumstances and this forms the basis for this excellent tale of love and redemption - A must read book with believable characters and excellent conclusion.