on 15 August 2015
This is an old book, in the sense that it was written a long time ago. So long ago that fixed spool reels were newly on the market, and fibre glass was entirely in the future.

For all of that, it seems short. Mr Crabtree was serialized in comics in my youth, which is a long time ago, but even those must have been reprints. I am sure that there were originally thousands of pages worth of this material, but here we have barely a hundred if you count the covers. Only half of the book is illustrations, though the words are fine too.

I'm sure that at the time (1949), a book of a hundred pages was a reasonable offering, but to simply reprint that when all of the other material is presumably preserved (since it was published in the Mirror from 1947 to 1949 and onwards and the Mirror is preserved) seems wasteful.

All in all, expensive for what it is, but if you remember the original strips with fondness, it may be worth the price.
on 3 October 2010
I first saw Mr Crabtree and his inevitable pipe when I was about 10 years old.

My brothers and I had discovered fishing and we would spend numberless luckless hours on the river banks and pools.

But after reading this book, we started to catch fish. Knowing what they are and where they are is a big step forward. You learn the difference between bottom and top fishing, the weight of tackle for different fish and circumstances. There is even an examination of fly fishing.

Fly fishing is the one that caught me and for several years in my teens, my Dad and I would nip off in the caravan for a weekend on a fly-blown river or lake.

For freezing winter days, sitting with slippers in front of the fire, a hot toddy to hand and Mr Crabtree Goes Fishing in your lap - Bliss.

Recommended,
Ian, Hampshire
on 28 August 2015
If I could, I would give it ten.One of the great influences on my childhood. So wonderful to get hold of a copy, still in 1952 format. Nothing has changed.

A reminder of a more simple, trusting world.Happy days.

Pity Bernard Venebles never made any money out of the 2million copies sold. His employer, the Daly Mirror, took the lot.
on 17 January 2014
This book takes you back too the days of your childhood when fishing was fishing no fancy tackle / fansy baits ect .This is a great read for all elderly fisherman out their relive your younger days and think about the tackle you used then and the tackle you have got now half of what we have now we don't use .I for one wish I had bought the book when it was 5 Bob treat your
self you won't be disappointed .
on 29 September 2015
It is like going back in time when fishing was down to luck and judgement and having the skill to use the type of tackle that was available at the time. I would recommend this to anybody who likes fishing just to see how much it has changed from then to now.
on 28 May 2012
I bought this book as I'd heard a great deal about how it was an inspiration to many young anglers when it was first released in the form of newspaper segments. Any fisherman knows that the boy in the angler never dies and reading this book is like taking a trip back in time. Each time I read it I was taken back to a time when, as a small boy who didn't have the means to take himself fishing, my passion for fishing was mostly lived out through my imagination and the written words of others. The illustrations are beautiful and the book symbolises the innocence and adventure of a good day's fishing.
on 17 June 2007
I acquired a copy of this latest print so as to preserve my original copy which is, I think, about 42 years old now. It doesn't include the sea fishing section but the freshwater section was always what this book was really about.

As a child I was mad about fishing and I blame this book for that. The watercolours are so evocative of the British countryside and its wildlife and delight fishermen and non fishermen alike. It evokes a simpler time and an England long gone.

As a child I spent many hours reading and re-reading this book in the dark winter nights, dreaming of spring and to catch a Tench!

The tackle portrayed is now very outdated but the methods still stand up.

Get a copy! I've just ordered one for my 7 year old nephew so as to carry on the tradition.
11 Comment| 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 28 November 2013
A classic masterpiece that although dated in many ways is still a joy to read. I was bought a copy as a child, lost it many years ago and decided to purchase again - a little bit of fond nostalgia, most definitely. Any fisherman would love this book.
on 3 July 2015
Being of an age where I used to borrow tis from the library as a kid, it not only takes me back to the clueless 12 yea old but is full of information that is as relevant to today as it was then.

The only down side is that I found it hard to read on my Kindle, thou it was fine on an iPad
on 6 August 2017