on 9 March 2015
An all round amazing laptop probably have had it for just over a month now, I was being very picky when it came to purchasing my second laptop, I'd had a Dell laptop for just over 6 years so it was pretty hard to compete, I bought a Lenovo Flex 2 which was more expensive then the Asus and I returned it within the same week, the screen and sound quality were poor, I'm noone technical but I know what I need and want from a laptop, decent storage space, good quality speakers and screen and an overall fast easy to use laptop, this delivered. The sound is better than my dell laptop my brother thought I was playing music from my stereo speakers but no it was this laptop! you can hear the bass and there's no tinny sound at all, the screen quality is great really bright screen and I luckily got a good deal I got the Core i7 for £420 because the laptop had a minor scratch, I would definitely recommend if your going to buy any laptop get at least Core i5 or above, no faults at all really I'll just write a few pros and cons

Pros - Great battery life around 5 hrs, Amazing sound, Great bright screen, Doesn't overheat (only makes slight sound when disk is being used), Fast and easy to use, built in Disk/CD drive and a pretty light weight laptop too.

Cons - No led backlight keyboard, Windows 8 (need I say more, but windows 10 out soon so can upgrade for free!), Getting used to touchpad is a bit annoying because it doesn't have separate keys for left and right click but most laptops are like that nowdays (also the zoom in and out feature on touchpad is a little annoying too but you'll get used to it)

Great laptop, will update if I have any issues but highly doubt it, really really pleased I'm always hesitant to spend this much on a laptop but it's well worth it, if anyone has any questions i'll happily answer!
3 people found this helpful
on 23 October 2016
Great laptop! I still use this laptop and it still works excellently after 2 years. It's very big but isn't horribly heavy, so is perfect for taking on trips. It's also pretty good for gaming as it has a big screen. The touchpad can get in the way a little, but not enough for it to be an issue.

I really don't have any complaints about this laptop as I haven't had any issues with it, highly recommended for the low price.
One person found this helpful
on 16 September 2015
I've had constant issues with this machine, even after sending it back and them sending me one with all new insides.

The internet cuts out (which doesn't happen on my other devices), the computer freezes, and new windows updates regularly bring new issues. Currently all my browsers (Firefox, Chrome, IE) all don't work so I've no way of using the internet. Yet Dropbox can still sync my files fine?!

I've spent way too long troubleshooting and trying to put out fires, now having to buy a new computer as this is interfering with my work to much.

Not recommended at all.
on 21 July 2015
I have been using this laptop 5 days out of the 7 for the most part for about 10 months now, and for the most part I have been impressed. With the price that I paid it is running quite well. Sadly Windows 8.1 has slowed it down compared to what I had hoped, especially over time it has gotten worse. I then switched to dual-booting Ubuntu and while it speeds it up, it has also made me notice that the battery has not lasted as long as I would hope. Now I am lucky to get 2 to 2 and a half hours out of the battery from full charge, something that is quite a disappointment.

Overall it was a very good laptop for the price I paid, but there definitely are better ones out there, if you're looking for cheep, cheerful and something that you can use and abuse for a year or so, this may well be a good choice
on 9 April 2016
I bought the £399.99 Core i7 4GB RAM version of this laptop in September 2014, and have been consistently using it as my main laptop ever since. I initially bought it because of it's high specs and good reviews, but there's lots of nuances about this laptop that have annoyed me.

PROS:
• Smart gesture keyboard is VERY nice and comfortable to use for a laptop in this price range. Never overheats or feels uncomfortable for the fingers. Quite intuitive, though there have been instances where it is unresponsive.

• Audio output is quite good, usually with other laptops in the past I've always had to augment the sound with USB speakers or similar. At least with these ones they're quite loud.

CONS (unfortunately this is a much longer list):
• No backlit keyboard. As a uni student who often likes to play with my 15.6" in a dark room ;-) this is quite annoying. I have to bend the laptop display forwards so that the light reflects off the keys!

• Although it comes with 4GB RAM, I found that the laptop was suffering from poor performance (I believe the 4GB RAM was insufficient in properly supporting the i7 processor). I had to buy an additional 4GB RAM to fix this.

• There's a significantly noticeable performance drop when the laptop is not being charged.

• The photos on Amazon give the misleading impression that this laptop is made of high quality materials (akin to a MacBook). However, it isn't very great to touch though looks "decent". Definitely does not look and feel as slick as it does in the pictures.

• Another big nuisance is that the HDMI and VGA ports are placed too close together. This means that you can't use both simultaneously (the connector for VGA cables is too big and the two connector pins on a standard VGA cable will obstruct the HDMI port. The workaround for this it to actually cut off the obstructing connector pin on the VGA cable and bend in the metal plate...

• After a year of use, I started to get a lot of dead pixels on my laptop screen, currently have three groups of them on the screen. The only workaround for this is to extend the display to another monitor.

Regarding battery life, this laptop isn't anything special. I don't get the fabled 5 hours of battery life that others claim, in fact I only get 2 hours maximum
on 8 November 2014
Great laptop, great price, fantastic value.
I was toying with the idea of either an iPad or a MacBook, but both were out of my price range and I felt I didn't know enough to stray fem windows for my business yet.
This is well spec'd enough to run photoshop, OpenOffice and other bespoke software my shop uses, all at once.
I like the touchpad shortcuts and it is very intuitive.
It doesn't run a mobile version of windows, which is what I was looking for; as many chrome books and laptops now are light and powerful, but not really Syitabke for businesses, unlike this laptop.
Batter lasts a long time compared to other laptops I have used and it fits in my backpack easily, which was specified to fit a 15" MacBook Air. Nice surprise there.
Lightweight but powerful. Good for graphics on the go, and good strong wifi signals, where even my iPhone won't pick them up.
One person found this helpful
on 30 April 2018
Used this for many years and even sore me through my first year of uni. I would say that the hardware is a little dated now but would still be ok for beginners and even those that just search the web and watch movies.
on 30 November 2014
Very pleased with this laptop! Lightweight, sleek and cool, doesn't start heating until a good few hours of intense use. I use it mainly for browsing and word processing, with some gaming - not heavy, not 3D, I don't think i3 is best for serious gaming.

Love the touchpad, the keyboard feels nice under my fingertips, very decent screen quality. Could do with capslock light - it's a very minor thing but it can be pretty annoying at times.

It comes with a 30 day subscription to McAfee and you will want to either upgrade it or buy Norton. My laptop came with Windows 8 and then I updated it to windows 8.1 - super smooth operating system, it only took me an hour or so to become completely familiar with it. I am surprised that many reviewers found the OS difficult or unintuitive - in my opinion it is pretty much the opposite!

All in all a brilliant laptop! ✌️
on 29 December 2015
Love the notebook - great performance, great resolution, and sound quality and haven't seen it heat up or make any noises so far. I upgraded to Windows 10, have tried running multiple processor-clogging apps together without noticing any major degradation on the performance. Very happy with the purchase and would highly recommend - it's a hidden gem when it comes to good laptops - I'm surprised it isn't as popular as I would expect it to be! Would happily buy again!

What stands out more is the seller - I sent him an email asking if this could be delivered in time for xmas (guilty of late shopping!) and even though Amazon said it couldn't be delivered before the end of the year, he kept it touch with me and made sure it was delivered a few days before xmas.

Happy to highly recommend the seller and the product! (Saved my Christmas!)
on 30 November 2014
Had a lot of trouble to update it, not the laptop faults but software indeed. Hardware is awesome, good finishing quality, great specs for a good price. Bear in mind that updating from Windows 8 to 8.1 can be a bit of trouble - get ready to spend some time and patience with it.

PS.: It could come with Windows 8.1 update installed already, surely would save disappointments and headache.