on 13 December 2014
These are substantial plastic treads with a little flexibility. They have a nice, fully flat end section of 3 cm to push under your tyre, and then the top nodules would grip your tyre's tread. The nodules cover both upper and lower surfaces on a 2 cm grid and are 0.5 cm deep - they look plenty deep enough to do the job - I can't test them yet (and probably most of us buying these will never need to use them, but will at least have peace of mind).

A bonus is that the treads fix together end-to-end, using three lugs into three holes - these are a good, tight fit but can be pulled apart cleanly. So you could use one double-length tread on a single wheel when appropriate, or join on a second set.

I wanted a product with open holes so that I can attach my tether and not lose the treads in action - please DO NOT do this unless you have tested that the tether will not foul your front wheels or your REAR wheels after being driven over by your front wheels (assuming front-wheel-drive - not a problem for rear-wheel-drives).

Another undisclosed bonus is the supplied bag - a blue groundsheet-style stitched drawstring bag with a Winter Guard logo. This is internally plastic-coated and looks waterproof enough to return the used treads to your car without mess. It is spacious, so that you could fit a second pair into the same bag, and frozen or muddy fingers could get the treads back into the bag easily. (Tip: pack disposable plastic gloves in with the treads.)

They measure 55 x 15 cm - my tyres are 18 cm across (average family car). Obviously there is an element of compromise - I wanted something compact to store. Although in extreme conditions you might want something a bit wider and longer, not many of us face those conditions.

I have tyre spray as well (search for 'liquid snow chains' - there are several products) and I would use this on the drive tyres, as much as I could reach of them, before driving onto the treads. The spray trebles traction in snow or water, and would come into action as the car moved forward off the treads and onto the snow or mud. It's harmless to tyres and bodywork, and wears off as soon as you reach tarmac.

Delivery was adequate but no more - within the (standard delivery) time of 4-7 days but only just, and with just a black plastic bag for packing so that the nice product box was very squashed.

All in all, very much a recommended product at a very reasonable price. Who knows whether it'll be this winter that makes them necessary, or the next...?
on 2 March 2014
i got 2 sets of these one for my car and the other for my wife, as yet neither have been used. they have good nodules on them for grip and they can be joined end to end for longer grip, they are about 20in long and 6 wide (i got an email from someone asking the size as its not stated on the web) should do the job but time will tell.
on 30 January 2015
Only used these once,we had snow so put one under each front tyre my wheels just spun on them,i looked at my tyres after and both front tyres had lost all there tread . Would not recommend these. ( USELESS )
on 19 April 2015
Not functional the car weight and neccesary speed to evacuate deep snow. left me floundering. Perhaps these maybe used in a light snow. Nothing a 4x4 can't handle without them. Not my best buy.
on 19 April 2016
Well they look good but luckily haven't had to use them yet but they are in handy bag and will stay in the car boot just incase. I bought two lots to give a better run.
on 6 March 2016
Haven't used them yet but fast delivery well packaged and at a superb price. Ideal for that bad weather need.
on 13 February 2016
Useful for when necessary, good bag to stow them in meantime.
on 4 January 2016
Very good product, would recommend.
on 22 January 2014
We bought these ready for when we had snow and ice this Winter. However, so far, we haven't needed to use them as it has only rained. We have tried them on and them fit perfectly for when we do need to use them.
on 30 August 2016