Format: Audio CD|Change

on 5 January 2014
How long have I been waiting for this?All your life?Yes all my life!Finally released on cd.
I could't believe my eyes when I unpacked my Amazon packet.This film music by Paul Ferris
can be enjoyed by every one who knows this film.

Was it worth the waiting? Yes!I tell you why:

The cd is presented in a comfortable digipack.The cd cover should be like the booklet cover
and it would be perfect in my eyes.The Witchfinder is back from oblivion!

The score has been remastered and the result is simply stunning!Thanks!

The booklet contains the whole story of the making of this cult film.The fact that the ''child'' Michael
Reeves has trouble with the old guys on the set:Vincent Price.Initially Reeves wanted Donald Pleseance for
the role of Hopkins.But Price proofed to be the right choice.One of his best achievements on the screen.

A lot of budget confusion was there and the US release was equipped with synthesizer music!To Paul Ferris chagrin of course.

The booklet is also enhanced by beautiful photos from the film,and Ferris is seen during screaming for his lamented wife.She is burned by the witchfinder.

Everyone who knows this film:buy it and enjoy this masterpiece of british film music.Also a tribute to Michael Reeves who died so young unfortunately.

Ferris uses folk music and the beautiful romantic string theme(you know what I mean)is based on the greensleeves melody which is Elizabethan from origin.

The album is still hard to get here.I got it through Amazon fortunately.

The LP version with the strange title is a collectors item indeed but has not the quality of the cd.

As mentioned the cd is remastered from the original tapes and contains 2 previous unreleased tracks.

I must admit that I am fascinated by the theme ''Witchfinder General''.I have the movie on disc,now the soundtrack and I love the NWOBHM band Witchfinder General:Death penalty.Yeah!

This cd is made for the real fans of this great classic.Buy it now and do not wait.You never know when it is SOLD OUT!Get it!!And keep on playing it!One of the best horror music ever made to my opinion.
on 17 December 2013
I have loved this film since I was a boy and like many others have eagerly awaited the soundtrack release thinking it would never actually happen. A small section of the music was previously obtainable on an obscure De Wolfe vinyl LP of library music called Stange Location, the music of Paul Ferris and Peter Knight, which changes hands for silly money, but now at last we have the real thing in it's entirety. Paul Ferris (who also had a small part in the film) does an unforgettable job and the music is both haunting and beautiful. Sound quality, sourced from newly discovered master tapes, is first rate and De Wolfe have not disappointed here. The extensive liner notes are also very welcome. Sincere thanks for finally giving us this. My only crtiticism is just why did we have to wait so long? Go buy it now before they change their mind!
on 7 January 2014
I never thought I would ever own a CD of the original soundtrack for Witchfinder General and now that I have this in my hand it is still hard to believe. The sound quality of the recording is surprisingly excellent and the packaging is terrific. I can't recommend this CD highly enough. Thank you De Wolf Ltd.
on 10 January 2014
After years of making do with an admittedly excellent rerecorded suite on Silva Screen's A History of Horror compilation, at last we get a CD of one of filmmusic's hidden gems - beloved by those who know it, worthy of discovery by those who don't. Paul Ferris creates a score of two halves. A lush, quintessentially English pastorale serves Ian Ogilvy's travels around the countryside and love scenes with his fiancé, and is quite simply one of cinema's most evocative and beautiful orchestral themes. Countering this are rasping trombones, sharp and vicious, for depravities of Matthew Hopkins and his acolytes. This is clever, rich and stunning music, and the influence of French composer Maurice Jarre lends steel and courage to some of the more dissonant, aggressive sections (indeed, Ferris' cameo in the film is credited to "Morris Jar"). Amazing music, great package. Simply a must have CD.
on 28 July 2014
Thank you De Wolfe for uncovering the holy grail of horror film soundtracks.

Read my full review here: http://thesoundofvincentprice.blogspot.co.uk/2014/07/witchfinder-general-holy-grail-of.html
on 3 May 2014
original soundtrack, an old film, but a classic and the sound track is pure quality, full stereo, like it was recorded yesterday
on 22 July 2013
My heart jumped for joy when I saw that this soundtrack was finally going to be released! I ordered it straight away and then waited and waited to no avail as it never saw the light of day.
I saw the film in 1968 and aways remember the stunning music. Its in the same league as Blood on Satans Claw, which has been released on LP and CD.
When is this soundtrack for Witchfinder General ever going to be released on CD?? - Maybe be I'll be dead from old age by the time some bright spark gets around too it.
on 30 August 2014
This is the music to the Witchfinder General, their is not a lot one can say about music from a film, but if you liked the film you will like this CD.
on 4 April 2015
A superb soundtrack from a superb film. Soundtrack wonderfully put together by Paul Ferris. If you like the film, you'll love this.
on 3 March 2015
great item, notes are great too. unfortunately I managed to tear the paper sleeve when removing disk though :-(