• Cult

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 21 February 2014
Bayside's 6th album is instantly recognisable as Bayside, yet it builds on their previous work rather than merely repeating it. Lyrically it takes on a different theme to previous albums, with less focus on relationships and more about leaving (or not) a mark on the world.

Great music, brilliant lyrics, highly recommended :)
on 21 February 2014
I have been a Bayside fan since 2007 and I have enjoyed each album just as much as, if not more than the last and Cult is no exception. This is an earlier contender for my personal Album of the year competition and It is going to be hard to beat.
The album takes a couple of listens to appreciate how brilliant the lyrics and music are even though some songs hit you straight away such as "You' re No Match" and "Pigsty" the latter would not sound out of place on a classicTony Hawk's... computer game soundtrack. My favourite song on the album changes on a daily if not hourly basis right now is "Transitive Property" which possibly showcases Anthony Raneri's finest songwriting to date. It has been a while since I have been so impressed/obsessed with an album. Cannot wait to see some of these new songs live in April when on tour with Alkaline Trio. The Vinyl came with a download card as well so you get a high quality MP3 version of the album to blast on headphones on your walk to work or wherever. It really is that good.
on 26 March 2014
I love this band, I've seen them twice and was blown away on both occassions. I have to say that I have drifted as a fan over the last 2 records as they didn't hit me as hard as The Walking Wounded etc but I have to say that this is hands down the best record they have ever written! I haven't been this obsessed with an album in a long time.....Anthony nails the lyrics (so good) and Jack just kills it with those solos......I look forward to both with equal measure. It's as though they sound delighted to be back on an independent label. I will be front and centre for the show this April with Alkaline Trio. just hoping to meet the lads again and express to them the impact this one has had on a jaded 41 year old punk who really should be hanging up his studded belt :-)
on 19 April 2016
Not who I thought it was.Nevertheless love my music and is in my collection will grow on me.
on 31 May 2014
When I ordered this CD, I genuinely thought 'Bayside' was the name of the new album by one of my favourite rock bands,The Cult! Call me an idiot but it was so misleading, even the typeface and graphics on the packaging look very 'The Cult'-ish, so I opened the cellophane wrapper and eagerly placed the disc in my CD player.
I listened through the first track and thought 'Ian Astbury sounds different, this doesn't sound like The Cult's style at all".
The second track came on and that's when I looked at the CD digipack info booklet and realised the huge clanger I'd dropped!
I didn't know whether to laugh or cry...cry at the stupid mistake I had made or laugh with joy that Astbury and the boys had NOT turned into a third rate American college rock outfit after all!
A few bars into the third track "Hate Me" and I thought 'how apt that track is, I do hate you!' I couldn't take it anymore, so off it came!
I tried, I really did try to like Bayside, the band and their album "Cult" but I just couldn't.
I wanted to return it for a refund but as I'd took the shrink wrap off I don't think they would take it back, so I'm now left with a white elephant of a CD of music I hate, that will never be played (by me) again.
Perhaps I might take it to a car boot sale and hope that by chance a true Bayside fan will walk by, spot it and feel excited at my £1 price tag and offer me 50p, which I would willingly take in a heartbeat.
Or I could take up smoking and fashion the disc into an ashtray, which would be more useful than what it is in its present form.
Bayside, smayside, I say! What a load of tripe!
Unless you like The Offspring, Blink 182 and similar bands of that ilk, stay away from this album. I made a huge error in buying this album, I know. Perhaps I'd had one too many glasses of grape juice when I ordered this.
Avoid!!