on 6 August 2017
When Jefferson Grammaticus (a retired lawyer) and his business partners, the Freeman brothers, buy The Manse it is in a shocking state after years of neglect. They renovate the place to a luxurious standard to turn it into an exclusive country hotel - for discerning guests only, of course.

They plan a murder-mystery weekend as an opening event, with a specially written mystery and costumes for all. Murders soon happen, but they are all too real. Enter Falconer and Carmichael to solve yet more crimes. We get to hear of Carmichael's Kojak obsession, and Falconer acquires another cat …it's all such good fun!
HALL OF FAMETOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 3 June 2016
Jefferson Grammaticus and his two business partners have spent a long time refurbishing a run down building - The Manse. It is now a luxurious hotel and preparing to open to its first guests and it is a murder mystery weekend. Unfortunately what is meant to be fiction turns out to be murder in reality.

I enjoyed this book not just for the mystery but for the descriptions of the guests and the staff. DI Harry Falconer and his partner DS Davey Carmichael are sent in to investigate and find themselves struggling to find out who is responsible for the murders because at first there seem to be no suspects and then when they unravel some more evidence they suddenly have too many suspects.

Harry and Davey are gradually building a very good working relationship and I love the way they work together. This is a well written series with plenty of humour, some well plotted mysteries and some marvellous characters. The books can be read as standalone novels or as part of a series.
on 30 April 2016
As with the others in this series I really enjoy them but wish the murder would happen a little earlier. For me it was a book of two halves; the first half lacking some pace and I caught myself wondering if I really would get to half way without there actually being a victim. Once however you do get to that point, the speed picks up and it is a fast paced, excellent read.

I enjoyed the setting of this one, less geographic locations to have to plot in my head and the character list although still lengthy not as long as in others within the series.

This almost sounds as if I didn't enjoy it and yet I did; as I always do with the Falconer Files. They are light and friendly with inflated characters and a good deal of mirth. They scoop you along as the reader making you smile, laugh and wince at the situations and dialogue. It is this cosy atmosphere that makes them what they are and as such I would recommend.
on 25 May 2014
I'm a big fan of Andrea Frazer and have read most of her books. I like them because they are brilliant who done its. She writes with humour and her main characters are endearing as she introduces you to their personalities and traits. As soon as I finish one of her books I look for another one. So I would recommend all of her books!
on 18 September 2013
This book is simply enjoyable. Purists might query its realism, but it is in the same "county-shire" as Midsomer Murders, Agatha Christie or Lillian Jackson Braun. Its to be read and enjoyed, and I'm working my way through the series of the Falconer Files....more please!
on 31 July 2014
I have read the previous books in the series and this is the least successful. There is a lot of scene setting in all the books but in this one it is taken to excess and the crimes don't occur until the half way mark. I could have done with the author moving the story a long.
on 24 April 2014
I have just finished this, the 5th in The Falconer Files, and so far they have all been really enjoyable. Easy to put down and pick up where you left off. Looking forward to seeing how the relationship between Falconer and his happy Sergeant, Carmichael, develops in file 6.
on 22 November 2014
Andrea Frazer, you have excelled yourself, if that is possible. How you can come up with such a complicated plot as this one, I have no idea. It is just brilliant and I cannot wait to start reading your next book which I am sure will also astound me. Very well done.
on 30 July 2013
I just love these books. I love the way the policemen's characters are developing, especially how Falconer is changing. The books are fairly light entertaining reading, and I usually find once I start one I want to finish it, a sure sign of a good story.
on 3 April 2014
Although I love the characters of Falconer and Carmichael this latest book had a far too long introduction and I have to admit I did lose interest in it but carried on! Am hoping the rest in the series are more like the previous ones and not this one