on 27 March 2014
I bought this case to hold my Bose QC15 headphones and my iPad 2 which I use primarily as my inflight entertainment. The Twelve South website would seem to indicate this is an ideal use for the Travel Journal - it even goes as far as to recommend using my specific headphones with the case - however there just isn't enough room for everything. I can fit my headphones and iPad in but then closing it isn't easy. It strains and squashes everything inside, putting a worrying amount of pressure on everything.

After that didn't work out I decided to use it instead to hold my various Macbook accessories I take around everywhere, like my power supply with different adapters for different countries, my mouse, a Thunderbolt SSD drive. Again we run into the same problem, it's just not thick enough to hold these things. The EU and UK adapters don't really fit in the case for example - unless you're happy with it being a very tight fit and possibly having to sacrifice the use of the other side of the case to get them in there.

I have another Twelve South product: their Macbook stand. It came with an adapter for the Macbook with Retina but it's obvious it was hastily put together. The Macbook often leans to one side because the rubber insert doesn't provide enough support. This pretty much sums up my experience with the Travel Journal too. It's a nice idea but they haven't really followed it through well. It's not quite right; if they'd made it half-inch or so thicker (or quarter-inch tighter in the case of the Macbook stand) it would probably make all the difference.

So it gets 2 stars for looks but loses 3 stars for being unpractical. I'll be sending mine back.
on 17 January 2014
Pros
- looks amazing
- stores everything I need to take with me
- brilliant for holidays

Cons
- a little too thick
-expensive
- not great for quick use of iPad

I ordered this as a way of carrying my iPad, portable battery, cable, USB stick and headphones with me everywhere I go. For doing this, it's great. It fits a lot in it, although the pictures make it look like it can take more than I can fit.

I can just about squeeze the iPad air with smart case in, so I doubt the older iPad will fit with its smart case. Without the case, it slides in nicely.

Previous to this, I didn't have a nice way of organising everything I like to carry, rather a mishmash of little drawstring bags. This is a convenient replacement.

It feels lovely, like the other BookBooks, and smells amazing. The zips don't go anywhere near anything in the case, so you don't need to worry about damage to items. A small complaint is this is quite thick. I knew this when ordering, but I still wish it was just a little thinner. When in my bag, it takes up majority of the thickness, meaning anything else can't really overlap it. It's too thick to walk around with just in your hand too. However, it is great to just grab this and walk out knowing everything is there.

In the end though this just isn't worth the £65 payed for it. Unlike the other BookBooks which always stay on your product, this is only a sleeve plus space. Since you have to unzip and then pull the iPad out, you can't use this quickly on a train say like a normal sleeve, or like the other BookBooks where you just unzip and use. It will be great for travel, but it's a lot of money for what it is. And the thickness takes away some of the portability.
on 29 March 2016
I bought this as id had experience of the iPhone case and knew the quality i would be buying into. I was not wrong !! unpacking the box from amazon that new leather smell wafted everywhere and when i seen it i knew i was going to be happy with this case. The leather is really premium very well made and it has even had a start on the patina for you, the beauty of these is that they do age and mark up making it unique to you. My iPad is bathed in what looks like lambs wool and whilst it is in there i feel super confident nothing could damage it. This is so much more than a case, my bose headphones and cable and spare battery all fit in here, along with my stylus my charging cables sim ejection tool and even my wallet and sunglasses are all catered for in here. I can't wait for my holiday when i will use this to its full potential. I couldn't be happier with this case it is a great bit of luxury in traditional materials to keep my high tech stuff safe and sound. Love it !! worth every penny cost.
on 30 September 2015
Great case that is still serving me well. Everyone is always surprised to discover it contains an iPad! I got mine for about £65 which I consider a good deal as I have literally used it everyday. My iPad fits in this with a snugg smart cover style case around it (iPad Air) I also manage to fit a cheap keyboard in the case too. Good stuff, well made, love it.
on 17 May 2016
Love the quality of the twelve south products, i think this item has a slight US bias as a UK power supply just doesnt fit right in it, mind you thats our own fault for having a safe plug system.

Quality is great, would definitely buy another one.
on 6 November 2014
Holds the iPad nicely, along with some cables and a charger but there's not an awful lot of room for much else, maybe a small notebook and pen. Looks nice but the biggest thing that would improve this would be to be able to act as an iPad stand, when open.
on 22 October 2014
No doubt it's a superior quality product, and the truth is, if you're looking for a bespoke 'carry all' as I have been for approximately 1,000,000 years - for my Kindle, my phone, my passport and iPad - then all roads lead to this 'Travel Journal Case'. As others have noted, getting your iPad (mine's an Air) into the slot is fine as long as you don't have a case/cover/any dust on it, because it's one hell of a tight fit. If you're worried about your iPad getting damaged, don't be - it's got rather nice soft lining.

In practice, yes, I can get my phone, passport, iPad, case, headphones, a couple of USB cables, maybe a foldy plug thing and my Kindle in it, but once you've used all the different compartments (and I figure this is kind of the point of the case), it's really quite large and thick and, if you're anything like me, you'll look at the Twelve South Travel Journal Case for Apple iPad, Macbook - Brown and ask yourself "why did I just spend all that money shoe-horning my belongings into something the size of a satchel when I could have just bought a small satchel"?

Well, at least I did.
on 12 January 2016
It's my third book book product, it's less than a year old but following suit from the other products stitching has come away from pockets, one side of the zip has come off. I love the product as do most who see but in reality they don't wear well. A travel journal should be robust enough to last ten years of travel not 10 months
review image review image
on 26 June 2014
expensive, but very high quality finish - manage to fit an ipad mini, folding bluetooth headphones, bluetooth keyboard, plug, numerous cables, anker lipstick charger and hdmi adaptor plus various odds and ends.
on 11 March 2014
Excellent quality, does what is promises and is very flexible indeed. Minus 1 star for shipping, as it did not came in signed for, although shipping fees were almost 6 pounds.