on 28 December 2016
Lovely story, hard to work out what happened at 31% when it jumped from workhouse to pit just on return of paragraph however ready for it on next scene change. Well worth reading for anyone interested in local and family history.
on 20 May 2017
Did not like
on 4 August 2014
Yes it said short story BUT my god I've read longer news paper story's. I have enjoyed Catrin Collier books and have told friends too buy them but not this one buy something else. Was it someone else who wrote this????????
on 1 January 2014
This was an interesting short story, although I wonder if Christmas was celebrated this much in the workhouse, ie the decorations and meal served by the public guardians on Christmas Day?
All in all I enjoyed this short story.
on 24 November 2013
A lovely story based on a workhouse in Pontypridd (where I was born) interesting to know how they lived at that time.
My only complaint, it ended too soon.
on 29 January 2014
This was my first book downloaded on my Kindle which was a Xmas present. Pretty appropriate don't you think? And good value at the price !
on 30 December 2013
AS usual a great story based on fact. However the presentation of the E Book was very poorly done. The paragraphs were not defined properly so different portions of the story ran into one another. For that reason my rating is a 4 which is not the authors fault.
on 19 February 2014
Engrossing story showing the hardships which we are lucky to have never known. A close knit community helping each other at times of need.
on 28 March 2014
reminds one that there is humanity left in this world. so little shown these days you tend to forget.thanks catering for reminding me.
on 12 March 2014
A Christmas short story another great book by this. Author always has me pulled into the story the workhouse is now a hospital