Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£5.99

on 11 January 2014
Well it's different, it's strange and yet after many repeat plays I find it compelling listening.
Vocally i hear flashbacks to such vocals as far back as Lene Lovitch and Hazel O'Connor,(Applause).
Fashion is a pure Madonna 'Holiday' , Artpop is just the best track, Aura the second. The only track I avoid is 'Jewels and Drugs', just not my thing.
Genius or a complete loon I don't know! However it's better than most the squeaky dull pop that is around. Enjoy it, it's worth it.
on 23 August 2014
While I've always listened to Lady Gaga's tunes on the radio, I'd never felt compelled to buy any of her albums... until now.

I first heard Venus whilst listening to a streaming service and heard Applause a few times on the radio so I decided to check out some of the other songs on the album to see if they were any good. I instantly fell in love with Do What You Want, Aura and G.U.Y. The album was recently on special so I bought it. Since then, I've listened to the whole album multiples times, sometimes on repeat and love all, except Jewels N Drugs.

Overall, I can't fault this album. I think it really shows Lady Gaga is not just a musician who can make chart-topping hits but who can create art, whether it charts or not!
on 12 April 2015
This album took a long time to grow on me, at first I didn't really like any tracks and was disappointed but I'm glad I persevered with it. Some tunes are so catchy and I find myself randomly humming and quietly singing them ("Venus" being one!) There are one or two tracks that I still can't seem to get into, but that's not bad for an album with 15 tunes, and at the price I paid for it. The album is very well produced as one would expect and still sounds pretty 'fresh' considering it's 2 years old at time of writing.
ARTPOP is the third studio album by Lady Gaga, and was released in November 2013. Planning for the project goes way back to 2011 [shortly after the launch of her second studio album Born This Way]. The majority of the song writing and recording took place over 2012, and into 2013, after Gaga was forced to cancel her Born This Way Ball after breaking her hip. During her recovery from surgery Gaga became addicted to drugs, which helped her get relief from the pain of surgery and also to cope with her depression stemming from her forced sabbatical and other personal issues, so there is a bit of darkness in ARTPOP too.

Lady Gaga, and her long-time friend Paul "DJ White Shadow" Blair are the main writers and producers on the album. Other track producers and writers include Zedd Hugo, Leclercq, Nick Monson, Rick Rubin, Giorgio Tuinfort, Dino Zisis, Infected Mushroom, will.i.am, and David Guetta. The lyrical themes revolve around her personal views of fame, love, sex, feminism, self-empowerment, overcoming addiction, and reactions to media scrutiny.

_

I struggled to decide what rating to give ARTPOP; for me it isn't quite as strong as The Fame Monster (I class this as a separate album, rather then a expanded version of The Fame) or Born This Way, but is removing a star a bit too harsh for an album where I can say that I like 13 out of 15 tracks to verifying degrees? Plus this album does have more variation in music styles, so it does beat The Fame as far as I'm concerned, and the album sale figures show that the album is far from the flop that some like to call it.

In the end I felt as though a star had to go, for two reasons; Lady Gaga wrote and recorded ARTPOP during a period of stress and depression for her, so even the happier tracks have a heavy air hanging over them, which in turn can actually make me feel down too. Plus the experimental button has been pressed a few too many times for my tastes; there's no major influence for me to put my finger on after the first two tracks, and nothing that outright spoils the later tracks, but there is a mysterious something that niggles me.

_

At the end of the day ARTPOP does have solid tracks, with both some new directions such as pop-lite [Gypsy], dipping her toes into hip hop [Jewels N' Drugs], and R&B [Do What You Want], as well as the usual piano-lead ballad [Dope], and huge selection of classic ''Gaga'' electric pop energy and beats [everything else]. She has a good voice and is a strong song writer, so these creative extras are just unneeded all of the time as her work is very good and can stand up on it''s own without all of the bells and whistles.
on 31 December 2014
State of the art electropop and as accomplished as Roisin Murphy`s "Overpowered", La Roux`s debut or Empire of the Sun`s first album. I could`ve lived without the rap track but it`s a minor flaw in a remarkably assured piece of pop genius.
on 26 February 2014
Sorry but I don't know how to spell a loud excited screech from a pre-teen but that is what I got when my daughter opened her gift and saw this. It and her other Gaga cds haven't been off the CD player since Christmas.

The music is, as always catchy have even found myself singing along to a few from the album (though the continual play might have something to do with that - parents to the obsessive teen might understand my meaning on that one lol).
Wasn't too sure originally if should get it due to the possibility of dodgy content but I did my research on day of release and found that it had no swearing and nothing overly explicit or that could be classed as such in my opinion, but it is all in the way a person takes things.

It is pretty good and am pleased I got it as the most important thing is my daughter is happy, even if I do wake up humming Lady Gaga tunes
on 15 November 2015
Its a ok album but i wouldn't play it that much preffered her album before this. Some of this just sounds awful. And some of the songs are just plan rude and about sex, prostitution and what you expect its lady gaga
on 28 April 2014
Her best album yet. It made me just want to get up and dance! This album is for fans of 80's electro pop, Madonna and anyone who likes things just a little different and lady gaga sure is that. Each song is great so you won't feel the need to skip those boring tracks which you sometimes get on great albums. well done gaga.
on 19 May 2014
Absolutely love this album!

Since Gaga released The Fame back in 2008 it seems that she has slightly returned to that era with Artpop as this album has a mixture of classy Pop tunes as well as some other Genres keeping her album new and refreshing. Coming in two parts also like The Fame it makes it more enjoyable that it all doesn't end here and end up like another Born This Way. (Although Born This Way in my opinion was good i can see what people meant with it comparing it to both Fames & Artpop)

Overall i own a Digital Version & CD copy! The DVD is superb! I love watching her performances and was/is a great buy!
on 22 January 2014
While there certainly are some nice tunes, I think the main problem with this album and Lady Gaga's current stage in general is that she no longer has full control of her creative process and she's being pushed to manufacturing some musically appalling universal love/self-acceptance/etc. tunes which, obviously enough, can appeal to no-one else apart from a few die-hard fans.
Up to a point, since pop music is not meant to be taken seriously after all, this - as Born This Way goes to show - doesn't necessarily represent a problem. Of course, it becomes a problem when songs are musically unclear, lyrically patronising, and lack the sense of fun, introspection, wit and humour that Lady Gaga has always managed to bring into her music. While Donatella, Mary Jane Holland and Swine are highly enjoyable, tracks like Aura or Venus transmit only a sense of misunderstanding and a poker face. Then again, I was utterly surprised and upset about the fact that Lady Gaga hasn't practically displayed her wonderful vocal and piano abilities on none of the songs.
Considering the fact that, as some other reviewers have suggested, she cannot go back or disappear from the spotlight for a while to get things clear and focus on music only, I definitely hope that she can leave those love, acceptance, live for today, etc. messages for a while and just compose a few light-hearted (which often come to contain a deeper and less pretentious message) tunes with good lyrics. Do not get me wrong, I enjoy good experimental music such as Einstürzende Neubauten or Swans, but you cannot expect to call an unfinished, pretentious, patronising, musically and lyrically unclear, and overproduced record a challenging and experimental release, especially when it comes from a great pop artist who can do it 10 times better.