on 27 November 2013
I have previously read both of the St Marys books and enjoyed the premise so much that I couldn't resist having a read through this short story. Jodi Taylor's love of history has come through all of her novels and while the character development in the other books is much stronger, that is clearly down to the length of the work. I think you would need to have read the other St Mary's books in order to understand the background but it is well worth picking up after that while you're waiting for the next book.

Max has a clear voice in this story and stays true to character. The story takes off quickly and that pace continues throughout. I like the references back to the other stories particularly because it led to this feeling like a full story in its own right and not just filler. Don't get me wrong, it is short and I got to the end and wished for more but I didn't feel cheated either. I think Jodi has struck a delicate balance between clearly identifying it as a short story but not making so short that the reader is left unimpressed. The writing quality comes through and I will definitely be waiting for more!
on 21 November 2014
Another fabulous story from Jodi Taylor. Very short, but manages to incorporate all the elements from her long books - fun, danger, surprise and as usual showing the most incredible knowledge of history - and teaching it to us in such a memorable way.
No, this is not THE Child being born - but I won't go into detail , you will just have to read it for yourself.
Suffice it to say, it has all our favourite characters in it, (with the exception of The Chief). I have only recently found the Chronicles of St Mary's and have read them all in rapid succession. From reading other reviews, it seems that this came out between Books 2 and 3, but the fact that I have read all the 4 currently out (frantically awaiting no. 5), didn't make any difference to the enjoyment of this book.
As I have said before READ IT.
on 24 November 2016
A very short, short story. Regardless of this and in normal Jodi Taylor fashion it's still " a little belter ".

As usual Max and her small band of helpers manage to bring mayhem to what should have been a relatively simple expedition.

If I say it's Christmas day, it involves a birth in a thatched building complete with animals and three men bearing gifts you will I am sure jump to the wrong conclusion. Remember this is St. Mary's. Will say no more just read the book and enjoy it as much as I have.

How does Jodi Taylor keep doing it and long may she continue to do so.
on 30 December 2015
I love the Chronicles of St Mary's books. I downloaded this ages ago intending to read it round Christmas time. Read alone from the other books it's probably a bit too confusing but as part of the St Mary's books it fits perfectly! The story just shows how things turn out for the best when it seems like you have messed up and how kindness and caring wins over following the rules. Made me want to go back and re-read the St Mary's books all over again!
on 16 January 2016
This series is a child of Dr Who and Harry Harrison's Technicolor Time Machine - full of humour, drama, sex, and adventure - but has its own unique qualities of plot and character (loads of character!). Suitable for anyone (if you don't mind your kids reading the odd - not too odd - sex scene), but probably be most appreciated by the Young-Adult-and-Older readership. I'm 65 and I have enjoyed it immensely so far! Well written, and you really end up caring for the daft crew at St. Mary's. Strongly recommended!
on 1 December 2013
What can I say? Another short addition to the St Mary's chronicle, written in the same irrefutable style. Humorous interplay between the main characters which is a rich thread throughout the chronicles and a real strength combined with the inventiveness of the plot and the narrative. This is a short story to whet the appetite for the next instalment.
on 20 December 2013
As usual Jodi Taylor has done it. It was a great short story. And I was discussing the History with my husband during 1066 and Henry III and Simon de Montfort etc. Very interesting. In the middle of the story it made me jump a bit and I had to go back a page or two because when she was talking about the woodcutter being helped, she said "Hanging between Peterson and Farrell(!), the woodcutter made a small noise." I thought what Farrell (My favourite)! Is he in this story as well? Well of course, it should have been between Peterson and Markham. Hey who cares! I thoroughly enjoyed it and cant wait for the third big one!
on 29 March 2016
This short story is a typical St Mary's tale with Max and her fellow historians stumbling into a situation and managing it in their usual way ... amusingly written by Jodi Taylor in her usual splendid style. It was very short but an enjoyable little seasonal literary titbit, best read after reading her full novels to fully appreciate!
on 14 December 2013
My only " gripe " is that this is a short story and not the long (it seems!) awaited third novel! That said, this is a lovely story, not THE nativity.... and Jodi Taylor has renewed my interest in history!
Well worth a read, and if you haven't already caught the Jodi bug, do read for her two novels already published and you will surely be on tenterhooks awaiting the publishing of the third.
on 18 January 2016
What can I say. Another brilliant short but sweet story from Max and her team. So what if the purpose of this 'jump' was missed Dr Baistow, the Team were, as usual, compassionate to the end and yes, all for a very good reason. This was a quick little read, but up there with all the other stories from St Mary's. Keep them coming please.