on 9 September 2014
A great book that you just don't want to put down until you get to the end, a cliché I know, but that's the best way to describe this book. From the start you should brace yourself though, for the reader is thrown straight into the unpleasant murder scene, as told through the account of the victim's mother. From that point on I found myself heavily invested in the book, wanting to put the book down at times to take a breather, but the writing is so good and the tension so palpable, all I could do was to keep reading. This certainly isn't a light read, it's emotionally draining, but the way Staincliffe handled the subject matter is admirable and so believable that by the end you feel like you've been through the loss, grief, anger and finally, acceptance, yourself. A truly wonderful book, that though not fluffy, will certainly keep you enthralled to the end.
on 9 March 2016
I find it very difficult to believe its fiction! Cath Staincliffe writes with such cutting clarity, you feel every ragged breath and thump of the characters heart. It is absolutely one of the most "unputdownable" books i have read in a very long time, I devoured it in less than 4 hours. with the view to read it again.
Absolutely breath taking. If you want to know what must go on in the mind of the loved ones of a murder victim... just read this book.
Will be searching out other titles by this author without doubt!
on 20 April 2014
Another brilliant read from Cath Staincliffe. I've read it in less than a day despite this being Easter Sunday with loads of family goings on. What a fantastic and terribly believable story. So well told and written. I'm not going to give anything away but urge you to read this. Incidentally I could see this throughout as a great television series.
on 21 July 2014
Loved this, felt so real, so intimate. A wonderful twist in the middle, and a great ploy of telling a crime and its resolution through the eyes of the grieving. I don't think it's possible to tell a story with such reality, and feeling without having actually experienced it yourself. Cath Staincliffe is turning Into a wonderful thoughtful and skilful writer. I love that she keeps the stories so plausible. This could happen down my road in my family! magnificent understanding of all the characters. buying my next one immediately
on 19 July 2016
This title is part case study part crime thriller and I absolutely loved it. It's engaging, thrilling and covers one of the most difficult and sadly common subjects of the day. I highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys learning about first-hand accounts of violent crime and death and the effects it has on the family and friends of the deceased. I will definitely be looking out for further stand-alone's from Cath.
on 30 November 2015
'Stunning', as Ann Cleeves is quoted as saying on the front cover, is the only word for this. It begins with an intensity that is exhausting, so well drawn into the mother, Ruth's mind are we that I could not read more than a few chapters at one sitting. The depiction of the corrosive effects of hatred, alongside the daily drag of bed-wet sheets and a bitchy workmate is powerful and convincing, as is the different directions horror takes.
on 10 December 2014
I love Cath Staincliffe and this is up there with her best.
RuList

17 th Sutton is a grandmother. She is also writing letters to the man she hates most the man she believes killed her daughter.
The hatred and grief jump off the page, and this makes the character more believable and you feel for her as she wrestles with the main question; can she fully forgive him.
I couldn't put it down, its wonderful. You should go out right now and buy it!
on 18 November 2014
So, so good.....Cath Staincliffe is brilliant at characterisation. This story was absolutely harrowing and Ms Staincliffe portrayed the raw human emotion of the main characters to perfection. It's hard to say that I actually enjoyed the book - what a sad subject! But, I did enjoy it. The courtroom chapters were exciting and, dare I say it, thrilling. I found myself urging and applauding the prosecuting Counsel for his efforts. Highly recommended, especially if you enjoy an personal emotional roller-coaster ride.
on 25 March 2016
This is exactly as the title says. A series of letters detailing a mothers anger to her daughters killer. Interesting in parts - not overly gripping but I enjoyed it.
on 8 June 2014
I have read all of Cath Staincliffes stand alone novels and they have all been great and this one is no exception. She is just a brilliant storyteller and no matter how hard the subject matter is she draws you in and doesn't let you go. Fantastic, just sorry I have finished it.