on 3 December 2017
This is the first of the Carpathian series that doesn't involve Carpathian male and human female. Both leads are Carpathian so there is no having to explain the world of the human and no need to convert. Takes place approximately 50 years after the first book and finally Gregori gets the girl. There were a couple of things that didn't ring true to me (hence the 4 stars rather than 5 for books 1 to 3). Firstly knowing how protective the Carpathian males are of their females and also of the secrecy of their species, would MIkhail really let his daughter be in the public eye as a famous magician showing off her abilities as magic tricks. Second issue was that Savannah seemed to switch from not wanting to be bound to Gregori to being crazy about him in the blink of an eye!
I really wanted to love this book as Gregori is a brilliant character and I love him in the other books. Would give it 4.5 stars if I could as there were parts that were really good just a few parts which didn't quite work for me.
on 30 May 2014
I have been looking forward in reading Gregori's story and I was not disappointed. The love story between himself and Savannah is rocky to say the least! The way he took her the first time was disturbing but when you read the story further you understand why it happened that way. If you thought that the other Carpathian males were pre-historic then Gregori takes the biscuit! He never allowed yes allowed Savannah to do anything he did not want her to do. There were times in this book that I wanted to strangle him!

In this book we are given an insight into Gregori's character. He is a tortured soul being the one of the eldest, and known as the dark one ,the destroyer he felt that he did not deserved to be loved and he thought that he was a monster being the most powerful he also struggled with the fact that he felt that Savannah was not his true life mate considering the way he made it so that she was bonded to him when she was in her mother's womb!

Savannah was able to break him down no easy feat and succeeded in allowing him to love him self and her fully. I am glad that he did not change his ways completely.

I also liked the human Gary's character the way he was able to bring out the humour in Gregori was sweet since Gregori had lost the ability to feel happiness or be funny since he had been lifeless for a long time.

Again there were some phrases that kept on being repeated if I see the word 'velvet sheath ' I am going to scream!!!!!

I liked Gregori in the previous books I love him more now.
on 13 March 2012
This book was frustrating - I loved the first two books in the series (Dark Prince, Dark Desire) but Dark Magic didn't work at all. It was very repetitive, with long passages in which the couple argue about the same petty issue back and forth for ages and nothing really happens. The heroine comes across as a total idiot, and the book feels highly unrealistic (even for paranormal romance!)

The main problem is that the first few books dealt with human heroines falling in love with supernatural heroes, and so of course the human heroines find lots of things difficult to understand/accept and the author had lots of fun with the conflict this created. However, in this book, a supernatural woman falls for a supernatural guy - but the author seems to forget this and recycles a load of the material from the first few books. So the heroine doesn't seem to know the most obvious and basic things about her own culture and has random problem with it all, but it's not clear why. We're told vaguely that her mother tried to raise her with human values - but given that her father is the leader of the supernatural people, you would think she'd have picked up a thing or two.

The book becomes really dull, so the author tries to spice it up with lots of sex scenes and (yet another) evil vampire stalking the couple. But because the couple are dull, the reader just finds it all a bit hard to care about. I struggled to finish the book it became so boring.

A shame.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 30 November 2009
I am reading the entire series in sequance (including short stories) for the second time and I have been looking forward to Gregori's story, Dark Magic for some time.

I love Gregori, he is by far my favorite Carpathian Male and funnily enough all the others that attract me turn out to be his brothers!!! (with the exception of Jacques)

However, second time round I found this to be a story of two halves. And I much preferred the first half as Gregori and Savannah struggle to find the balance of thier relationship. I was hooked to Gregori's sorrow at believing he had unfairly manipulated fate to become Savannah's lifemate. It was endeering and humbling and only made me love him more.

Gary Jansen makes his first appearance in this book too and forges the most unlikely freindship with Gregori, the dark one - when you get to Dark Celebration, you find out just how much Gregori cares for this man. The interplay between the couples and Gary is fun and entertaining, and it's good to see such a strong Carpathian couple rely on a mere mortal.

The second half of the book is, for me, all violence and doom and gloom and I found it took me longer to read through having already read it and knowing what was about to happen. But with Gregori, more so than any other character, including Mikhail, we see him lots more in many of the following stories, so when I finished this book it wasn't like I was saying goodbye.

Savannah is great and just like Raven, but with a stronger sense of fun, and she compliments Gregori perfectly. My favorite scene in the book is where the two of them come together in the courtyard in the midst of a storm.

I am giving this five stars because I absolutely adore Gregori! The story however was a little disapointing.
on 14 January 2010
Mack's Military unit are more than just soldiers because they all grew up together on the streets, they're his family and he takes any threat to them and to Jaimie in particular - personally.
As Characters Jaimie and Mack are a good believable pairing. Despite being a genetically altered super soldier who scares the pants of everyone else, Mack's a complete spanner when it comes to Jaimie, He mopes after her cave man style, she just gives in and does whatever he wants despite saying no lot, I'm sure psychologists would have a field day with her.
Admittedly, I bought Street Game with a little trepidation since I found that the stories had been going a little down hill since Conspiracy Game. Indeed I was very disappointed with Murder Game.
I was pleasantly surprised that much of the earlier momentum was regained in Street Game, established characters are brought into the action and their roles slot into the jigsaw, great for the reader, because we know who most of them are, even when the characters don't. There was a lot of background information revealed that begins to tie the threads of all the stories together.
It's a long story but it is pacey enough with the characters dug in and under constant threat of an expected attack, that the story ticks over without ever causing you to skip bits and the resulting climax is a good one.
If the next novel is as good as this one the series should be ok for a good while yet.
on 13 August 2015
Whoever wrote the reviews nearly put me off buying this book and I had been so enjoying them however I thought I'd at least give it a go it had to have some angle
Really good I trusted my INSTINCTS
I loved it these books are widening out the story not running out of steam Anyone with good imagination and a real understanding of Christine's books should recognise this Just started reading Samuri again bad reviews why ???? Brilliant as always
on 7 September 2010
This is the 4th in the Dark series and my feelings for this one are much the same as the rest. Its Ok. I quite enjoyed it but i don't see myself reading it again. I looked forward to Gregori's story from book 1 - it was what i expected and was pretty good. The relationship between Savannah and gregori is quite interesting and i liked the plot but as a whole the series doesn't quite do it for me.

I like the series and will keep reading (because i bought loads in one go) but it doesn't compare to a jr ward or kresley cole in terms of a gripping story. Christine feehan's leopard people series is better so far.

Despite this i think it is a worthwhile read and going by the other reviews many love it.
on 23 August 2015
I was really looking forwarding to reading Maryanne's story. There was a slight change in this book, for one the lead female wasn't 100% against the carpathian which makes a nice change and two the dynamic felt different, but again I absolutely loved it and I find that strange that a writer can keep me hooked 18 books in.
Obviously fantastic writer with a fantastic imagination.
I'm moving straight on to the next one
on 31 January 2018
this book was as usual up to Christines' normal standard. It is great to be taken into another world of fantasy. I may be 59 years of age but as always her books are fantastic and I would recommend them to anyone. In actual fact my daughters are into them as well.
on 25 March 2018
I love this collection of books the storylines are fantastic and well written and I love how they interconnect.