Customer reviews

Price:£6.47

on 30 July 2017
Brilliant
on 31 July 2014
Second read from Lucie Whitehouse a story which had me hooked a little slow to start but the story takes you on a believable journey of twist a and turns which keeps the pages turning, recommend as a good holiday read.
on 12 September 2014
This was an extremely frustrating book to read. It took over a hundred pages to get to what we knew from the blurb. All the time it felt like going one step forwards and, just as it looked as though we were finally getting on with the story, we then went 3 steps back. As each character was introduced we had to have loads of re-caps of previous anecdotes - sometimes necessary, I grant, but this was ad nauseam. It even went further than the characters. At one point Hannah, the bland 'heroine,' pulled out the sofa to hoover behind it. Not only did we get her reminiscing about where they'd purchased said sofa, but also the whole of hers and her husband's first conversation they had when they sat on it! Oh for goodness sake! Get on with it!

Hannah herself was as faceless and pathetic as the second Mrs DeWinter but without being surrounded by characters such as the multi-faceted Mrs Danvers or the beautiful setting of Manderley. In fact, the male characters were all, apart from David, given one syllable names - Dan, Mark, Nick, Tom, Ant - and it was difficult to remember who was who. There was also mentioned in passing a Leo and, in the final pages, a Leon. Took me a while to realise they were different people. I didn't really care what happened to Hannah - she just kept going round in circles refusing to see what was in front of her.

I won't bother with this author again. I hate books that seem promising, but never seem to get going. I only finished it because it was relatively short.
on 12 July 2014
Forgettable, predictable and no rival to Gone Girl.
on 25 June 2015
I won't bother to reiterate the plot as if you read other reviews you will pretty much grasp the gist of the story. I haven't read anything by Lucie Whitehouse before so unable to compare to other books by her. The 'plot' has been told many times before in various guises but it kept me guessing for quite a long way in before I finally figured out what was going on. I am a bit OCD and was niggled by several typo or grammatical errors - but that's just me! It was fairly well written and I would recommend this book if you are looking for an easy, uncomplicated read.
on 23 June 2014
Over formulaic and not that well written. Not a patch on Gone Girl.
One dimensional characters and a total lack of depth to plot.
on 8 October 2014
I loved this book. It kept me reading to the end which is all I expect from a holiday read.
I was drawn into this storyline right away and really enjoyed it.

In my opinion it is not a page turner but it is a really good read that keeps your interest and well worth the 99p that I paid for it.

Will read more from this author and can thoroughly recommend.
on 11 July 2015
Didn't finish it. Poorly written. Tedious main character. Too much boring information about their past experiences. I wasn't even interested enough to find out whether the husband actually came back. Liked the front cover design.
on 3 April 2017
I was recommended this book and at first couldn't really understand why, there didn't seem to be a hock, I wasn't sympathetic to the lead character, the story just seemed to plod along, but without realising it I had become invested in the life of the character, I cared what happened to her, I needed resolution and it gradually became apparent that all was not as it seemed. Not a tense thriller but much more than just a wronged woman. Really enjoyed it and a new author to add to my list.