on 3 September 2015
This is a thriller that just had to be written. All of the elements are known to us; a Middle Eastern theatre boiling over with hatred for the West in general, and the US in particular. Al Qaeda primed ready to attack using whatever weaponry is available. The US embroiled in political in-fighting in DC and their allies across the seas battling an economic downturn. Africa had its own problem with the Ebola virus which was well covered in the media. No-one who reads this book will wonder what these elements mean; we've lived with them for several years. Murray McDonald has imagined a scenario that is horrifying, yet totally plausible. To reveal much more will spoil future readers enjoyment. Safe to say, they will be absorbed and gathered up in the urgent pace of the action as it unfolds around the globe. A cleverly crafted story-line which keeps you guessing until the final pages.
on 8 April 2015
I loved this story. I buy fiction to be entertained; to be thrilled and intrigued, to be mystified, shocked and kept guessing. It did all of these things and also had the annoying ability to prevent me from putting the book down, causing me to still be reading it halfway through the night.
Murray Mcdonald has just gained a new reader and I already have another of his titles in my reading queuing list!
4 people found this helpful
on 6 October 2015
Absolutely brilliant read. Not read Murray McDonalds books before but will be looking for more in the future. Very fast paced and action packed story, the plot is great and keeps you on your toes from start to finish. It was one of those books that kept me awake into the early hours not wanting to put it down. The story revolves around a fantastic well thought plot to destroy the USA, both its people and its government but in this case the plotter is an American agent trusted at the highest levels and also one of the countries highest trained agents. The world wide hunt to find him before he brings together all the forces needed to destroy the USA involves every agency and military force around the world and also his girlfriend who he betrayed. Plenty of twists and turns bringing you to a fantastic climax.
on 27 January 2016
I like page turners and this was one. Despite the American spelling, grammar and idiom it crossed the Atlantic reasonably well as there were not too many mystifying cultural references but the acronyms were still tricky to assimilate. I still don't understand why the USA has competing Secret Services however!
Some of the copy editing was faulty as there were word orders and missing words still to sort out.
For a first time read of this author, mostly well done except that unfortunately the ending was obvious from early in the book, which made a lot of the plot superfluous.
on 9 September 2015
Wow a great thriller that wastes no time in useless dialogue. Almost possible and almost believable making it quite scary. No wasted words, this story moves at a great pace with an unexpected ending. If you like a good thriller then I would recommend this book for pure escapism enjoyment.
on 21 March 2015
Well written, moved along at a pace and hooked me into sitting up at night (the just one more chapter thing)
Completely unbelievable plot and I worked out the twist at the end from a very early stage but still worth giving it a go, maybe as an escapist holiday read.
on 1 September 2015
I read this book in 3 lengthy sitting but if I had time, I would have gone through it in one. I hated having to put it down. The plot was well thought out and included a lot of detail with plenty of action thrown in. The storyline also took a few unexpected turns which, rather than causing confusion like some novels I've read, only added to its appeal. I would highly recommend this to any action fan who loves a story where the hero saves the day.
on 12 September 2015
Absolutely brilliant. I couldn`t put it down.
I think I could honestly say it`s the best novel I have read in years - and I have read a lot ....
on 12 September 2015
Excellent story, full of twists and turns right from page one, to the last page. Murray McDonald is an exceptional writer of exciting adventure stories and this is one of the best.
on 4 September 2015
What a fantastic book! I am a great fan and have read quite a few of Mr McDonald's books and thoroughly enjoyed them. This one is a definite must read.