on 12 July 2014
BADLY in need of the services of a good proof reader. In fact, my 7 year old could probably pick up on the many MANY mistakes in the spelling and grammar in this novel. Admittedly I am only just over halfway through, and although the story itself has been enough to keep me picking it up again, I am appalled at the basic school-boy errors evident in this narrative. For instance, 'passed' where it should be 'past', and the dreaded 'should of' instead of 'should have'. This is something that is just unacceptable in an author who should have at least a basic grasp of English - in fact at some points I wondered if this was someone writing a novel with English as a second language, because the sentences are clunky, and poorly constructed many times. Sometimes a sentence even needs to be read twice in order for it to make sense, and there are multiple times when the same word is used several times in one short phrase.
It just makes for a confusing and frustrating read.
I agree with the other reviews that said this author had swallowed a thesaurus - why settle on one word when twenty will do?
Sometimes, simpler IS better Mr Whittington!
Actually, it's a shame because the story is decent (so far) and I want to read on but I am becoming irritated at the mistakes evident throughout.
Mr Whittington PLEASE hire a good proof reader to edit your next offering.
on 13 April 2015
Yes and no, the author himself states that there's nothing new that he has added to the genre. But... the characters are more gritty and real and he manages to keep the mystery throughout the story. That being said, I do have a few gripes:
1. It's slightly hard to believe that one character can travel from one end of the country to the other virtually without incident but suddenly can't travel from one village to another, less than a mile without being attacked at every turn.
2. Knives as primary weapons?? Where are the baseball bats, cricket bats and pick-axe handles?? More effective than knives.
And 3. This story suffers from the same overriding problem that 99% of all zombie stories suffer from . Biologically speaking zombies are impossible. Without a functional circulatory and nervous system bodies can't move - the first to supply fuel to the muscles the second to send control impulses to said muscles. One of the first things to degrade in a corpse is the myelin sheath the insulation around the nerves and of course there is the billions of symbiotic bacteria in our guts that are essential for digestion.
Zombies are a creation of the supernatural, and without that element any story suffers...
One last thing, no virus is 100% infectious or fatal. Natural does not permit perfection even if it's created by the hand of man....
on 21 May 2017
I'll start with the caveat that I paid nothing for this book, so all I've lost is the time I spent reading it. That was painful enough but I hate to leave a book unfinished.

My biggest problem with the book was the quality (or lack thereof) of the writing. Bad grammar, poor structure of sentences and paragraphs and some ridiculous contradictions. At one point the author described the "snatcher" as fast to then immediately follow with an adjective for slow.

Also, the characters are insipid, irritating and two-dimensional. The pace of the story moves too quickly for us to develop any serious interest in them.

I could go on, but I have many better ways to spend my time. I hated this book so I recommend you try another. Good luck!
on 21 July 2014
not the best nook I ever read, but not the worst either. The author has a tendency to over think a plot and a character, goes into unnecessary depth on some areas and skips over more important ones, the story was quite good but not good enough for me to want to buy the series. Maybe if he cut down on the extremely BIG words, i read a lot, i'm fairly intelligent but i had to look up some of them just to be sure they meant what i thought. As a Zombie novel it's okay but it's a typical cliffhanger to make you buy the others, personally, I hate being held to ransom by an author.
on 17 March 2014
I easily took the plunge on this because it was free and wondered if I would be as negative as some of the reviewers.

Happily I enjoyed it - I live in the Midlands and whilst no expert on Cannock and surrounds I have visited Cannock, Stafford, Hednesford and done a 25 mile march through what was called the Stafford Triangle whilst in the TA.

It would be easy to pick fault with the authors imaginative use of English but I decided to see through it and concentrate on the story - which I found to be entertaining, so much so that I bought the 2nd part and am looking fwd to the third.
on 14 September 2014
I struggled through 2/3 of this book because the plot was quite original. It actually described a zombie apocalypse where the vast bulk of the population were barricaded into their homes rather than roaming the streets in herds. The story follows several groups of people a s they converge on one spot. The author seems to have made great use of a thesaurus, sadly resulting in an unreadable book. One might read someone's mind, or even their thoughts, but not their intellect. One might tramp through long grass, but not trounce through it.
on 22 April 2014
To open, there is a good story in here, then again I do enjoy a apocalyptic tale, and this one is passably good. True, there isn't too much that we haven't seen before, but it doesn't descend into cliche too often and actually some of the characters are quite interesting, some you like and some you don't, at least initially and until you get to know them.

Unfortunately it is difficult to get past the terrible grammar and poor use of English. Words are used that mean something entirely different to those that were intended (Beleaguered instead of Bewildered, for example), sentence structure that is actually quite jarring, and a lot of redundancies.

Overall this could be a good read, but there is certainly room for improvement. Hopefully Mr. Whittington will take the constructive criticism on board, not be too disheartened by it, and will hone his craft in future.
on 14 April 2014
I did enjoy the fact that this book is set in the UK and was written with the british train of thought. Unlike when US authors write a UK themed book. The characters were great, but some parts where revisited when there was no need to do so. I'm glad the descriptions of the snatchers were light as it allowed my our mind to form an idea of what they looked like. I'm looking forward to the next book, but pray it is the last, as sequels tend to get worse rather than better.
on 5 March 2016
One of the best series I have read in a while, I love the main characters. If you want a cracking good read then I suggest you start getting this series NOW...... Great work Shaun Whittington, you are amongst my fav authors of all times and as I have told you before chop chop young man get writing and finish the next book in this series.....pretty please :)
on 21 June 2017
A wonderful read - Shaun Whittington provides us a super storyline with a terrific plot and great characters. Written with great assurance and aplomb. Highly recommended.
*** 5 ***