Customer reviews

on 21 December 2013
A well written interesting book with plenty of up to date information supplied. Useful as a guide book for anyone wishing to
anyone wishing to undertake their own journey
on 26 November 2013
I cant quite put my finger on it but this book didnt quite grab me the way other travel books have. I did find it a bit repetitive , " We got up, had a baguette, got on our bikes, stopped for lunch, etc" I did wonder how they booked their hotels ? Was this trip all planned on line or by phone first ? Maybe I missed that bit at the start of the book ? As I said, I had struggled to finish this and admit to skipping the last few pages.
on 13 November 2013
In this, his second book about cycling in France (see here for book one baguettes and bicycles: a cycling adventure across France (Eurovelo Series: Book 1) ) , Steven and his bike Craig are joined by his wife Cathie and her bike named Jenny. Their journey starts in Arcachon on the Atlantic coast and they cycle to the Mediterranean following the canals and waterways, eating and staying in out of the way villages. You can tell from his writing that having Cathie with him made a great trip even better and he certainly got lost far fewer times with her in charge of the directions to the B&B's. Once they completed their journey they took a car to the Pyrenees where Cathie sensibly let Steven do a spot of col climbing on a hired bike. He is keen to reinforce his belief that cycling up mountains isn't about testosterone and thigh muscles it's about taking the time to see the scenery, a very sensible attitude.

There is plenty of good food chatter, humour (did I mention he talks to his bike?) and practical information included too. I spent a few happy days in this reasonably priced book and I hope Steven and Cathie come back to France again soon.

This book would be great for the armchair traveller and food lover, but will also leave the amateur cyclist thinking about stretching their lycra and having a real cycling adventure. I've got my map out already.

I was sent a copy of this book by the author.
on 2 September 2015
In order of importance, or so it seemed sometimes, Steven and Cathie followed the famous canals and waterways of France, which always makes for interesting and relaxing riding. Devoid of traffic and industrial fumes, they offered the cyclist a taste of hidden France. Something English motorists don't easily find. As usual, Steven's observations are generously interspersed with daily menus of their lunch tea and dinner. For a Foodie, it must have been inspirational. However, stopping for cake, just after a massive breakfast...; three course lunches followed by three course dinners. Recently riding the length of Poland, in 36 degrees centigrade, I could only manage several bottles of coca cola, until dinner. Cheaper too. The beautiful Canal Du Midi has its disadvantages though, and with massive tractor wheels, there is no problem.
Steven's overpersonification of their bikes, Craig and Jenny, reached laughable proportions and will only get worse, if he insists on chatting to 'It', unless they lock him away for writing too many children's books.
on 2 February 2014
I really enjoyed being transported back to one of my favourite countries, France and the author makes you feel you are there. He and his wife embark upon a cycle ride in the Bordeaux region, stopping at various B and Bs along the way and rating these, along with various meals they eat. It is a gentle and humorous book and I look forward to his next adventure!
on 28 December 2013
The second of two cycling adventures in France this volume includes some pass storming, which the auther loves
but also deals with a tour along cycle paths and canal banks. It's also a description of a tour through the
outstanding cuisine of the region , beter even than the travels of Tom Vernon.
on 15 December 2015
Love the relaxed style of these books, really well written and I cant put them down once I start!
on 30 November 2015
What an average writer! Some spelling mistakes; French mistakes all over the place, and attempts at humour are pathetic.Despite being a cyclist and a francophile i have given up on this one!
on 18 March 2014
Steven has an entertaining writing style and his books should appeal to cyclists of all types. Not only are they well written, they are well edited too. I will be looking out for more.
on 12 March 2015
As I am planning on riding St Malo - Nice this summer, I found it an interesting and informative book. Well written and the second of his I have read.
Easy reading.