Format: Blu-ray|Change

on 29 April 2014
The original camera negative of DEAD OF NIGHT perished in a fire 60 years ago and so available prints have been very poor over the years. The restoration here is therefore all the more remarkable and the picture quality is outstanding compared to previous releases. The only negative is the very poor sound quality which frankly renders some dialogue inaudible. My old videotape recorded from TV 20 years ago is much better so I can't understand why this has happened. Possibly the soundtrack has deteriorated even more than the image? The film is a classic and a must-see for anyone interested in the genre. It is the finest 'ghost story' omibus on celluloid.
1010 Comments| 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 January 2016
An architect is called to renovate an old country house. Upon arriving he meets a group of people who seem strangely familiar to him. They each have a supernatural tale to tell. He has a strange feeling he has experienced all this before and he has a feeling that something awful is about to happen.... This is a horror movie that is very scary. The tale with the mad ventriloquist is my favorite. I recommend this to all horror movie fans.
on 25 December 2015
An architect is assigned to renovate a country estate. When he arrives, he meets a group of guests. He is certain that he has seen them before, as characters of his dream/nightmare. They all have a supernatural tale to tell and it is not long until something very bad happens.... This is a very good chiller. My favorite is the story about the mad ventriloquist. Great stuff.
on 7 March 2010
This has to be one of my fav horror and i was so happy to see it on DVD i hav'nt seen it for years.As anybody who has'nt seen it before i would have wanted to know the zest of the story.It has to be one of the best films to come out of ealing studios and still scares me today that pretty good for a film that so old.I love this film because it has 5 story all about each charter in the film and this was way before amicus that are classics too.Hope other people have as much enjoyment out of this film as i did.
on 26 April 2017
Another classic from the 1940's.
on 24 May 2017
excellent
on 16 May 2017
excellent
VINE VOICEon 15 September 2007
I've seen this classic film almost every time it's been shown on TV for the last 30 years, and it's great to be able to have a permanent copy for one's DVD library. Perhaps because the TV prints have always been poor, I'm not so bothered about the print quality as others seem to be (although the sound is rough in places). Sure, this deserves to have the full restoration business done, but that is very expensive, and I've been disappointed in the past with some American issues of classic films (NTSC to PAL conversion?) so I haven't tried that avenue. Yet.

To the film itself. I am concerned that younger viewers coming new to this film may have unreasonable expectations; it has dated certainly, having a very middle-class 30's/40's Englishness about it that may put some viewers off straight away. This of course would be a terrible shame. Ealing Studios themselves did it no favours by having as a poster (reproduced on the DVD box) a depiction of some weird monster- completely misleading as these are human, psychological, tales.

Over the years, I've asked people what their favourite of the five (six?) separate stories is. Although everyone remembers Michael Redgrave's fine performance with the ventriloquist's dummy, it is The Mirror which is remarked on more than you might expect. This is I think the deepest tale in terms of character development, and we really get drawn into the drama gradually unfolding. I've also always had a soft spot for the delightful Naunton/Wayne golf sequence, a gentle comedy in the middle of the film - giving us a breather before we get inexorably dragged towards that astonishing climax; as surreal as anything you will see in British cinema.

At its current preposterously low price I would snap this up. A better U.K. transfer may come along some day, but this will do in the meantime.

So go on, join Mervyn Johns, and visit Pilgrim's Farm.

Again.
VINE VOICEon 26 November 2006
This film scared me as a teenager when I saw it on TV. Many years later it scared me again. Finally I have it on DVD and it can now scare me again whenever I want.

The film itself is stitched together like a quilt from a set of individual stories all of which show that horrow needs merely acting and writing, not CGI. I defy anyone to watch this and ever be comfortable with ventriloguist's dummies again;-)
on 24 May 2007
Great film but, as other reviewers have noted, this transfer is very poor. You will get a much better transfer if you buy the region 1 Dead of Night/The Queen of Spades double release available from amazon marketplace sellers or from amazon.com.