on 27 June 2017
Gordon Doherty delivers yet again, absolutely superb. If you like historical fiction this author is a must.
on 17 January 2015
Wonderful read!!! Full of great characters and a page turning storyline. Loved it!!! So good I bought the other two books in the trilogy after reading this one.
on 2 January 2016
great read
on 4 June 2017
This instalment of the Legionary series follows Pavo in a mission to Persia. The author has clearly researched the subject and provides a credible description of the politics and society of the time.
on 23 May 2017
Book 1 brilliant
Book 2 a bit unbelievable
Book 3 totally unbelievable
Even though it is fiction , has to be some realism
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 May 2014
Number three in the series and I am really looking forward to number four. The mysteries around our hero continue.
on 5 January 2015
Enjoyed it good series
on 30 April 2015
like his style
on 1 November 2013
I've been looking forward to this book so much - Legionary 1 and 2 have firmly cemented their places in my top 10 and I had my fingers crossed that Legionary 3 would do the same. Well...it has. It's an absolute gem.

Continuing on from Legionary 2, we have Pavo and chums tasked with a mission by Emperor Valens - and without giving anything away, I can definitely say it's a very intriguing mission and one that has lasting effects on every character, not least of which being Pavo himself. Certain elements from Pavo's past have been neatly threaded through the previous volumes and more steps are taken in book 3 - in fact, there's more insight in book 3 towards not just Pavo's past but certain other characters too.

Legionary 3 takes off in a different direction than the previous books - and it's a delight. I found that my preconceptions of "oh, this is going to happen" were completely wrong - there are some surprising and eye-opening moments along the way - and I think I can safely guarantee that you will get sucked in. You will not want to put this down...and you may get a bit emotional as well. Again, I don't want to give anything away but there was more than one occasion when I found myself getting a bit teary. And THAT is why I love Gordon Doherty's novels - you don't just read them...you get involved...you care about the characters, you're there with them every step of the way and when you finish the book, you'll look up and blink a few times, wondering what happened in the world whilst you were centuries away.

In short - buy this book. And if you haven't read the first two then buy those as well, settle down in comfort and step back into the past for a while. You won't regret it.
on 19 November 2013
I was quite lucky in a way because the release of this novel virtually coincided with me recently finishing the second book. Clearly having thoroughly enjoyed the first two in the series, I was looking forward to this one and wondered if Gordon could create another great story. Needless to say, he has, and in my humble opinion has gone a little bit further as well.

Pavo's last adventure found him in frost, snow and ice but in book three, he's under a searing hot sun and for a period of time, elsewhere but I won't say where so as not to spoil the story. Needless to say there are a few surprises along the way as well as a welcome return for some of the characters. With descriptive, easily imagined scenes, wonderful characters and a great story, you can't go wrong in reading this one.

If you enjoyed Gordon's previous novels, this is not to be missed and I think is probably the best in the series so far. If for some reason you haven't read any of Gordon's work but you like historical novels with excitement, adventure, accuracy and real authenticity, then look no further. Very highly recommended, a great read and thoroughly enjoyable.