on 7 May 2017
A mix of mystery with a hint of supernatural. I liked the story but it was too short. The two leads hop into bed with each other immediately, and I would have liked more character development and a bit more of a build up. And the beast of Bodmin doesn't develop into anything either. I loved the dog, the descriptions made me laugh. I have bought book two so I hope it's a bit longer and we learn a bit more about Tyack and Frayne.
on 26 April 2017
Throughly enjoyed this book, it had a really good plot, with a bit of spooky goings on, but would have liked more info regarding the "beast".
on 1 November 2013
This is a gorgeous story. It has so many strands. It's a romance, it's a thriller, it has elements of the supernatural but they never interfere with the plot, it has a lovely dog, it has a background of Cornwall, villages, scenery, mines, people. All this is packed into what is little more than a novella.
The writing, as we have come to expect from Harper Fox, is brilliant. She uses the English language bravely and carefully, her descriptions are sometimes lyrical, sometimes horrific, and always meaningful. Her grammar is impeccable and there are, a rarity today, no typos.
I have one complaint - which didn't detract from the star rating. This book was not long enough. (Bought and read for Hallowe'en; I started it in the evening and finished it the following morning.) I hope the author might consider a mini-series about the main characters and Cornish crime.
Buy and enjoy!
on 3 December 2013
Harper Fox is one of a handful of authors of this genre ( M/M fiction ) who actually is able to write and tell a story - that involves gay men - that is engaging, grips the imagination and pulls one in. Her writing isn't cliched and doesn't fall for the all too common trap of so many books of this genre, basically a series of multiple misunderstandings and orgasms (that leave nothing to the imagination). This is the fourth of her books that I have read and it did not disappoint. Definitely recommended.
A fantastic short story perfectly timed for Halloween.
As ever the location is a vivid part of the story, the scenery is as well drawn as the characters and all are as clear as if the book were a film.
I'm not going to spoil the story, but it is excellent, spooky without being over the top and unrealistic. The character's actions and reactions are logical and understandable.
on 20 December 2013
Harper Fox is one of my favourite authors for the very reasons I attribute 5 stars to this novella. Her writing is always correct and intelligent. I feel comfortable embarking on one of her books knowing it will be an entertaining, thoughtful read, that I will enjoy. Her writing, whether in a contemporary or 'period' story is always appropriately atmospheric and that is wonderfully illustrated in the Once Upon a Haunted Moor. The fogs, verbal textures, imagined sounds, ruins of tin mines, Cornish flora and fauna and the bleakness of Bodmin, invest this tale with life and shivers aplenty. Gideon, a real Cornish Copper and the intriguing Psychic Lee, are really sympathetic characters, they are real, tangible, I believed in them. By the end of this tale Gideon and Lee are at the beginning of a wonderful relationship with each other and the reader. The mystery of a little girl's disappearance has equal importance in the story as the relationship between the two men. This is a complete story, beautifully balanced and finished. A story to curl up with on a cold night with a hot drink.
on 16 December 2013
Another winner from this author. This story of a missing child in the remote moorlands is among Harper Fox's best. A good plot, well drawn characters and a terrific sense of place move this story along through the complex interpersonal relationships in an isolated village.
on 23 June 2014
I read this novel by the light of an oil lamp, with a large Scotch and Soda or two, or three (seltzer I believe our American cousins call it).
Oh yes, this is a story for Halloween and rates highly in my Harper Fox library. Bodmin Moor, a missing child, a lonely policeman, a psychic, mist, the Beast, the tin mines, the ancient stones of Cornwall......God I loved it.
"Once Upon A haunted Moor" is an M/M romance with a difference. It's not so much about the romance, although that features, but more about the beauty and mysteriousness that is Cornwall, the people, the landscape and the history.
Turn the lights down low, turn up the fire and reach for the Scotch before you start this story.
Spooky with a HEA.
on 17 March 2016
I put off reading this series despite it being recommended many times by blogs etc because it sounded like a stodgy and gloomy UK police procedural with lots of angst. Not so!! Harper Fox sets her series in an atmospheric ancient part of the UK and yes one of the main characters is a policeman but he is not Morse. Brilliantly written story and fantastic complex characters with lots of happy m/m romance as well.
on 9 August 2014
The first book I have read by Harper Fox, and I only bought it because I was in Cornwall at the time and know the area quite well. I was surprised to have a gay couple as the main focus in the book, but the way it was portrayed was excellent. I liked the book and would read more in the series.