on 25 April 2014
I chose this radio on its size and styling combined with excellent independent review for the sound quality (which is excellent).

This radio is good for our family as my sons have music on their phones which they can play through this radio using Bluetooth while my wife and I who are in our 40's prefer the old standard radio function of switching it on, auto tuning to a station and pressing the button again to make it search for another one if you want a change.

It is simple to use as there are very few buttons and the display shows the station you are listening too. We intend to use it as a radio alarm clock and it has that facility but we haven't used it yet.

Overall, extremely pleased with it. Truly excellent quality and build standard, excellent sound from a small device. I can't criticise it in any way. A relatively expensive purchase but I believe we will use it every day for maybe 20 years and every time we use it I will enjoy it, so great value really. If you are looking for a great radio, you can't go wrong with this one.
on 24 April 2014
Great sound quality, poor remote which is low in functionality and only useful when playing FM / DAB radio.

You may not get a remote, but the D2 is better value for money. No point shelling out extra for this D4 when you can get the same sound quality and functionality (including bluetooth) with the D2.
on 7 April 2014
Purchased as a replacement for an older Pure radio that was starting to look a little dated and worn.

The bluetooth functionality is what drew me to this unit in particular. It is very easy to connect a phone, tablet, laptop etc. and stream music straight to the radio. Once you connect a device, the unit automatically switches to the bluetooth input. Volume can be controlled from your connected device. Full marks in this department.

The interface on the radio is excellent. Very intuitive and straight forward. Easy to save and select preset stations.

Great design. Sleek lines, bright blue / white LED display, elegant matt black body with tactile knobs and buttons.

The reason this got four stars and not five is the remote control. The remote allows you to select preset stations and adjust the volume. You cannot switch between inputs or toggle through available digital radio stations. This radio is currently £50 more than the Evoke D2, and aside from an ever-so slightly larger speaker, the remote is all that you get extra. For the price, the inclusion of a remote control just wasn't worth it for me.

I returned the D4 and bought the D2 instead. I had the chance to do a side by side comparison, and the audio quality is comparable. Yes, the D4 gives a slightly bigger sound, but only slightly. Also, like the D4, the D2 automatically switches to the bluetooth input when a device is connected, which again makes the absence of a remote control less of an issue.

Excellent unit all told, just a shame more functionality wasn't incorporated into the remote control.
on 8 April 2015
This radio is good. I use it as a bedside clock/radio alarm and it looks and sounds great for that purpose. The most important feature for me which means I can really only ever use Pure radios and not Roberts or any other make is this: It has a tone alarm clock that will play through the speaker when the radio is playing through the headphones. This is very important for me as I normally have Radio 4 on the through the night on a pillow speaker and still need the alarm to wake me up for work. In the past I have had to use a separate radio and alarm clock which I admit is not the end of the world but this radio solves the problem neatly.
Also the bluetooth works really well for listening to podcasts etc and the oled display looks great.

What could be better? Well I would like the dab radio info to scroll with the time always visible instead of either/or at the moment and headphone socket on front not back would suit me.

All in all though if you like radio and listen to a lot of it, this is a great choice.
on 28 May 2016
Expected better. Build quality is not very good. Where the radio joins the case on the front of the radio is very poor. Reception in a good dab area is awful, if you touch the snooze handle it kills the signal instantly. Sound quality is pathetic. Wish I had not bought this radio.
review image
on 15 February 2016
I find this easily the most user friendly of the various DAB radios I have owned. While others have criticised the remote, it is absolutely fine if all you wish to do is use the radio as a radio and change channels and volume without touching the set itself. The only limitation to this is that you can't change between FM and DAB (or blue-tooth or auxiliary input) using the remote. And that matters for the simple reason that when you have decent reception for both, FM quite simply sounds loads better than DAB. That's no criticism of the Pure: just the limitations of DAB in the UK. So, what you do, if like me, you want the best sound quality, is to only use DAB to listen to services not available on FM: e.g., Radio 4 Extra, BBC World Service.

Ah, sound quality. A lot of folk rave about this set's audio performance, and by the standards of modern sets it is perfectly acceptable... but what needs to be noted is that sound quality can be a very personal affair. In addition to this set I also use a 12 year old Pure Evoke 1, and I find the DAB sound quality on this earlier model to be significantly better! I listen almost exclusively to speech and for this the sound on the D4 has a little too much bass and sounds more muffled than I would like... even on FM. What I find myself itching to use is a tone control: why have these once near-universal controls disappeared from modern sets? I reckon that the only reason I prefer the Evoke-1 to the D4 is that the non-adjustable tone on the 1 is better suited to speech than that on the D4.

The upshot of this and the limitations of DAB is that while these two are significantly better than the Roberts and Nevada DAB sets I also own, for clarity and depth neither set can compete with my 1971 ITT plastic tranny on FM. And with DAB I suspect no set ever will: but a tone control would transform my enjoyment of a device that works as well as I could wish to enjoy the stuff not available on FM without the faff of using FM senders with tablets/phones/pcs and classic radios...

This is a good set: and if you're habituated to the limitations of DAB and are perhaps more music oriented and bass-favouring than I, you might think it a very good set. But, like all it's rivals, what it needs more than anything else is a good old fashioned progressive tone control! Even better: get the BBC to broadcast everything on FM........
on 19 August 2015
Wanted a radio that I could put on top of high cabinet in kitchen and leave undisturbed, this has a remote control which means I can do just that.
Also it has Bluetooth which I use when I listen radio programmes from my IPad.
Sound quality is also brilliant, what more is there to say?
on 26 December 2015
Works exactly as advertised. It is intuiitive to use without resorting to the manual. It has a good sound quality. My only criticism is that when playing iphone through Bluetooth, the volume is far too soft
on 23 January 2016
Its amazing that electrical products sold in the UK today, for use in the UK, still don't come with a UK Mains adapter, a fact conveniently not mentioned on Amazon UK's web page for this product.
Contacted Amazon customer support who, with the minimum of fuss, gave me a part refund to cover the cost of ordering a separate mains adapter from Pure spares.
That gripe aside, radio looks good in our kitchen and the sound is OK.
on 9 September 2015
Brilliant. Use it every day both at home and when travelling in our motor home. Also purchased a power pack which means we have use of the radio and alarm whilst travelling in motor home. Great reception, looks good and is small and compact. Remote control is most useful.