1,295
Size: 32 GB|Package Type: Frustration-Free Packaging|Change

on 26 September 2014
This is cheap, and made by a known brand.

However, one of my computers that works fine with all other USB drives, takes about a minute to read and recognise it.

Also, the drive appears very slow for a 3.0 USB drive, in various computers.. It just seems to be like a fast USB 2.0 drive.

Finally when you transfer a larger file (lets say 1GB) it gets really hot; too hot to touch, which makes me wonder whether it will last long or whether it poses a fire risk.

In general you get the impression of a device struggling to keep with its advertised specifications, with two much internal resistance that slows it down and makes it hot.

If you want a cheap, large, reasonably fast drive it may be worth buying.

If you want a true USB 3.0 drive, and are worried about fires then buy something else.
on 24 April 2015
Frankly I bought this product in December of 2014 to use as a large size portable storage device when I travel, but also to store pictures and sensitive data. This is the worst product I have ever owned. The read/write speeds are nowhere near USB 3.0, the disk gets very hot when inserted into the USB port, and on top of that it completely crashed on me causing me to lose very important data that I can now not recover. One might say you should never backup to less than two places at once. That's true, however, I was on the move and needed to format my laptop - this drive was the only thing I had on hand. I tried recovering my files, but very few were recovered and on top of that I tried to use it again. Using it again has yielded the same conclusion - that this drive is inferior to any drive I have ever used in my life and would not be recommending it to anyone. The drive crashes time and time again, and on top of that is not visible by any operating system (Mac OS, or Windows). Of course I will not be returning this drive, as no matter how many times I format it I will never feel safe knowing that some sensitive data may be recovered - so I will just take a hit on this item despite having paid almost £40. All my other portable disks are Western Digital, not having missed a beat in years. I also own two Sandisk flash drives. I think you can't go wrong with those.
on 15 March 2016
This worked for less than 6 months. It seemed good at first, transfer speeds were quick, but despite being used less than 10 times and being kept in a padded case, securely strapped next to my two hard drives... this died. No warning, no damage, just a dead USB stick. Absolute waste of money.
on 16 June 2015
GREAT WELL MADE PRODUCT DOES WHAT YOU NEED, stronger than picture suggests, bit slow for transfers of large files, excellent for small mp3 files but awful for large movie files as they take ages and ages, mowed the lawn and collected the grass and came back in and it was still transferring the six hd 10gb files I had selected after half an hr! to be fair this performance issue is standard for this price level. ive had lots of brands and found little difference
on 29 October 2015
A friend of mine who works in IT mentioned that the speeds of these USB sticks can vary enormously (even the USB3 compatible oness). So the very first thing I did with this one was copy some files. It's amazingly SLOW and will be going straight be to Amazon. Spend some money and don't waste your time with this model is my advice.
on 17 February 2016
I really like this data traveler usb. I have noticed that when I go to use it on my computer with another usb that I have, I like the fact that it shows as Kingston on the computer so I don't have to think is it E or is it G, like I have done with others.
on 29 November 2015
Not the fastest stick on the block. The transfer rate graph goes up and down like a yoyo. (Average 5MB/sec).
But reliable and a fair price. I have several of these, one for videos, one for music , one for photos etc as I like it like that but you can load lots of data on a 32GB stick.
I already own two16gb Kingston flash drives and they have proved straight-forward to use, robust and reliable. So, unless it should happen that packing 128gb into essentially the same space as 16gb gives problems, I am reasonably confident that this one too will continue as well as it has begun.

The nominal 128gb capacity is whittled down to a practically useful 115gb of available space, slightly less than 90% of the nominal. On their website Kingston offer some plausible explanations of why so much space is held back, but it can be disappointing to find you haven’t got as many gigabytes as you thought you had paid for - and 10% less on a drive this size is massive.

My read and write speeds are lower than those produced by standardized tests, no doubt because, like most of us, I generally have a lot of other things running on my computer at the same time. However, for my purposes – essentially just backing-up archive files – it doesn’t matter that the initial transfer of bulk data took a while, as from then onwards downloading the odd file or uploading a single day’s new or modified files is done so fast you would struggle to measure the time it takes.

The backwards compatibility to USB 2.0 is a plus for those of us with a mix of new and older equipment.

Like my other Kingston drives, the width (in this case 20mm) rules out using two USB sockets that are close-coupled side by side. Each item, or its plug, needs to be no more than about 15mm wide for side-by-side use.

The slot for a key ring is in the valuable part of the flash drive, not the cap (as it is with two others – other makes; older models – that I possess). So if the cap and the main body part company at some critical moment, you should be left with the part that matters, not just the cap.

The flash drive comes with minimal documentation, but the Kingston website is well worth a visit and www.kingston.com/support is genuinely useful.

A generous five year ‘defective product’ warranty is provided, so most things that could fairly be laid at the manufacturer’s door should be covered.

I will add to this review below if any problems emerge as time goes by.
on 27 January 2016
I now have half a dozen of these and am very pleased with their performance. I use them with Windows 7, Linux and a disconnected from the internet Windows XP system. They have proved very reliable in copying and transferring files between systems.
on 10 December 2013
Well I had 14.5GB of large video files of varying video formats ranging from 716 MB to 2,198 MB to put onto a Kingston DataTraveler 101 Gen 2 16GB USB Drive thumb (flash) drive for a friend. I decided the best way to do this was to simply grab the whole lot and do the transfer while I went out to post a parcel.

I came home some 15 minutes later and my computer was telling me there were still some 45 minutes left!!

I lost my temper, stopped the transfer and came onto Amazon to spend as little money as possible on a USB 3.0 Thumb (flash) drive, as a Christmas gift for him.
I found this Kingston, the cheapest option and ordered two of them.

OK, here we go - the same computer, the same folder, the same files, and the same all-in-one-go transfer. The only difference - the new Kingston thumb (flash) drive was put into the front USB 3.0 slot (connected to a USB 3.0 Header and not directly out the back of the mobo).

With nothing else going on regarding software usage as was the case when I went shopping, all the files transferred in a grand total of........wait for it!

11 minutes and 06 seconds......a difference of 48 minutes and 45 seconds.
The write speed averaged 174.2Mb/s (megabits per second) or if you prefer 21.77MB/s (megabytes per second)

Taking the files back off and putting them back onto the same HDD took 4 minutes and 18 seconds:
That is makes average read speed of 56.2MB/s (megabytes per second) or 449.6 Mb/s (megabits per second)

It beats hands down the original drive I was trying to use.

All in all if it is a great speed increase over a USB 2 drive you are after then it is a very good drive for the money.- Superb, nuf' said!