Customer reviews

on 27 March 2014
I am angry with myself for paying £24.99 for this book (+ eBook).

-> The grammar is poor, I doubt that anyone actually proof-read or reviewed it.
-> Relevant code snippets do not accompany the text, instead there are references to code source files making it impossible to follow if you haven't the downloaded the source (eg if reading on your mobile device), even if you have the source you have to switch between the book and the source file to make sense of the discussion.
-> Previous knowledge of Haskell is required because the quick tour of Haskell provided over 6 pages is inadequate for understanding the language concepts used in the book.

On the plus side, it does contain some interesting technical information, provides some implementation of statistical methods and utilizes some advanced Haskell libraries.

I actually think this could be a good book if the publisher paid more attention to it. I will be careful of PACKT titles going forwards.
on 21 November 2013
This book is more like a first draft than a production copy. Poor grammar makes it hard to understand. I think it assumes quite a lot of Haskell knowledge, contrary to its description. Some useful information is provided, but I would value it at £3 - £5 pounds. I feel a bit cheated really.