1,598

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 30 November 2016
I loved this book and could not put it down! There are two stories running throughout the book, present day Sue, who is happily married to a politician, cannot understand why her daughter Charlotte walked in front of a bus and is now in a coma. Was what happened really just an accident? Meanwhile we also read diary entries from a much younger Sue, whose joy at her relationship turns to something far worse when her boyfriend shows what he is really like. To begin with there are no clues as to how or if these two stories connect, but figuring it all out as we reach the ending is really gripping. Recommended if you like thrillers and family drama as this book is a bit of both!
on 17 November 2016
I really enjoyed The Lie, so when I spotted The Accident, I had to grab it.
Sue's daughter, Charlotte is in a coma after being hit by a bus. Everyone thinks it was an accident, but Sue is not so sure.
There's a lot of discussion about unreliable narrators in thrillers at the moment. In theory, Sue is an unreliable narrator because of her PTSD, except you know that what she thinks happened, did happen. Where the unreliability kicks in, is when she ascribes meaning to the things that happened. This works very well in that it provides some interesting twists to the plot where you're not sure if Sue is right...

This is a tense story, well told. Sue is a believable and, because you understand how she became the way she is, sympathetic. Her feelings of guilt (because being a parent is full of guilt, no matter how hard you try) and fear and the fierce need to protect her daughter were all wonderful. The secondary characters were brilliant (I especially liked Brian) and even the baddie is almost understandable.

A great book. It pretty much swallowed up my Sunday as I kept sneaking off to read it.
on 9 April 2017
The Accident starts off with Susan by her daughter's bedside, Charlotte is in a coma as a result of what appears to have been an accident when she stepped in front of a bus. Susan knows this was no accident and what follows has got to be one of the most tightly plotted and chillingly paced psychological thrillers I have read in a long time! The reader is then taken on a journey from the present day to the 1990s through a series of diary entries which outline a past from which Susan fears that she will never escape - a past she fears has come to haunt her and to claim the life of the daughter she cherishes.

Through the diary entries the reader begins to understand what lies behind Susan and her unreliable narration throughout the book; as a reader you sway between believing her and thinking that just maybe she is unstable and unwell. I was frustrated for Susan as I very much believed her from the outset; I felt her pain and anguish as a mother and a female and wanted to slap her husband, Brian, at times as he just seemed to want to medicalise her every emotion into one that required a chemical cosh to deal with.

Charlotte's story is told through the voice of her mother and her acquaintances and as a reader I felt a strong empathy for her.The characters we come across evoke some very strong emotions from revulsion to pity throughout. There are some powerfully written characters in this book (but I don't want to go into too many details and give the game away!)

The Accident tackles some extremely dark and emotional themes, abuse and control alongside secrets and lies; at times it is not an easy read for sure but it is not gratuitous; as a reader I hope it engenders an understanding of the impact emotional abuse can have on an individual and why it is not just as simple as walking out and leaving for some victims.

I finished this book almost in one go (apart from a short sleep in between) and it was a gripping, chilling and twisted read that kept me guessing all the way to the end. The Accident will mess with your head - a sure-fire winner for me!
on 24 May 2017
I enjoyed this fast-paced, twisty thriller about Sue whose daughter Charlotte walked in front of a bus and is now in a coma. Sue embarks on a mission to find out what really happened, and if it was really an accident. The story goes between past and present as we find out what really happened to Charlotte.
on 20 March 2017
A friend put me on to this writer's novels and I have enjoyed every one of them. Each novel has an original idea woven into a believable story. Throughout "The Accident" I was intrigued to find out Charlotte's reasons for her actions. I will recommend this novel to others.
on 6 April 2017
I read this book within one day, I couldnt put it down.
I could feel myself getting frustrated for Sue whilst reading it.
The only thing is there NEEDS to be a second book! I need to know what happens when Charlotte wakes up!
on 7 October 2016
This book is one of the best thrillers I have read in a long time. I read it in a day as it was so good and I was unable to put it down. Loved every bit of it! C.L.Taylor - amazing work!
on 4 May 2017
Glad I have read the latter books first, as they are so much better than this. Didn't pull me in at all so obvious who was behind it all.
on 21 April 2014
Fantastic story line and characters. Saying that, Susan was a bit too weak as a woman in the early stages and didn't really gain that much strength as the story went on. But I admired her determination to find out the truth and the lengths that she went to. Read this in a couple of days, well worth the read.
on 25 March 2017
Great read. Well written with a surprising ending. Recommended.