1,387

on 6 January 2016
Gosh, what a good story! I bought this because it was on offer and then forgot about it and didn't read it for a year. I am so glad I remembered it! It's a brilliant and intense psychological thriller, well paced and always dropping just enough teasers to make you want to read on. I'm glad it was British too, easier to relate to. Would definitely recommend.
on 15 September 2015
Really enjoyed this book an also The Lie. Waiting for the next one now. It's really good to find an author who can keep up the interest in the story all the way through. C.L,Taylor does this, writing a chapter from the past and a chapter from the present or very recent past so that an understanding of the characters builds up. There is a lot of suspense and I was up late reading to the end.
VINE VOICEon 23 November 2014
Forty-three year old Susan Jackson, a domestic abuse survivor, is the wife of an MP and has a fifteen year old daughter, Charlotte, in a coma. The eyewitness accounts suggest that Charlotte deliberately stepped out in front of a bus. Susan finds Charlotte's diary, which raises more questions about her daughter's state of mind rather than provide answers to what Charlotte was thinking. Susan soon realises that she knows very little about what was going on in Charlotte's life and is determined to get to the bottom of what actually took place on the day of the accident.

I really enjoyed this suspense mystery thriller, it was easy to read and hard to put down as each chapter unravelled Susan's discoveries about her daughter and the horrors she experienced in her past alternately. This alternation kept me at the edge if my seat in both scenarios, each chapter ending on a cliff-hanger. The characterisations were compelling and I really did like Susan despite her flaws.

The only minor issues that hugged me was some of the primary and secondary care medicine. I'm not sure what Susan's GP prescribed her but whatever it was a follow up in 6 weeks under the circumstances was negligent in my opinion. Also a monitored patient in a side room with an out of working order call button for days? I know the NHS has it's faults but I pray this never happens but I appreciate the old adage of never say never.

Overall a very readable and enjoyable suspense and mystery thriller from a new author, I do recommend this read very much.
on 26 April 2014
I picked this up one Saturday morning, thinking I'd read the first couple of chapters and then get on with the day. I was still there on the sofa when the sun went down, having found myself utterly engrossed by Taylor's brilliantly-drawn characters and compelling storytelling.

It's Taylor's clever plotting that keeps you turning the pages. She skilfully intersperses the present-day story with flashbacks to Susan's younger years, spinning out the mystery in each storyline so that you want to read just one more chapter. And then another, and another...

Though it's the plot that pulls you through the book, it's her central character that keeps you involved. Susan Jackson is the heart of the book, a prickly and paranoid woman to whom you gradually warm as you realise how she came to be this way. As the book reaches its tense climax, you'll be rooting for her as if she were an old friend.
Like some other reviewers, I picked this out because it was a Kindle bargain, and I'm glad I did. While I didn't find it as gripping as others have, nor did I think think the twist particuarly "shocking", I was pulled into the story, and wanted to keep on reading

Teenager Charlotte is badly injured when she's knocked over by a bus, and for most of the book she is in a coma in hospital. Meanwhile, her parents must confront two big questions: was this an accident, or did Charlotte intend to commit suicide? And more importantly, will she recover? The first person narrator is Susan, Charlotte's mother, and the story alternates between the present and the past, when Susan was involved with James, a man with secrets (she subsequently married Brian, who is Charlotte's father) who has had a profound influence on her and on the story. The narrative moves easily from the past to the present, and I became involved with both (this doesn't always happen). The tension is well built up, but there are a great many twists and turns, and at the end, one big question remains unanswered. Why? (No details to avoid spoilers.) Also, I was puzzled that a gravely ill unconscious girl was apparently left unattended by any medical staff for much of the time. Surely she would have been cared for on an Intensive Therapy Unit? And her parents, while distressed, didn't seem as upset as I would have expected them to be, and spent a lot of time away from her bedside. As a mother (and a nurse) I found this odd, and not really believeable.

So for me, a mixed bag. I enjoyed the book, but not enough to give it more than three stars.
Sue Jackson's daughter, Charlotte, walked in front of a bus and is now in a coma. Sue's husband, Brian, believes it was an accident but Sue thinks there is more to it than that and sets to trying to find out what really happened. Sue has demons in her own past which she also has to deal with.

The story is told by Sue which really helps to ramp up the tension in this novel as she desperately tries to get to the truth, and there are diary entries from 20 years earlier which tell the reader what Sue had to deal with in her past.

The Accident is a fantastic psychological thriller which I read in 2 days. I raced through the last half, unable to put it down as the sense of foreboding grew.

This is such a good debut novel which I found exciting to read and I think the author has a good career ahead of her.

Thank you to the publishers and Netgalley for allowing me to review this book.
on 11 June 2014
This is not my usually kind of book to read, I had been taken out of my comfort zone. The Accident is all about Sue Jackson and her Family and they have been thrown in to chaos when her Daughter Charlotte (15) walks in front of a bus that was done on purpose. The results are that Charlotte is in a coma. Sue believes this was not an accident. Sue reads Charlottes diary, which is where Charlotte confessed to having a secret. (oh my did she) Sue starts to retrace her daughter’s steps and finds a horrifying entry within the diary as sue goes deeper into charlotte’s private world.

Sue goes in her hunt for evidence, and she starts to mistrust everyone close to her daughter. We also go into Sue’s past life that was scary and horrific (not going into detail as I don’t want to give the plot away). In truth, there is a lot that Sue doesn’t know about Charlotte’s life. But there’s a lot that Charlotte doesn’t know about Sue’s. There is a nasty character in this story, the buildup of all the nasty things this character has done was a exciting part of the story, as is finding out about Charlotte and her character. She seems like the perfect student but like most teenagers, there’s more to Charlotte than what meets the eye.

As the events unfold it becomes so unbelievable and yet entirely believable based on what you already know about the characters and what's gone on before, I was hooked but not a wow factor for me but in the end was a really good read.
on 2 May 2014
So 15 year old steps in front of a bus & her mum relives her past while trying to find out why. It's not terribly written, though a bit far fetched at times. It has, however, one of the most medically unbelievable endings I have ever read. The author needs to find out what is possible.
VINE VOICEon 1 April 2014
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
C.L. Taylor's debut novel is a thriller similar to those by authors such as Samantha Hayes and Lucie Whitehouse: a normal person with a supposedly normal life finds things rapidly unravelling around them. In this case it's Susan, a middle aged mother whose fifteen-year-old daughter has apparently stepped out in front of a bus deliberately and is now comatose in hospital. Susan has no idea why her daughter would do such a thing and tries with increasing desperation to unravel the details and secrets of Charlotte's life so that she can understand.

The book has two parallel plotlines: the present day narrative and a series of diary entries from Susan's past. The plot unfolds rapidly and keeps the reader's attention well, although at times it can be difficult to keep track of all the different threads. The author plays with the idea of the unreliable narrator and we are given clues from Susan's past that make us - and Susan herself - wonder just what exactly is real. I found the subplot with a diary entries a little too depressing and predictable but I did not guess how the novel as a whole would unfold. The story was a touch farfetched in places and the plotlines were tied up a little too quickly and neatly at the end but overall I enjoyed reading this book and it certainly kept me gripped. I think readers who liked the authors mentioned above would like this too and I would certainly read more from this author.
on 16 May 2014
I found the first half of this book quite compelling, however then it deteriorated into ridiculous. I'm not surprised that people think Sue is crazy judging by her actions for most of the book. The hospital scenario towards the end is so far fetched that it ruined any hopes of redemption. Very disappointed by the ending.