on 9 May 2017
Having a profiler as the protagonist is a refreshing change and gives the story a different slant. Jefferson Winter certainly has an extraordinary ability to get inside the mind of the villain. He’s a likeable character, eccentric, intuitive, focussed and confident, but seems to lead a solitary life. Never in one place long enough to form lasting friendships or attachments.

The story flows well, with tension and suspense, and it was interesting to follow Winter’s thought processes, which drive the investigation forward. I enjoyed the writing style, everything was relevant with no unnecessary passages to slow things down. Just enough description for atmosphere and mental images to form. The chemistry between Winter and the ‘absolutely stunning’ Templeton was enjoyable, even if having the perfect blonde, blue-eyed sidekick was a bit clichéd.

The passages from the perspective of Rachel Morris, the present victim, are very well done and realistically convey the pain, terror and hopelessness of her situation. The chapters throughout are short and fast paced which add to the tension and the plot follows a winding road.

I’m intrigued to see how Jefferson Winter, a character with loads of potential, evolves in the following books.
on 21 March 2017
Well According to good old Amazon, it says  You purchased this item on 11 Jul 2014.    So I guess it's about time I caught up with the series, as I also have 4 more books from this author waiting patiently on my kindle, I need to get a wiggle on.

​I really wasn't sure what to expect from this book, but yeah, I enjoyed it.
​A good page turner that will keep you interested throughout. This is book one in the Jefferson Winter series and I have to say not a bad start. Ex FBI Profiler Winters is now a freelance consultant and on a case trying to help find someone who is abducting women, and then lobotomising them. It's a bit of a sick thing to do and really does add to the creepiness of this story.
​Winter is a great character and seems very good at what he does. I'm looking forward to reading more of this series now and seeing how things go for him, I'm ready to get to know him a little more and will be reading the next book soon.
on 9 February 2015
There is a new hero in my life and his name is Jefferson Winter! When I started this book a couple of days ago I was concerned as some fellow bookworms in my book club said it was so gory and they had to take a breather during the book...... Not me..... It was perfect for me (but now I am concerned how warped or depraved I am!). Each chapter galloped by at a fast pace, the dialogue and characters were faultless and I thoroughly enjoyed it from start to finish. So much so that I am about to start book 2 right now! (less)
on 28 July 2017
Murder mystery with a difference - no dead bodies but gruesome all the same. Well written and fascinating to read. A good length with plenty of detail with out repeating to much facts. I couldn't work out how it was going to end and found it gripping. I've down loaded the next 2 books in the series !
on 1 June 2015
A poor psycho novel , the main character was annoying , he was American and annoying as hell , when the author wrote all the American terms in the book it drove me nuts , sidewalk , cell phone ... So annoying , the character was meant to be some kind of genius but in reality he was really annoying and very unbelievable and unlikable. Way too long in the tooth for me , I won't be reading any more winter books , sorry James but he's that word again .. It was an annoying novel ...
on 5 April 2014
Not a bad debut, good plot - little bit unbelievable how Winter is *so* good & can crack a side case by email and tell a sheriff exactly where to find the murder weapon, but it's fiction, so ho-hum. Really annoying part was the constant descriptions of Templeton...such tight jeans, squinting and still managing to look sexy, yada yada yada. Can the female cop not just be good at her job or does she always have to be a sex-goddess to justify her place? Hope the author tones it down in future...after all isn't it mostly women who read this kind of book?
on 12 March 2014
Oh my giddy aunt, this was so good, I didn't want it to end.
I loved how the author took us through the POV of the victim it really made a difference to reading the book because you could see the victim's circumstance and willing the lead character to get there quick.
It took me a lot longer to connect with the characters but sticking with it was worth it because I'm going to get every book, I wish they were out once a week not once a year!
on 15 October 2017
I like series of books that's why I choose this author. Hope the main character develops more of a personality at the moment he is very monochrome. Have purchased the whole series on the strength of this book I hope I won't be disappointed.
on 11 July 2017
If I read a worse book than this again in my life I will probably give up reading. This is absolute complete and utter garbage.
on 14 May 2014
Wow! What a roller coaster ride. Thankyou James Carol. This is the best book I have read in quite a while and can highly recommend it. The fact that Sky TV have bought the option to turn this story into a series says it all. And it's only a debut book for Mr Carol. A great achievement. Interesting characters in a real page turning story. I lost a lot of sleep reading this and can't wait for his next book.