Customer reviews

Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£13.29

on 3 February 2014
Many artists have recorded the Great American Songbook - probably the last being a newly-changed Rod Stewart. But never like this. The arrangements are quite jazzy, particularly the a capella, but brilliant. Anyone who likes this timeless popular music and anyone who likes the extraordinary accuracy of intonation of these singers will love these two discs (yes, two - 90 minutes+) and want to play them over and over again and really listen to what is going on. I don't think the reviewer who was disapppointed by the absence of Western music should have expected that to be included in what has become known as the Great American Songbook.
on 21 February 2014
I always thought this style of music should be based on bass, rhythm and melody....we get two out of three of those things here....A cappella is an art and the King's Singers are certainly world experts, but in this repertoire I feel the music lacks something...most noticeably a rhythm section....the stuff with orchestra is better. Look elsewhere for renditions of these songs would be my opinion, good as the singing is...
on 3 March 2014
I love it, have played it continually since I bought it, absolutely brilliant. Brilliant catchy song choices, brilliant harmonies, brilliant album. Oh by the way, have I mentioned it's Brilliant. Enough said me thinks!
on 22 October 2015
Great American Songbook was my first Kings Singers CD purchase for a few years but I wish I hadn't bought it. Good songs but untidy arrangements with poor vocal diction, tone and note accuracy...very disappointing for a Kings Singers follower of many years. I would have enjoyed much more thoughtful full-group singing and less 'let evryone have a solo' arrangements with far more attention to Cambridge quality diction and tonal quality, particularly in the lower voices I have a dozen or more Kings Singers CDs but won't be buying any more.
on 29 November 2013
Wonderful music, disc 1 all choral, disc 2 with orchestral backing. All the old favourites for music lovers, 1930/1950 show/film scores,GREAT!!!!!
on 11 December 2013
The very best instrument is human voice and that record confirms it. King's Singers are great as always.. You won't regret single penny
on 1 January 2014
I gave it to a close friend for her belated birthday present and she was delighted and tells me she has enjoyed playing it
on 15 January 2014
I could listen to the King Singers all day and this is a great addition to my collection of their music.
on 27 May 2014
a really enjoyable cd
on 4 January 2014
This is a wonderful collection and the arrangements of well-known songs are excellent - at least in the a capella parts of the recording. I am glad I bought it but the orchestrally accompanied versions (of some of the same songs) do not really add value - perhaps because of the direct comparisons with the a capell versions. Or maybe it's just that the wonderful a capella singing is so good.