on 6 January 2014
As someone born in the same era and a keen motorcyclist for nearly 40 years, this book took me back to my own youth and explained a question I had always had about Nick's record attempts and never understood.. Why would you want to do it?
This is a very honest "warts and all" autobiography and reaffirmed my belief that you should never judge a book by it's cover and I now understand "why"
There is a lot of background and historical information that some may find heavy going but there is a lot of humour and anyone born in the late 50's will find themselves travelling back in time to there own youth.
Well worth a read..
on 26 February 2015
An enjoyable read overall and difficult book to put down. It is a riveting story of someone who has survived life using pure drive, determination and raw initiative. All the more remarkable given the difficult circumstances surrounding Nick's early upbringing. It is no wonder that throughout his life he has rebelled against the 'norm'.

The book gives a brave insight into the difficulties faced and the emotional effect it has had on him. I get the impression that it has taken much time for Nick to discover his real identity, to build his self-esteem and feel comfortable with himself. It is a good lesson to show others that you don't have to be limited by childhood experiences, despite it leaving many scars.

Nick has demonstrated though his many travels and experiences, the life choices taken, all of which have been very challenging. Some unsurprisingly haven't always worked out, but he has had the mental strength to move on and let go of any disappointment.

If there was to be any criticism of the book, in some of the later Chapters the longer philosophical extracts from his wider reading tended to distract from his life story. However, I can see why these extracts have been included, as one could see these as his 'inner voice' guiding him along... to the ultimate discovery that 'less is actually more'!

As someone who used to cycle alongside Nick with Glossop Velo (often being left behind in his wake as he sprinted away), never once during our chats did he reveal the difficulties at home. We went our separate ways upon leaving the schoolboy ranks... but it is so nice to be back in touch again and now to have read the first part of his autobiography to fill in the gaps.

Now looking forward to reading Volume 2.
on 13 November 2013
have been following Nick since 1983... the book fills in all the blanks on his life between the adventures and as to why he stopped the dream to be a pro on the continental cycle scene...
lots of history and delving in to past explorers... some times a bit too much...

how long til book II ?
on 4 February 2014
Great title for a book but I think he is being harsh on himself as I believe to do what he has done makes him an extraordinary man!!
Engrossing read from start to finish. Yes, it does get a bit deep in places but all was relevant to his life. From a motorcyclists point of view it worth rememembering that this book is primarily about Nick's life, his family and his cycling...the majority of his motorcycling is I'm sure in the next book.
I've enjoyed meeting Nick at various shows and found him an engaging character. This comes through in this book.
Had me dreaming of long trips to far away lands lightly packed and with little money. Instead I guess I'll be on my usual train to London tomorrow!!
on 27 December 2013
I've really enjoyed Nick's previous books and DVDs, great story-telling, great photography and film. I also met him at a bike show after reading 'Beyond Reason' and as I suspected, he is probably a couple of spokes short of a full wheel but what an inspiration and example he is.

Be many be bonkers to put his body (and sanity) on the line but it's what he does and deserves admiration and respect for that.

I hope to join him on one of his (not so fast and long) tours one day as he will be great company and entertainment.

A fascinating man with a fascinating life. Five top stars.
on 7 May 2014
I have a signed copy of Nick's autobiography volume one purchased from this years Manchester bike show. A truly absorbing read from an extraordinary man. I liked the way he breaks up the chapters giving you the chance to think about the very deep meanings in his story and complex early life. Plenty of humour in there as well. I spotted one or to printing errors and one factual but its a book to be rated with any of the great travel journals. Would have liked to see some maps to save having to pull my readers digest atlas off the shelf each time a new place cropped up. Chris, Barrow in Furness
on 28 April 2014
I bought a signed copy of this book at the NEC motorbike show last year and thought it would be a good read throughout the winter months. I have to say that it is one of the most interesting books I have ever read. I honestly couldn't put the book down and it kept my interest throughout the entire 400 pages. The content was personal, sensitive, thoughtful, informative, interesting and led me on a journey which shattered my previous stereotypical perception of what I thought was an ordinary man, he has led an extraordinary life. Highly recommended and I can’t wait for volume two.
on 14 June 2014
Dont buy this book if your trying to get anything done round the house etc! you can't put it down. Nick you're a top man. Full of gritty descriptions of a dysfunctional childhood and the tough environment. I laughed as he stopped the hot air balloon with a customers head and nearly cried as he described his mothers behaviour. The way Nick Saunders comes through shows a resilience that gives no one an excuse not to try in life(and succeed).One of the best books I have read in years. More, More !
on 21 January 2014
I have just finished this book and I really enjoyed his honesty. A thoughtful and intelligent man with a passion for adventure who likes to live outside the normal expectations of a life. It's a bit crazy at times and made me laugh but I couldn't put it down and often reread the chapter. As a lifetime motorcyclist and avid traveller and also coming from a family that was a bit different I could really empathise with him. Really looking forward to the second edition.
on 8 August 2014
This book is awesome and absolutely amazing, and It is extremely well written! I especially enjoyed the philosophical musings on being a adventurer/explorer and the many historical references to others of the same bent. Nick has certainly had an impressive life highlighted and anchored by an indomitable spirit. As with all of Nick's books, I am always inspired by him to make some riding experiences of my own. I look forward with high interest to Part 2.