on 3 February 2016
Not-a-little-girl-any-more lost...? Nah, it's Avril, she's fine. There's no wistful tone in reminiscing songs like "17", which seems odd, but probably just shows that Avril's generation are less screwed up than mine. Or it could mean that over production dampens emotion.
I'm sounding far more negative than I feel about what is a good album of beefy guitar-wall ballads and the occasional rabble rouser. If this was AvLav at 21 I'd be praising the worldliness of every number, but I might be scared that my favourite Canadian amp-throttler is going to go all Madonna, with beef jerky muscles and embarrassing gran dances in her 50s. "Give You What You Like" has a country edge that allows her to be a moody mare in her thirties while taking nothing away from her, sort of like Sheryl Crow but with none of the "I'm a folk singer at heart" credibility issues. Avril was always rock.
It's an album that plays well in the car on a higher than sensible volume. Musically I'd like a few more real guitar riffs rather than all chunking chorused overdrive. Production-wise less would definitely be more, but that's been 200% the case for every album after Under My Skin. And lyrically, Avs, every time you think "girl" try substituting "woman", just to see where the lyrics take you. I want you to be a snotty obnoxious little guitar brat, obviously, but those days are gone. That's why stuff gets recorded...
on 6 February 2016
The original rock princess is back. Back to rock with the dark edge that was missing from her pop album "the best damn thing". This album is Avril back to her best going back to her first album Let go. I like every song on this album there were a couple of stand out songs on for me like Let me go, and 17. I also like the experimental sound of Hello Kitty a Japanese style techno rock song. All in all Avril is back in black and to her best.
One person found this helpful
on 25 December 2013
Having anticipated this album since Here's To Never Growing Up was released, I'll have to admit that I thought that this album was only going to contain very energetic and purely pop songs, as the first two singles were very similar.

1.Rock N Roll 8/10- It took quite a few listens for me to really get into it, but after giving it a try, I feel like it serves as a great opening track to the album.
2. Here's To Never Growing Up 8/10 - A very high-energy track that will have everyone singing along with the chorus. For me it serves as the 'Accept me for who I am or get lost' anthem for this album
3. 17 10/10 - This serves as reminiscing love song on the album. This song isn't the typical love song, as it isn't full of emotion, but almost an element of thanks given by Avril for what seems to have been one of the best years of her life.
4. Bitchin' Summer 9/10: Despite the theme and lyrics of the song, this song seems to have "summer anthem" written all over it, I enjoyed the rap Avril does as part of the lead up to the final chorus. This song, if promoted right, could potentially be a great single.
5. Let Me Go 10/10 - I was a bit concerned when I heard that Chad and Avril were recording a duet for her album, as I thought it was going to be a very over-emotional, soppy love song, but I couldn't have been more wrong. This is one of my personal favourites from the album and the balance of perspectives presented in the song couldn't have been more perfectly.
6. Give You What You Like 10/10 - This is a stand out track for me, as it shows a different side of Avril that hasn't been shown in her previous albums. I wouldn't be surprised if it was chosen to be released as the fourth single.
7. Bad Girl 8/10 - This also shows a different side of Avril, with a heavier sound than the rest of the album. Rather than being out of place on the album, this song completes the album, as it shows that Avril can still bring out the unexpected after ten years. For me, the inclusion of Marilyn Manson completes the song.
8. Hello Kitty 9/10 - This song shows another genre that Avril could experiment with in the future. This song is very catchy, due to the electronic sound, rather than a purely pop song and I expect it would do very well if it was released as a single.
9. You Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet 7/10 - A very repetitive song that could easily end up being stuck in your head. I think it's a great song, but not one of the strongest on the album.
10. Sippin' On Sunshine 7/10 - Again, a very repetitive song that could easily end up being stuck in your head. It's a perfect song to play while the summer sun is shining, but still not one of the strongest songs on the album.
11. Hello Heartache 10/10 - A great song that reminds me of Avril's older albums. She expresses the painful loss of someone close to her, but reaffirms that they will always mean something to her, something that everyone could relate to.
12. Falling Fast 9/10 - A song about deeply falling for someone that you think is oh so right. Another song that everyone could also relate to. It is one of the songs that instead of being in-your-face, grabs your attention with purely the words of the song.
13. Hush Hush 10/10 - This song acts as a fantastic closing ballad to the song. With the soft piano during the verses and the drums during the chorus, it puts more emphasis on the different meanings on the song. It is definetly one of my favourite songs on the album.

Overall, if this album was promoted better and there were better single choices, this album would've been received better and would have charted better. I think it's such a shame that this album hasn't done better, as it is a fantastic album filled with variety and I would recommend it to anyone who I think would enjoy the album.
2 people found this helpful
on 17 November 2013
Well as a massive avril fan it saddens me to say that avril's last album was not great, or even very good. With it being a slow often uninteresting album. But this album combines all of the tricks that made her first three albums great. Taking happy anthem sounds from 'the best damn thing' with lyrics that some what reminiscent of 'under my skin' rounded off by the summer like vibe of 'let go'.
These songs are exciting and lyrically are much better than her last outing with her vocals somewhat returning to her first days. A brilliant album with diverse sounds track to track, meaning there is something for everyone. My track picks being 'hello heartache' and 'bitchin summer'
One person found this helpful
on 15 November 2013
I have all four previous albums from Avril and can honestly say they are all consistently excellent - you can put them on and let them play from start to finish without wanting to skip any songs. Could she do it a 5th time? I am very pleased to say - YES - and this could actually be her best album to date - absolutely stunning and she shows off her varied vocal talents to fine perfection - creating a different tone to several of the songs. BRILLIANT! One of the best albums I have ever bought. There is also a duet with her fiance Chad Kroeger.
on 20 January 2014
Avril Lavigne's music keeps on evolving and improving,showing her vocal and style versatility.
I love all her albums and would be hard pressed to name a favourite one or a favourite song.
It is great that the gifted Avril is not afraid to experiment musically,and feature some surprising duets on her albums:who would have envisaged her collaboration with Marilyn Manson!!
This wicked album features my theme tune in life in the excellent track Here's To Never Growing Up.
I highly recommend this album to fans of Avril and suggest that those unfamiliar with her work give this great album a spin
vonl
on 29 April 2018
nice songs. Avril always sounds loud but somehow it suits the music.
|0Comment|Report abuse
While there are a couple of tracks I just don't 'get' (Hello Kitty, for example), overall I love the album. As usual, there are a couple of truly gorgeous songs which encapsulate emotion and are perfect.
on 4 January 2014
Heard a track from this album on the radio & decided to get it . I'm over 50 & don't buy much modern music
But this appealed to me. I don't know any thing about the artist & don't want to, but this has some good tunes
On it . It's not ground breaking in any way ( we must have used up every permutation of chord progression by
Now ) but my ears like it & they would recommend it.
on 14 May 2018