Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£5.99

on 27 November 2013
Like many people have already written on here, this album seems to take a few playthroughs to grow on you.

Where I differ from most reviews on here is on Goodbye Lullaby - I think it's such an amazing album and has been in slot 5 of my car CD changer since Easter 2011 (which is impressive by my standards!)

At first I really thought Avril had dropped a huge clanger with this album, but it certainly grows on you and the diversity of tracks, while at first seem to make the album come across as rather jumbled, actually end up making it more enjoyable.

Give You What You Like (track 6) is completely mesmerising, and possibly the best song she has ever written. It's as close to perfect from Avril as I will ever hear. It certainly has similarities to I'm With You - both are very haunting by nature and also very brilliant.

It seems, by reading other reviews, that people have finally accepted that Avril is no longer 17, and cannot stay 17 and produce albums such as Let Go for the rest of her life. Ok, Lullaby might have been a little on the serious side but it had some really beautiful songs on it. This album really is a mix of all 4 previous albums.

It's been a great year for album releases. This is a must buy if you're remotely interested in Avril Lavigne.
on 9 November 2013
I wouldn't even dream of buying her earlier albums, 'cause I know what they sound like, "sk8r boy" and "girlfriend" and what not, these attract an audience slightly younger, there's nothing wrong with that I suppose. I, in fact, did bother with her previous effort; "Goodbye Lullaby" and was pleased that I did so as I thought some of the recordings on it were quite grown up, but here I can sense a bash at a different genre altogether, it's good that she included Marilyn Manson in her album 'cause she has shown that she can handle something totally different. Again with her duet with Chad, I feel something more grown up inside the album, pretty good piece of music as a whole and put well together. My opinion is; that this album will be quite successful and will most likely increase her audience capacity by age group. I almost don't care that the video for "Rock N Roll" makes me cringe! xD
on 2 February 2014
This album is amazing I love it, every song is beautiful especially "hush hush" and "hello heartache". She's such a gifted songwriter I loved her collaborations with chad and marylin Manson they were superb! I would recommend this album to anybody who is a fan of avrils or even if you are not then I would still listen to it you will not be disappointed with the songs I bought this as soon as it came out and it was worth every penny, I was not disappointed in any way as all of her albums have been amazing a true avril fan will really enjoy this I also really admire the change this album brings as most of the songs sound a lot different to her previous stuff but I love the change. Buy this album it's so good!
on 20 January 2014
Avril Lavigne's music keeps on evolving and improving,showing her vocal and style versatility.
I love all her albums and would be hard pressed to name a favourite one or a favourite song.
It is great that the gifted Avril is not afraid to experiment musically,and feature some surprising duets on her albums:who would have envisaged her collaboration with Marilyn Manson!!
This wicked album features my theme tune in life in the excellent track Here's To Never Growing Up.
I highly recommend this album to fans of Avril and suggest that those unfamiliar with her work give this great album a spin
vonl
on 9 November 2013
"Avril Lavigne" by Avril Lavigne contains songs of the heart that touch on the many emotional spectrums of being in love and navigating through the test of life. The music tunes are sprinkled with pop and rock, which complement her voice pretty well. Give What You Like, Sippin On Sunshine, and You Ain't Seen Nothin Yet are among some of my favorite songs from "Avril Lavigne" due to the cheerful messages in the songs. However, "Avril Lavigne" by Avril Lavigne also contains other types of songs that would appeal to other sides, such as the rebellious via such tunes as "Bad Girl" and "Fallin Fast."
on 15 November 2013
I have all four previous albums from Avril and can honestly say they are all consistently excellent - you can put them on and let them play from start to finish without wanting to skip any songs. Could she do it a 5th time? I am very pleased to say - YES - and this could actually be her best album to date - absolutely stunning and she shows off her varied vocal talents to fine perfection - creating a different tone to several of the songs. BRILLIANT! One of the best albums I have ever bought. There is also a duet with her fiance Chad Kroeger.
on 7 December 2013
All is Avril, no doubt but some songs give at least me som distinct associations. This is how I would describe it. Rock n' Roll, Bad Girl and the melodic ballad Give You What You Like sounds distinctly Avril. Let Me Go sounds Nickelback, obvioulsy. Then there is 17, very Kathy Perry to me (I'm just saying), Bitchin' Summer and You Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet are countrylike a bit "T Swiftish". Some dance stuff in the middle and then there are som nice ballads again at the end like Falling Fast and Hush Hush.
on 4 November 2013
Generally, I believe that the punk/pop/rock genre that Avril Lavigne represents is starting to fade away. After the way "Goodbye Lullaby" was treated by the audience I believed that she might have been over. And to be honest I wasn't anticipating for new material, though I was saddened by the thought of her never releasing anything ever again. But probably it was just me being over obsessed with #1s and huge radio hits. So I was glad when I learned that she was releasing new material.

"Here's to never growing up" is a moderate pop/rock song with not many chances of becoming a hit on the modern radio stations. A bit disappointing for lead single; she should have released something very up-tempo and catchy to get herself back in the game. "Rock n' roll" on the other hand could've been that song, but it also failed to make any impact at all. "Let me go" (the 3rd single) is a kind of boring song that leaves me indifferent, really.
The album cover is spectacular, although it doesn't reflect its sound. It looks dark, but it sounds mostly happy and careless. A good example is "Hello Kitty", which should become a single ASAP! It's so silly, modern and fresh that should blow the listeners' minds! Also "Give you what you like" `s haunting instrumentation makes it one of the best album tracks.

The best songs are:
-Rock N Roll
-Give You What You Like
-Bad Girl (Feat. Marilyn Manson)
-Hello Kitty
-You Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet
-Hello Heartache

All in all, her self-titled album is solid, full of very good songs, but not many have a prospective of becoming the comeback single everyone is waiting for. I don't think Avril herself gives a dime about becoming a hit as she used to be, as long as she doesn't lose her sound and her quality. And that's fine with me. It's way better than "Goodbye Lullaby" and is one step to the right direction. For what it's worth, it's one of the best albums of the year and hasn't disappointed as I expected! 5/5
on 16 June 2014
She has matured into a great singer and yet another great album. Loved duet with Mr Manson himself. Great rock album.
on 4 January 2014
Heard a track from this album on the radio & decided to get it . I'm over 50 & don't buy much modern music
But this appealed to me. I don't know any thing about the artist & don't want to, but this has some good tunes
On it . It's not ground breaking in any way ( we must have used up every permutation of chord progression by
Now ) but my ears like it & they would recommend it.